Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It's that time of year already

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sometimes I don't know why I bother

Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 11-27-09 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-27-09, 12:19 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You know why- All those hints to the wife about the gloves wearing out-The bike could do with a couple of partsthat she knows the name of and then there are the moans to the kids that you need some new clothing to get out on the bike this winter. Then the morning finally arrives and you find the kids have bought you red Lycra shorts in a size too small- the derailler that the wife bought you is the latest version of Dure Ace and will not work with your "Retro" system and to cap it all- Santa's reindeer have pee'd on the gloves and they are now too small and have a funny smell about them.

You are right- Why bother.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-27-09, 02:52 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yea - but it doesn't seem like it. After a ride this morning it was off to the christmas tree farm to slay another conifer.
Old 11-27-09, 03:05 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What time of year?
Old 11-27-09, 06:20 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
It's that special time of year when many celebrate the sacred union of Sol Invictus and Gaia, who gave birth to the 30 Aeons, each in pairs, representing active and passive forces of the universe.

These pairs emitted the lower Aeons, the last of which was Sophia (of DaVinci code fame).

She harbored wicked thoughts for the highest father and gave birth to Thought, which upon being cast from the celestial realms took the personification of Achamoth. She in turn gave birth to the Demiurge.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Or you could keep your F'ing sour attitude to yourself and not go peeing on everybody else's Cheerios.

The choice is yours.
Old 11-27-09, 06:31 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
It's that special time of year when many celebrate the sacred union of Sol Invictus and Gaia, who gave birth to the 30 Aeons, each in pairs, representing active and passive forces of the universe.

These pairs emitted the lower Aeons, the last of which was Sophia (of DaVinci code fame).

She harbored wicked thoughts for the highest father and gave birth to Thought, which upon being cast from the celestial realms took the personification of Achamoth. She in turn gave birth to the Demiurge.

Can I have some of what you have been smoking, drinking or otherwise. Must be some good chit.
Old 11-27-09, 06:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Or you could keep your F'ing sour attitude to yourself and not go peeing on everybody else's Cheerios.

The choice is yours.
If only you had some clue what I was talking about -and, hence, to which you respond- but why let facts get in the way of your little dream world?
Not sure what I ever did to you that you seem to take me so personally. At least you have your crack pipe to keep you company.
Well, nothing personal here, chum, but where I come from, we have two words for people like you.
Old 11-27-09, 07:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
What time of year?
Speaking taking things personally -which I do sometimes. Maybe too much- it's the time of year for thanks, which I gave to y'all for your support and encouragement.
Well, ya'll except for the Weakest Link who went from being my self-professed twin to some poor bitter, hate filled schmuck.
But anyway, I don't often express gratitude so, when over 30 people read my thanks and blew me off, I had a little hissy fit. C'est la vie.
Old 11-27-09, 07:02 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,397 Times in 2,056 Posts
Here I thought he meant deer season
Old 11-27-09, 07:10 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
But anyway, I don't often express gratitude so, when over 30 people read my thanks and blew me off, I had a little hissy fit. C'est la vie.
There was already a Thanksgiving day cheer thread started - why did you feel the need to start another one? Everyone else seemed to think the one was adequate to share best wishes. Sorry if you felt singled out.
Old 11-27-09, 07:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
There was already a Thanksgiving day cheer thread started - why did you feel the need to start another one? Everyone else seemed to think the one was adequate to share best wishes. Sorry if you felt singled out.
Why? I don't know. Guess I just did. Honest mistake. It won't happen again.
Old 11-27-09, 08:31 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Happy day after Thanksgiving, SaiKaiTai.
Old 11-28-09, 06:03 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
What's Thankgiving????

Don't have it over here but I dare say it will arrive with the due process of time. Just Like Halloween.

Never had the "American" style of Halloween over here when I was young- and before anyone says it, I know that was long time ago. All we had were a few Mangel Wurzles filched from a local farmer hollowed out to show the face and if you could afford it- you put a candle in to illuminate the face. If you couldn't afford it- you put a rag inside and set light to that.

The "American" form of the festivity where the local yobs can bully you into giving them sweets or money did not arrive till about 10 years ago.

