Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding with a slower friend WWYD??

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding with a slower friend WWYD??

Old 11-15-09, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
I solved the issue of my wife not wanting to go as far or as fast as me by installing a front hub electric motor on her bike.
It has made our rides together much more enjoyable for both of us.
Old 11-15-09, 11:25 PM
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have gone on 2 long rides (approx 1500 miles each) with a good friend from work. I had done several long trips before, but these were his first. Most of the time when training after work for these rides, he would set a fast pace, normally faster than I was comfortable with, including the steep grades, but I had no problem keeping pace. When we started our trip rides, he would again set a fast pace but peter out after an hour or so and begin to lag behind, especially on the long steep grades. I finally convinced him to cycle in his comfort zone from the start, and I would follow unless we were in a strong headwind at which time he could draft me. On the very long steep grades, I would go on ahead at my pace and wait for him at the top, or ride down to him a couple of times to see that he was alright. We each were carrying full camping/touring gear. (I carried the heavier load to make easier for him) This system worked very well for us on both trips. We cycled from Vancouver B.C. to south of San Fransisco averaging 75 mi/day, and from Fairbanks, Alaska down the Alcan (alaskan) hwy. averaging 80 mi/day. Once he knew he didn't have to push beyond his ability, he enjoyed both trips as well did I.
Old 11-16-09, 08:19 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drop him like a bag of rocks. Let the vultures pick his bones. Go back and scavenge any valuables.

(But only if you're antisocial or downright sociopathic. If not, then what they said.)
Old 11-16-09, 09:43 PM

Bikes: Trek 620, Trek 560. Trek 830

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don, you did exactly the right thing!

It is fun to add a measure of socialization to your rides, but history has shown that my mates have been very slow compared to myself. An aggressive nature tempered by smoking, so I simply can't ride with non-smoking, equally aggressive skilled riders.

Friends simply haven't dedicated themselves to the sport. But hey, they are friends and we can share our insights on form and style if they ask. Or simply ride our own ride, like falling way behind, then let them become the hare for the hound within. Avoid blasting by them when they are caught, and catch them we will.

Good hunting!
Old 11-16-09, 09:46 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Get a mountain bike, put some knobbies on it and then ride with your friend.
Old 11-16-09, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good Grief Gertrude!!! What a question!! This ain't Dear Abby.

You knew what the deal was before you agreed to ride with the other person. Now either live up to the deal of riding a social ride or go hide your head in shame. If, for some reason you can't be social and considerate, then don't ride with the person. No one wants to be put down and insulted by the tactics you say you used.

Strong words. But, your description of what you did paints a picture of a person who could easily be described as a Bike Bully who needs to get a better attitude. Maybe you are bullying this poor person because you can't compete against the truly fast?
Old 11-16-09, 10:27 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
After two hip surgeries, my wife is considerably slower than me. Now I ride my 40+ pound Raleigh Superbe; she rides her 20 pound custom bike and we go at her pace.
Old 11-16-09, 10:41 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Different rides for different purposes. I ride with a few different groups. One group is clearly a "cruiser" group that lolligags and goes maybe 10 mph. The other group actually has three subgroups at different speeds so I travel according to my mood, usually with the 15 mph group. And, of course, I ride by myself and set my own pace.

One thing that seems to help me is that I don't use a speedometer. Then speed means less to me.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-17-09, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I ride solo so don't have the problem but sometimes ride with "slow" riders. I stay with them till the hills and ride the hill at my speed. This is after telling him/her to take the hill at their pace...
I rarely ride with someone else, but I would do the same, telling them that I just like to mash the hills and get them over with, and I would slow down or wait at the top. I wear a rearview mirror to keep and eye out for them too. That's how my wife and I used to do it, including a cross country tour.
Old 11-17-09, 07:03 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
You didn't indicate if this was a "social ride" or a "training ride" (or, perhaps it was something completely different than these two). I don't subscribe to the notion that a social ride is anything other than a social ride. Hence, I hold the view that a slow ride is better than no ride.

When I invite someone for a training ride, we always discuss what we'll be doing on the ride. Typically, this means the goals of the ride and how to get both sets of goals met (there are almost always two sets of goals). This usually translates into a ride that with which we're both satisfied. I have one friend who is a much stronger rider than I am. He is a gentleman. Hence, he always works to make those around him feel at ease. Even when we do training rides, I know that he'll wait at the top of the hill and do his wind sprints out and back to where I am along the ride route.
Old 11-17-09, 08:58 AM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Latitude65
Good Grief Gertrude!!! What a question!! This ain't Dear Abby.

You knew what the deal was before you agreed to ride with the other person. Now either live up to the deal of riding a social ride or go hide your head in shame. If, for some reason you can't be social and considerate, then don't ride with the person. No one wants to be put down and insulted by the tactics you say you used.

Strong words. But, your description of what you did paints a picture of a person who could easily be described as a Bike Bully who needs to get a better attitude. Maybe you are bullying this poor person because you can't compete against the truly fast?
If I was bullying him, then I hid it from him pretty well. At the end of the ride he suggested we go out again and said we seemed to be pretty well matched. (!!) Does occasionally stretching one arm or leaning back and stretching my back constitute bullying to you? Apparently, it didn't to him. Regards "can't compete again the truly fast" I am totally aware there are lots of riders faster than me out there.

You read WAY too much into the post. I was discussing ways to brake the boredom or pent-up feeling of a slow pace and found one solution in working on keeping a high cadence. Do you have any positive suggestions?

Don in Austin
Old 11-17-09, 09:04 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
I have a friend like that, and we ride together once a month or so. We both have government jobs and had last Wednesday off, so we rode off to lunch and to a bike shop. He rode into town to meet me so by the end of the day, he had 65 miles to my 50.

