Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A new Christmas toy

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A new Christmas toy

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-09, 05:30 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A new Christmas toy

I bought my daughter a Wii for xmas/Christmas. As I watched her do yoga, step areobics and other fitness activities I thought to myself, if they could only tie this into a cycle trainer and so I did a little surfing. Seems this is happenening, some people strap the remote to thier legs and do theh jogging game while cycling, they also appear to be cominc up with a cycling game as well. I would think coupling this into a power track and HRM would be the cats meow - at least my cats meow anyway. I am excited to try the Wii wiith my trainer. Any experience out there with the Wii and cycling?
Old 12-26-09, 12:14 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Wife bought a Wii a couple of years ago and I took one look at it and thought "That looks like hard Work". Never used it and no inclination to.

Like all forms of sport- I just get the feeling- It can't be done in front of the tely.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-26-09, 06:13 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my granddaughters got the "Fit" program for the Wii. She was playing the bike program yesterday and the faster you move your legs the faster you pedal. At least they don't just sit in the front of the TV anymore. I don't think we even had a TV when I was her age - had to ride the real thing.
Old 12-26-09, 09:40 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Bride has wanted a Wii ever since she saw the one at her sister's place some three years ago. Well this year my wife got her Wii.

We (she and I) expect to use it for games like Bowling, Tennis, etc. ...that is assuming the Wii survives the wee ones who are currently home from college on Christmas break (especially the one with the middle name 'Oops, I forgot!').

My old house might have a problem surviving the Wii exercise board thingy, plus one doesn't nurture a 35 year marriage by suggesting to each other that they need to exercise!

Enjoy your daughter's new Wii!
Old 12-26-09, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam

Like all forms of sport- I just get the feeling- It can't be done in front of the tely.
Try the boxing game. You will change your mind.
Old 12-26-09, 10:21 AM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my friends at work was telling about the workout he got doing the boxing on the Wii. He said it was quite a workout. I have never done it.
My wife and I got one last year (her idea). I like it better than most of the other video games. It is the only one I could figure out how to play/use.
We also got the balance board. This year my wife got the "Your Shape" game for the Wii.

Personally I would rather go for a ride.
Old 12-26-09, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
The only suggestion I have with Wii games is to analyze the motion you use playing the game. If boxing is your game, watch you don't reach full extension while punching. That snap isn't good for the elbow!

I certainly second your thoughts on going for a ride. Much better than a video game. Things sure have changed since Pong though..
Old 12-26-09, 05:00 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree - nothing beats a real ride outdoors but since the ice and snow have set in and I am suffering from a broken collar bone I figure this would be good with the bike trainer - something to help with the motivation. Along with the standard games that come with it we got Wii fitness +, Wii Ski and Mario kart. I have always hated video games, never allow them in the house when our first child grew up but I have softened with old age (no bad jokes please). The Wii is definately different and I could see it will be a lot of fun. My daughter has decided she will use Wii fit 30 minutes each day, she likes the Yoga and balance exercises. Now if this motivates them to be active than it's well worth it.
Old 12-26-09, 05:02 PM
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wii Sports resort has a cycling game in it. But u use your arms not your feet. It's still pretty fun.
Old 12-26-09, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
We got a Wii this Christmas as well. I just set it up this morning, and the first thing I did was take the Wii age test. It told me I'm 61 Here I thought I was only 56.
Old 12-27-09, 02:51 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
We got a Wii this Christmas as well. I just set it up this morning, and the first thing I did was take the Wii age test. It told me I'm 61 Here I thought I was only 56.
Check it again-but put some effort into it. You may only be 56 but a hard session on this thing and you will feel like you are in your 70's. Especially if playing with the grand children.

Spike Milligan