Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

RD Exploded

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09, 04:26 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
RD Exploded

My riding buddy and I were out for an afternoon ride - not too long, 20 miles and not too fast, he is running a marathon tomorrow. We were starting up a hill and as he went to change down to the small front ring the chain missed the ring and went off. He kept pedaling to try to get the chain to hop back on before he had to stop. We are not sure what happened next but the chain must have also gotten between the spokes and the large ring on the cassett but in the end it ripped the RD off, sheared the mounting bolt and cracked the RD in the middle. The carbon chorus RD bit the dust and totally came off the bike (dangling like a limp sausage from the chain). I have never seen anything like it before. Seems like there was no other damage. We called the sag van in (his oldest son was at home) - he took the car and I finished the ride solo.

A beautiful day otherwise - but in the mid 40's.
Old 11-07-09, 04:34 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if the chain didn't get stuck between the frame and the crankset and when it caught the low chainring as he tried to get it back on, pulled tension on the rear der. The der. had to give and it broke.
Old 11-07-09, 09:13 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ouch! That's a pricey part!
Old 11-08-09, 02:18 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Did the same on an XT RD offroad. Didn't explode but it broke in half and snagged the chain into the Spokes. Luckily I had a chain breaker and rode back single speed with an out of true wheel. Think I would have preferred a sag wagon though.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-08-09, 06:50 AM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Ouch! That's a pricey part!
You bet - and it was only 2 YO. That is why it would be good to understand the root cause.
Old 11-08-09, 08:12 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Do you think if he stopped pedaling it would have prevented that? I don't know, just asking.
Old 11-08-09, 08:30 AM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
George,

Maybe, but if the chain was well jamed between the rear spokes and the cassett the wheel rotation would have ripped it out. When we looked at the bike that seemed to be the case.
Old 11-08-09, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Did the same on an XT RD offroad. Didn't explode but it broke in half and snagged the chain into the Spokes. Luckily I had a chain breaker and rode back single speed with an out of true wheel. Think I would have preferred a sag wagon though.
Used to be a fairly regular occurrence back in the early mountain bike days, and even more frequent with Simplex derailleurs in the '60s and '70s. I must have exploded four or five Simplexes on my old college Peugeot. I forget whether the first Japanese ones that showed up in the LBS were Suntour or Shimano, but the owner sold me one at cost to try out ("It's Japanese--I don't know how they'll hold up"). I used that derailleur from 1970 until I finally donated the bike in the mid-'80s.
Old 11-09-09, 05:18 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I love my "dork disk" the plastic guard that goes between the gears and the wheel. It prevents such tragedies.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.