Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Why this sudden Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/604874-why-sudden-delayed-onset-muscle-soreness.html)

Velo Dog 11-24-09 08:28 AM

Why this sudden Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness?

This isn't a big deal--I've always sort of enjoyed the soreness that comes after a hard workout, as evidence I really worked out. I never understand when people post complaints: "Oh, I lifted weights yesterday and now my arms are s-o-o sore..."
As I've moved into my 60s, though, the pattern has changed. I've typically been a little sore the morning after, but now it's often delayed a day or even two. It's a recognized phenomenon, with an official acronym, DOMS, and not an issue at all. I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced it. Sunday I moved two yards of gravel and two of topsoil across my yard with a shovel and wheelbarrow, unaccustomed labor for me. Felt fine Monday; Tuesday I'm a little tender. But enjoying it.

NOS88 11-24-09 08:44 AM

It's (second day soreness) always been that way for me.

tsl 11-24-09 09:17 AM

Hmmm… I guess I have to age a little more. I'm getting soreness starting from a couple of hours afterwards straight through for three days. I'm still sore from Saturday.

curdog 11-24-09 11:47 AM

I usually have only mild soreness the day after lifting weights. Soreness from cycling is very seldom except after extremely long rides, no matter the pace.

Daspydyr 11-24-09 11:54 AM

I have experienced the same soreness. I decided that everything is slower with age, even soreness. This was a good weekend for riding and today I feel it.

Coach50 11-24-09 12:02 PM

Count me in for second day soreness too. I'm usually feeling great right after work out and still pretty good the next day too. But when the 2nd day rolls along that's when the I feel it the most. I've always been that way too.

adamrice 11-24-09 12:17 PM

You're only starting to get this in your 60s? I was getting this in my 30s. Now I really feel old.

Billy Bones 11-24-09 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by adamrice (Post 10071424)
. . . I was getting this in my 30s. . . .

Mine started in the early 50s. I thought it was a bit odd, but never really thought to ask any of my brothers and sisters here in BF 50+. I'd love to know what it means.

gitarzan 11-24-09 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Bones (Post 10072168)
I'd love to know what it means.

What it means...

HIPCHIP 11-25-09 10:07 AM

They think DOMS is caused by acid that irritates the muscles, so if the muscles were used a little differently than normal, and the lactic acid built up a little, then you will get some minor swelling of the tissues and the soreness.
You know what pain is? It's your body telling you that you're not dead yet!!!

ModeratedUser150120149 11-25-09 08:15 PM

The body builders say DOMS is primarily caused by exercise that has torn the muscle fibres and is a good thing. It gives the body a chance to rebuild the muscle stronger than before. To do that a person must eat properly after the exerise to provide the proper nutrition for muscle building. A nearly immediate fast acting protein meal followed by complex carbs and slower acting protein some time later seems to be the usual recommendation.

I've not done the research to be able to provide a proper critique. But, this process is pretty well established in the nutreceutical camp.

fordfasterr 12-02-09 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Latitude65 (Post 10076857)
The body builders say DOMS is primarily caused by exercise that has torn the muscle fibres and is a good thing. It gives the body a chance to rebuild the muscle stronger than before. To do that a person must eat properly after the exerise to provide the proper nutrition for muscle building. A nearly immediate fast acting protein meal followed by complex carbs and slower acting protein some time later seems to be the usual recommendation.

I've not done the research to be able to provide a proper critique. But, this process is pretty well established in the nutreceutical camp.

Get the testosterone patch. Problem solved ! haha

Terex 12-02-09 10:15 PM

I've never gotten sore from riding. Fatigued - yes. Sore - no. Sub-5 hr. century over the summer, massive climbing rides, whatever. Just not sore. Maybe when I hit 60 in 18 mo. ;)

ModeratedUser150120149 12-02-09 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by fordfasterr (Post 10098319)
Get the testosterone patch. Problem solved ! haha

Hope the "haha" means you mean this comment as humor. Best I know unless there is an abnormal lack of this hormone adding it has not been proven to have any benefit but has been demonstrated to produce pretty severe negative effects.

As I posted before DOMS is presumed to be a normal part of an exercise regimen that is designed to build muscle. It occurs after the lactic acid buildup has washed out so I, for one, think the body builders are probably on to something. If a person has never exeperienced before it probably is just because they haven't stressed their muscles to the level they are now.

cccorlew 12-03-09 01:00 AM

I have it solved. I'm just sore all over most of the time. About the only time I'm not is after a ride, and that wears off pretty quickly.

Hermes 12-03-09 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Latitude65 (Post 10076857)

After track workouts, many of the racers, including yours truly, drink Muscle Milk (get it at Costco by the box) and put on compression technology.

Barrettscv 12-03-09 11:09 AM

In addition to eating properly and taking a recovery ride, I add an extra hour of sleep.

Michael

Hermes 12-03-09 11:30 AM

With respect to cycling (versus moving gravel), after a hard event/race or effort, it is important to spin out your legs. This is a 30 minute exercise not 2 or 3 minutes. After a race, most go for an easy ride or jump back on the trainer to flush the lactate out of the system to foster recovery and reduce potential soreness. And of course, there is post ride massage and using foam rollers.