Our route was along the Erie Canal MUP--he strongly prefers the flats--mainly the paved portion. I ride this frequently on my "long loop" to work. My cruising speed in this section is generally around 17 or 18, with a range from 15 to 22. My friend struggles to achieve double digits.

I'm afraid we're a really mismatched pair too--me in tights, booties, jersey and Giro Ionos, him in sneakers, stretch denim jeans with geek straps, a puffy vest and an old mushroom cap helmet. But we're friends so who cares?

Government job, struggles to achieve double digits, sneakers, stretch denims w/geek straps ...

I DON"T REMEMBER EVER RIDING WITH YOU!!!

I am all of those things!!!

I am so slow that I don't ride with others. Have only ridden with others 3 times in the past 3 years, once with a visiting friend who is as slow as I am, and twice with my wife, who is slower than I am. People that I know who ride don't like taking 3 hours to do a 25 mile ride (with stops included).

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 11-17-09, 09:15 AM
Wheezy Rider

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of the reasons I enjoy riding on my own is that it relieves the guilt of holding everyone else up. And it's less embarrassing if nobody sees me get off my MTB to wheel it around those big pebbles.
Old 11-17-09, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
I once rode 5 miles on the Katy trail with a backpacker. I was riding my fully loaded touring bike, don't recall being bored we had a nice conversation and the scenery was beautiful. Speed doesn't relieve boredom for me.
Just sayin'

Allen
Old 11-17-09, 10:36 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
One girlfriend and I did some tours together, we worked it out that we'd just ride at our own paces and that I would stop frequently to be with her again. And of course, I carried all the heavy stuff.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-17-09, 11:52 AM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
People that I know who ride don't like taking 3 hours to do a 25 mile ride (with stops included).
If your ever in Colorado, look up my wife and I and we will be happy to ride with YOU! My bicycle computer went beszerk on me back in May, I haven't missed it at all, we ride to have FUN, get a little physcial exersize and a mental break from the maddness that is the world today, your not alone!

Old 11-18-09, 10:47 PM
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lew
Have gone on 2 long rides (approx 1500 miles each) with a good friend from work. I had done several long trips before, but these were his first. Most of the time when training after work for these rides, he would set a fast pace, normally faster than I was comfortable with, including the steep grades, but I had no problem keeping pace. When we started our trip rides, he would again set a fast pace but peter out after an hour or so and begin to lag behind, especially on the long steep grades. I finally convinced him to cycle in his comfort zone from the start, and I would follow unless we were in a strong headwind at which time he could draft me. On the very long steep grades, I would go on ahead at my pace and wait for him at the top, or ride down to him a couple of times to see that he was alright. We each were carrying full camping/touring gear. (I carried the heavier load to make easier for him) This system worked very well for us on both trips. We cycled from Vancouver B.C. to south of San Fransisco averaging 75 mi/day, and from Fairbanks, Alaska down the Alcan (alaskan) hwy. averaging 80 mi/day. Once he knew he didn't have to push beyond his ability, he enjoyed both trips as well did I.
Having stated that I enjoyed both rides wth the friend from work, I still prefer to do the long rides by myself. I enjoy going at my own pace, stopping when I want to, pushing hard when I feel right to, and not worrying if I am going too fast, or slow for the other(s).
Old 11-19-09, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Froget your hurry. Toke up and ride the enchanted bikeway. With your friend. bk
Old 11-20-09, 04:11 PM
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High cadence is my usual answer, let them set the pace. You could try some ILT too, but to be polite -- wait 'til they're in front of you.

I've met friends for a short & slow group ride once in awhile. I'll put in a hard 40-50 miles first, then cruise with them as recovery/spin.
Old 11-20-09, 10:35 PM

Bikes: Trek 5.2 and Trek 2.3 WSD upgraded to full Ultegra.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Let them lead.

2. Shift down and increase your cadence. This will slow you down while increasing your workout.

3..Remember that friendship, like everything else worth having, comes with a price.

4. Leave your slick road bike at home and ride your heavier, clumsier hybrid.

5. Try ankle weights.
Old 11-21-09, 05:23 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=palookabutt;10057765] You could try some ILT too, but to be polite -- wait 'til they're in front of you.

QUOTE]

I'm lost...sorry
Old 11-21-09, 08:29 AM
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ILT- some say Individual or Isolated Leg Training. It is when you unclip one leg and pedal with only one leg. The purpose is to identify weak spots in your pedal stroke and correct them. Choppy, jerky and chainslap are the most obvious visual and audible indications of a pedal stroke that needs work. It is best performed on slight grade or my favorite on a 5-6% grade. I often prescribe them to my clients on the trainer. The trainer will make an inconsistent whir as opposed to a nice hum. You'll notice your choppy pedal stroke even when pedaling with both legs on a trainer.

Another way to ride with weaker/slower riders is to take them on a climbing ride in the mountains. I do this often with Brandy. We warm-up together then I climb at my pace then go back down and climb at her pace and summit a second time. The reasons I suggest a mountain are:

1. There are no traffic controls (lights, stop signs) so you won't get split up a common problem when riding with slower riders.

2. You are on the same stretch of road (8 mile climb at least 1 hour)

3. You get a good workout (summit twice)

4. They climb at their pace and don't feel guilty for holding you back.

OR just get a tandem and put them on the back

[QUOTE=kr32;10059646]
Originally Posted by palookabutt
You could try some ILT too, but to be polite -- wait 'til they're in front of you.

QUOTE]

I'm lost...sorry

Last edited by Vireo; 11-21-09 at 08:39 AM. Reason: fixing typos from original response via Blackberry