Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any 'warm' shoe suggestions

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 05:42 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Looking for a pair of shoes I can use for biking in the cold weather. I don't ride clipless (and please don't try to talk me into doing so, I'm just not ready). I usually ride with running shoes and use cages on the pedals. My feet get really cold when the temp drops into the 40's and below.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-02-09, 05:50 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cages are usually big enough to accomadate "dress" boots. The trick is to get something about 7 inches high and to order a half to full size larger than usual to give room for extra socks. Ideally, look for a solid leather boot. You will be astonished at how much warmer you feel when you have a good seal around your ankles. Here's an exampl of what I'm talking about.
https://www.wissotatrader.com/product...-Black-607724/
Old 11-02-09, 06:15 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read an article yesterday that recommended letting the footwear be moderately loose, rather than tight fitting. The space in the shoe or boot will serve as an insulation, or a place for heat to be stored. This came from a very active randoneer(sp). It does seem to make sense.
Old 11-02-09, 07:23 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might try some slip on booties to cover your shoes.
Old 11-02-09, 07:30 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are my favorite winter shoes.
Old 11-02-09, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Metric Man
You might try some slip on booties to cover your shoes.
Old 11-02-09, 07:33 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Winter socks works for me... I've liked PI Booties. But in no time all the unclicking and walking about had them torn to shreds.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 11-02-09, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Get the thickest merino wool trekking socks you can find, and then buy some chukka boots that are slightly loose with those socks on.
Old 11-02-09, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
First, understand that blood flow is what keeps your feet warm, so if you try to jam your feet into your regular foot ware with two pair of socks, you will have cold feet because of the restriction of blood flow.
You also have to wear a fabric that will provide insulation, wool is the best. Smart wool is a good brand name. You could also go to a ski shop and buy wool ski socks. Next you need shoes that will fit your feet with the wool socks and not compress the wool or restrict your circulation.
I just use my regular cycling shoes, with wool socks, it take care not to secure them too tight. If it really cold, mid 20's or lower, I'll add a liner sock. Don't forget you generate a lot of heat cycling, if you get cold, work harder.
YMMV
BTW, go clipless, if your riding in the winter, your ready.
Old 11-02-09, 10:11 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
This is my favorite winter shoe. Wool fleece lined, from Vittoria:

Old 11-03-09, 01:41 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The Shimano MW80 are nice shoes. Get them one euro size large and wear nice thick wool socks with a thin cycling sock beneath that.

https://brandscycle.com/product/shima...shoe-12086.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shimano shoes.jpg (11.0 KB, 8 views)
mw80bsole.jpg (25.7 KB, 2 views)
shmw80.jpg (34.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by billydonn; 11-03-09 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-03-09, 06:25 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
Mine, too, but seriously, Bud, do you really have winter?

Old 11-03-09, 06:32 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I don't ride in the winter without these

My regular cycling shoes, a pair of wool socks and the toe warmers handles temps into the high 30's. Anything below freezing and I wear the winter cycling boots with wool socks and the toe warmers.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-03-09, 06:45 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all of the good advice, I will try a couple of approaches and determine what works for me.
Old 11-03-09, 07:07 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
I recently bought these for late fall, early winter, hiking. They are amazingly warm with wool socks and as comfortable as the low top Merrell walking/hiking shoes they replaced. They are weather and wind proof.

I ride clipless with winter cycling boots so I can't comment on how these work with pedals and clips. Best of luck.

https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-Phaser-Hiking-Kangaroo/dp/B000OBX7G4/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1257253237&sr=1-30 https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-Phaser-Hiking-Kangaroo/dp/B000OBX7G4/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1257253237&sr=1-30

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 11-03-09, 08:19 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Many folks would say not, but as a Raynaud Syndrome sufferer, it doesn't take much to get my toes too cold. If I'm riding a 200k on a day that's cloudy and will stay in the 50's or below, I'll carry a second set of chemical packs, and use them when my toes get cold after the first ones quit. I've found that loosening the velcro strap nearest my toes on my Sidis a little, and putting the chemical pack on top of my toes does a nice job without bugging my feet or slowing me down at all.

For shorter rides, I wear a one-size-too-big pair of Shimano sandals with thin socks, then wool socks, then Goretex socks on my feet. One of the things I'm liking about commuting to work on my bike is that it splits my weekday cool weather rides, so I get a warmup in between.

Keeping my fingers warm, now that's a whole other battle.
Old 11-03-09, 09:03 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I ride down to well below freezing with only a pair of wool socks and my normal shoes (which are similar to those posted by pastorbob. The key is to ensure the shoes are big enough to handle the thicker socks while still giving you plenty room for circulation and air insulation.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-03-09, 09:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a pair of Shimano MT-60 for winter mountain biking. Performance has them for $120. I wanted Gortex as what ever I wear, the feet can still get wet and the Gortex is a good wind block as well as a breathable water proof barrier.

