Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Kenneth Bain Sentencing

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Kenneth Bain Sentencing

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-09, 08:11 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kenneth Bain Sentencing

Kenneth Bain, the driver who killed the two cyclists near Joe Pool Lake (four miles from where I was living then) last year, was sentenced on Thursday. He'll spend two years in jail, then serve 10 years probation. During each of the probation years, he'll spend 18 days in jail, including some days at Christmas time, and during each cyclist's birthday. Here's a link to the Fox News video: https://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/man...cycling-deaths

Edit: fixed the link

Last edited by Bud Bent; 12-20-09 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 08:21 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Uh oh... that page could not be found.

You wound up here, so obviously something went wrong. Either the page you were looking for does not exist or there was an error processing your request.

Please double-check the URL that brought you here and try again. You can also try using the site navigation or search tool to look for the content you were trying to find.

Click here to return to the home page.
Old 12-20-09, 08:50 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Speaking of which, was there a sentence ever handed down for that psycho doctor from California who almost killed two cyclists
Old 12-20-09, 10:07 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this link - it works for me.

https://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/man...cycling-deaths

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 12-20-09, 12:41 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've always thought that the punishment should somehow match the effect on the victim. A thief should have to completely reimburse the victim, to the point of garnishee of wages. Someone who injures another person should be out the same length of time, so if the victim takes a couple of years of rehab, the perp is in jail until the victim is completely whole. In the case of death, even thru negligence, the perp should be in jail forever, or at the very least have a portion of his wages for the rest of his life attached to the victim's heirs. Or, if the perp is honorable, could be invited to commit seppuku, as in the days when honor meant something.
I don't think there is such a thing as a traffic "accident." If activists want to make a significant change, they need to first press to have news media stop calling them "accidents."
- L.
Old 12-20-09, 08:32 PM

Bikes: Scott CR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the sentencing was postponed till sometime in January for the California doctor.
Old 12-20-09, 09:15 PM

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MUZE
I believe the sentencing was postponed till sometime in January for the California doctor.
According to LA Streets Blog, sentencing will be January 8th.
Old 12-21-09, 10:40 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I've always thought that the punishment should somehow match the effect on the victim. A thief should have to completely reimburse the victim, to the point of garnishee of wages. Someone who injures another person should be out the same length of time, so if the victim takes a couple of years of rehab, the perp is in jail until the victim is completely whole. In the case of death, even thru negligence, the perp should be in jail forever, or at the very least have a portion of his wages for the rest of his life attached to the victim's heirs. Or, if the perp is honorable, could be invited to commit seppuku, as in the days when honor meant something.
I don't think there is such a thing as a traffic "accident." If activists want to make a significant change, they need to first press to have news media stop calling them "accidents."
- L.
I think morally one should always exercise added caution when vulnerable parties are nearby, and the the legal system should reinforce that value. Whether this means equal downtime, gets a little more complicated. Certainly death of an accidental victim could be seen as infinite downtime, perhaps in reductio ad absurdem implying capital punishment for the careless party. But this implies accidental deaths are as heinous a crime as premeditated murder, and that is clearly not the view of the US legal system. I do like the idea of accidental victims and perhaps their families being provided a measure of restitution for their loss. I of course assume I will not be the one who caused the collision.
Old 12-21-09, 03:51 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
went out for coffee a little while ago and was almost hit 3 times in my car because of holiday distracted drivers. think I'll postpone my next bike commute until after the holiday break beg in January I'm bummed , but I'm alive and bummed

thanks for sharing this article - you may have saved my life