Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My New to Me Fuji, One of you should be able to help....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 12:18 AM

Bikes: Trek 620, Trek 560. Trek 830

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Vintage Fuji Suncrest? Any Fuji experts willing to lend a hand in identifying the Fuji frame I took delivery on today?

It's an interesting challenge. The basic information is:
Fuji Suncrest, 22 inches, Tourquoise
Frame is CroMo, Tig Brazed. Top, Head and downubes are 1.25" in diameter
Seat Tube is 1.125
FD & RD are Shimano Deore
Crank is Sakae SX with ramps and guides to facilitate the indexing
Bar mounted Thumb shifters are indexed, and are seperate from grips/levers
Grips and Brake levers are Shimano unit
Front Brakes are Shimano Cantilevers, but much smaller than the Altus
Rear Brakes are Shimano Cantilevers also, and may be U brake type and mount under the BB
The Stem appears to have a vinyl coating in a contrasting color, though it may just be painted

Normally I would attribute the bar shifters to the early 80s, but the fact that they are indexed would seem to pull it forward a bit. The TIG welding of Cro Mo, in my understanding, would bring it serveral years forward. Fuji was an innovative manufacturer, but these incongruities create a mystery for me in any case.

The issues I need assistance with are 1) Approximate date of manufacture; and 2) The number of freewheel cogs it came with. Or, you may be able to share sources to this information.

XPosted in C&V & MTB
Old 11-21-09, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What! no pictures!!!!! This thread is useless without pictures! There that's better, I had some extra grumpiness to get rid of.

Last edited by overthehillmedi; 11-21-09 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-21-09, 11:09 PM

Bikes: Trek 620, Trek 560. Trek 830

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the assistance in tracking down info on my Fuji Suncrest.

I have learned that the Fuji was made in June of 1985, but does not show up until the 1987 Catalog. This confirms Sheldon Brown's description of the hard times that fell upon Fuji, and the Japanese bike manufactures in general during this period.

Developing this kind of information is not an easy task. So to assist others, here are some links I have used.

Bike Pedia https://www.bikepedia.com
Provides specifications, msrp and other information for bicycles marketed from 1993 forward. With the Fuji, the first date of manufacture listed was 1994. I knew better, the frame was in my livingroom! Next stop for info was Sheldon's.

Sheldon Brown https://www.sheldonbrown.com
Wide ranging information from technical to vintage bikes. The links he provided for included one to my next stop...

Classic Rendezvous, https://www.classicrendezvous.com
World wide assemblage of vintage racing bikes sorted by country. Information on my Fuji came from this location primarily. The serial number encoding was explained unraveling a number of questions. Scans of catalogs prior to 1993 unraveled the rest.

Thanks again, and good hunting!
Old 11-21-09, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1987, 6 speed www.classicfuji.com click on models and cont. to click-off the dopey box.

Calling its color Turqouis.. penalty 1 point; using the term incongruous.. gain 1 point .. so we're even