They can be used clipless or with out. You just leave the cleat hole cover on. You can read 17 reviews here:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sh...es/5360040188/

Al

Last edited by alcanoe; 11-03-09 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-03-09, 02:17 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I used to suffer with cold feet and hands but Found if I can keep them dry and stop the wind getting through the shoes- there is no problem. Couple of years ago and I got a pair of the winter grade SealSkinz socks. Advertised as waterproof but I did cheat with the winter grade. Then after a cold ride to the LBS I got a pair of the shoe covers to keep out the wind. Both the SealSkinz and the covers work. Both together and I am good to about 20F

Spike Milligan
Old 11-03-09, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had a light,warm shoe that came with a set of c.c skis I had at one time;think thay were L.L.Bean /Im going to try to find another pair if possible this year at Bean's. Cross country skiing is already started in Northern Maine ,soon here on the coast im sure.Will try to post results if I find them./Kenneth
Old 11-03-09, 05:51 PM
Retrogrouch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your running shoes have mesh tops anything you do to block the wind will help. I use gore tex socks inside my clipless shoes and/or toe covers over the shoes in moderately cold weather. When the weather gets too cold for this approach I go back to toe clips and the last pair of bike shoes I used with toe clips. Clipless shoes tend to be colder because they basically have a hole in the bottom that is filled with a piece of metal that is connected to the metal pedals which makes an excellent heat sink.

Last edited by J.P.; 11-03-09 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Thanks for all of the good advice, I will try a couple of approaches and determine what works for me.
Best Answer of all.

Read some cold weather manuals, do some research on the internet under Arctic Survival, Winter Hunting, etc. Then try some things. What works for you will probably be an amalgam of different gear and techniques and will be very personalized. Some things I do are overkill for some others while yet other people wonder how I can dress the way I do with so little clothing.

Two things to keep in mind when setting out on a winter adventure:
Before going be very sure you have tested all your gear for the time you expect to be out. Amazing how many times people will think just because they were warm for a half hour they will be warm for a half day. Wrong.

Be sure you have a clothing strategy for when something goes wrong; because it will. For Example: When I ran all year round it was not unusual for me to be running in temps of -35F to -50F. I had to be prepared to somehow survive in those temperatures when being thoroughly sweat soaked.

Good luck. Winter sports are among the absolute best.
Old 11-04-09, 12:31 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I good friend of mine has Raynards as well. She's always got cold extremities and it's hard to keep them warm enough. She has to keep all bundled up even when the rest of us are down to little or no outerwear. So I hear you on the need for extra effort on this.

A hearty +1 on the need to maintain circulation. Especially in yours and her cases. Do not overpack with extra socks unless your shoes are sized to allow it without squeezing too much.

The big thing is to keep out the air exchange. Booties would work great but I can't help thinking that the clip cages you're using would wear them out pretty quickly and that the loose booties could easily get twisted in the cages and restrict your feet from coming out when you need them to come out.

For winter riding up here where it rains a LOT I found a set of water proof high tops a couple of years back. They seemed like the perfect answer. As I recall they were SPD compatible but with the cut out seal that allowed you to make your own choice. The bonus is that being water proof they were obviously wind proof as well. And the higher top would make it easier to keep the cold away from the ankles and tops of the feet. Now for the other shoe dropping, it was two years ago and I moved on to other things before I could find and buy a pair so I have no idea who made them, what model they were or if they are still out there. Now there's lots of light hiking shoes that would do the same thing but if you can find a set of cycling shoes that do all this then they'll come with the stiffer insole that gives you that extra foot support to avoid hot spots.

On your issues with clipless I urge you to get over your worries and try them. I started off with clip pedals and then bought my first set of clipless after about a month. For me it was just that I couldn't seem to get the hang of flipping and catching the clip. Clipless, with their two sided clamps, just seemed like a lot less to worry about. But not only were they easier to get into and out of but I found that when adjusted for a loose but adequite tension that in an emergency I was able to tear the lug out of the pedals in almost any direction courtesy of a bit of adrenaline. That isn't something you can do with toe clips. So while I know you didn't really want to hear this I really suggest you give them a try. I suspect that after a few days of using them and learning the new action you'll wonder why you left it for so long.
Old 11-04-09, 04:43 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
Booties would work great but I can't help thinking that the clip cages you're using would wear them out pretty quickly and that the loose booties could easily get twisted in the cages and restrict your feet from coming out when you need them to come out.

That's why I recommend the all leather boots. Treat well with a waterproofer and you are set for temps down to -4F. They give all of the draft prevention of flimsy booties, are walkable, no cold conducting cleats, and are durable. As I said in my first post, allow extra room if you are going to add heavier socks. Finally, you can wear them for things beside cycling. If most of your riding will be in above freezing, wet weather "Bogs" might be a good choice, but you may have to size them to have room for an insulating insole as well as extra socks. https://www.bogsfootwear.com/details....ra-mid-classic
Old 11-04-09, 06:43 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=BCRider;9982927]
On your issues with clipless I urge you to get over your worries and try them.

I knew we would get back to clipless at some point. If I do try them at some time in the future, will I walk like a duck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.