Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Refinish my bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Refinish my bike

Old 11-14-09, 07:42 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Refinish my bike

I ride an old 1982 Raleigh road bike with upgraded components and wheels. I had the bike refinished in 1995 with DuPont Emron paint and the job was well done and the finish has held up very well.

However it is time to think about another refinish. I am thinking about powder coating. Has anyone done this? How did you like it? What do you think I am looking at in cost? Does it hold up?

Your thoughts and knowledge are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-14-09, 08:42 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On powder coating I hear it cost about 100.00 for most bicycle. But I think its worth it my self.And you need to take ever thing off the bike they just need the frame only.Good luck
Old 11-14-09, 09:16 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KDC1956
On powder coating I hear it cost about 100.00 for most bicycle. But I think its worth it my self.And you need to take ever thing off the bike they just need the frame only.Good luck
Do you think that would include sand blasting the frame to remove old finish**********

Old 11-14-09, 09:24 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes thats what I have been told all they need is the frame and they will do the rest for you not bad if you like your bicycle that much.When times comes I will do the same to my LHT but that will be a long time I hope.
Old 11-14-09, 09:37 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I had my V-Rex powder-coated in about '04. My cost was $75 for two coats of color and a clear coat. It came out looking very nice. It would have cost $30 more to have them strip the frame. I think I got a deal, though; that's the lowest price I've heard anyone quote.
Old 11-15-09, 06:28 AM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I had my V-Rex powder-coated in about '04. My cost was $75 for two coats of color and a clear coat. It came out looking very nice. It would have cost $30 more to have them strip the frame. I think I got a deal, though; that's the lowest price I've heard anyone quote.
The Emron paint that the bike was finished in was pretty chip resistant unless the bike took a real serious blow. Do you feel like your powder coat is a pretty hard finish? I am sure that costs have gone up some since 04 but even so I would pay $100 to $125 and think that would be reasonable.
Old 11-15-09, 11:37 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I had an old frame powder coated about a year ago. It was about $125 or so for one plain coat, including stripping off the old finish. I paid $50 extra for a metallic/candy finish, which looks great.

If your bike frame has steel lugs, you might want to make sure you're going to a powder coater who is experienced in doing bicycles. If they put the finish on too thick, you can lose the detail around the lugs. An experienced powder coater will know this.

If the bike is really special, you might want to consider shipping to these guys; they have a national reputation...

https://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/spwcontact.html
Old 11-15-09, 07:09 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I had an old frame powder coated about a year ago. It was about $125 or so for one plain coat, including stripping off the old finish. I paid $50 extra for a metallic/candy finish, which looks great.

If your bike frame has steel lugs, you might want to make sure you're going to a powder coater who is experienced in doing bicycles. If they put the finish on too thick, you can lose the detail around the lugs. An experienced powder coater will know this.

If the bike is really special, you might want to consider shipping to these guys; they have a national reputation...

https://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/spwcontact.html
Thanks for sharing that information. I will more than likly have it done here in Orlando to keep the down time and cost to a minimum.
The frames on the website that you provided some interesting thoughts.