Have you got any other ways of terrorizing the neighbourhood that we should know about before they arrive.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-28-09, 06:36 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
What's Thankgiving????

Don't have it over here but I dare say it will arrive with the due process of time. Just Like Halloween.
Bet you don't have 4th of July, either!

Old 11-28-09, 09:53 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We had our Thanksgiving the first Monday in October. The big news in Canada about US Thanksgiving is Black Friday, the holiday you get because Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday, and it makes sense to take the Friday off (one of the best ideas Americans ever came up with), so all the big box stores take this as an opportunity to sell you stiff, so CBC reported that Bellisfair (the big mall in Bellngham, WA, about 40 km south of the Canada/US border) was open at 4 in the morning on Friday and the parking lot was full by 6 am, with lineups for the stores extending halfway around the mall.

Most of the shoppers were Canadians!

L.
Old 11-28-09, 10:01 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Bet you don't have 4th of July, either!
In Canada we have the 1st of July, aka Canada Day. The BC Randonneurs always put on a ride on that day, with one km per year that the Confederation has been in business. So this year, we did 142 km. I guess if you're an American, you would have had to have ridden 233 miles this past July 4!

L.
Old 11-28-09, 10:59 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I know, I'm out of bananas as well.
Old 11-28-09, 04:29 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
If only you had some clue what I was talking about -and, hence, to which you respond- but why let facts get in the way of your little dream world?
Not sure what I ever did to you that you seem to take me so personally. At least you have your crack pipe to keep you company.
Well, nothing personal here, chum, but where I come from, we have two words for people like you.
OK, OK, I spoke harshly, and not called for under the circumstances. Mea culpa.

It's funny how a good ride (earlier today) can improve your outlook on life. Hope you got a chance to do same.
Old 11-28-09, 07:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's funny how a good ride (earlier today) can improve your outlook on life. Hope you got a chance to do same.
I not only did get the chance, I took it.
Still carrying a little too much turkey, et. al. in the system so it wasn't quite the ride I had intended.
And I'm still shaking off remnants of my infection but it was still a nice 20 mile, 2 hour coastal jaunt over the hills and dales that make up my world.
I enjoyed every minutes of it.

And now it's time for our local neighborhood monthly hooteneanny so I be smilin' lots right now.
Old 12-03-09, 08:03 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Weak Link, I was impressed by your Historical\Philosophy lesson. i always wondered how it all fit together.

SaiKaiTai-you had me befuddled. Now I think I know how to take you, sorta.

But I'm new in these parts, confusion is my spiritual gifting.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 12-03-09, 08:06 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Winter Solstice. It's all about making it to Winter Solstice.
Old 12-03-09, 08:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
SaiKaiTai-you had me befuddled. Now I think I know how to take you, sorta.

But I'm new in these parts, confusion is my spiritual gifting.
How to take me? It's simple, really. I wear my heart on my sleeve
Old 12-04-09, 12:13 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
What's Thankgiving????

Never had the "American" style of Halloween over here when I was young- and before anyone says it, I know that was long time ago. All we had were a few Mangel Wurzles filched from a local farmer hollowed out to show the face and if you could afford it- you put a candle in to illuminate the face. If you couldn't afford it- you put a rag inside and set light to that.

The "American" form of the festivity where the local yobs can bully you into giving them sweets or money did not arrive till about 10 years ago.

Have you got any other ways of terrorizing the neighbourhood that we should know about before they arrive.
Not sure im spelling this right,but you have Guy Fawkes we dont.When i was 4or5 years old we came to England to visit relatives.Ended up staying couple of years.Lived probably 20 miles or so from where you live(Worthing)i remember huge bonfires on Guy fawkes.Lotsa fun for a kid.
Old 12-04-09, 06:33 AM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
It's that time of year where the most important "news" here is how much $$$ the retailers have sold.

I'm more concerned about putting 35 more miles on my bike so that I can get to a nice round number for the year. I know many do a solstice ride in summer, maybe I'll try a Winter Solstice ride. Be kind of fun.
Old 12-04-09, 06:37 AM
Banned

Bikes: Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold is cold.....just dress for it. It is hard because that first 10mns is frezzing..but after that you can be good to go. Key word can!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.