Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Plyometrics...How high can you jump?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 06:18 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts

From Wiki...Plyometrics is a type of exercise training designed to produce fast, powerful movements, and improve the functions of the nervous system, generally for the purpose of improving performance in sports. Plyometric movements, in which a muscle is loaded and then contracted in rapid sequence, use the strength, elasticity and innervation of muscle and surrounding tissues to jump higher, run faster, throw farther, or hit harder, depending on the desired training goal. Plyometrics is used to increase the speed or force of muscular contractions, often with the goal of increasing the height of a jump.

I am doing plyometrics at the gym using the medicine ball (explosive core work) and some jumping. Here is a video of one of our local elite track racers. He works out at my gym and I have seen him do the jump in the video with a weighted medicine ball. I have to get one of those helmets.

Here is a link to watch the video in full screen. https://www.vimeo.com/7952961

How high can you jump?

Last edited by Hermes; 01-05-10 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 06:24 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
With (on) the bike or off the bike?
Old 01-05-10, 06:55 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by CB HI
With (on) the bike or off the bike?
The question related to plyometric exercises off the bike but if you can vertical jump from a track stand on the bike...even better.
Old 01-05-10, 08:50 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea how high I can jump,

One of my routines includes box jumps which I do in a weight vest on a 30 inch box.

I do 7 sets - double foot / single foot Right / single foot Left / double foot / single foot right / single foot left / double foot

I generally find that after that I know I have done them, and have little desire to do more.
Old 01-05-10, 09:27 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Meh, I'm not impressed. In high school (sophomore) I could hurdle 5 ft. with a short run-up. But now - I'd probably have difficulty jumping over a postage stamp. Fast twitch have turned into slow, slower and slowest twitch fibers.

If you want to see something truly staggering, look at the videos of Stefan Holm, the Swedish high jumper. Or take a look a a standing, 6 foot, high jump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3U4y...eature=related
Old 01-05-10, 09:54 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Meh, I'm not impressed. In high school (sophomore) I could hurdle 5 ft. with a short run-up. But now - I'd probably have difficulty jumping over a postage stamp. Fast twitch have turned into slow, slower and slowest twitch fibers.

If you want to see something truly staggering, look at the videos of Stefan Holm, the Swedish high jumper. Or take a look a a standing, 6 foot, high jump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3U4y...eature=related
I can bunnyhop a decent height. I used to be able to dunk a basketball but these days I bet I have a 12" vertical jump. If that. So I can bunnyhop higher than I can jump, I think. Pretty sad. My training is all about endurance this year so I doubt I'll be doing any of these plyometric thingies. I will be on the track (running) with the kid trying to improve her gymnastics vault sprint. Lots of technique drills/flexibilty. Maybe that will translate to the bike, IDK.
Old 01-06-10, 07:28 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most of the efforts in my youth spent running stadium stairs to be faster and jump higher was misdirected. The East German's figured out that it was your last step at the bottom of the stairs, when you stopped, turned, then recoiled into the first step back up, that produced the beneficial training effort.

Be careful guys with plyo stuff. You are not that young anymore and need to have a suitable strength base and really good warmup before attempting box jumping. Think of your legs and support pieces as an old rubber band that dose not have the ability to stretch as it once did. One should have a fairly good base in lifting and maximum efforts before attempting.
Old 01-06-10, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
An impressive jump. I find myself wondering how one goes about sorting through all of the various training techniques/routines/systems available these days. It would almost be a certainty that there are more choices of excellent training techniques than an individual could work into a routine, regardless of the hours available per day. The process of learning what works for one, as an individual, seems much more daunting now than it did 30 years ago. I would even suspect that a good coach could only help with this to a limited degree. Just this morning, while having my morning coffee, I was reading about a series of core exercise thought to be appropriate for cyclist, and wondered how they might be better than the dozen or so other core exercises for cyclists.
Old 01-06-10, 09:25 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Most of the efforts in my youth spent running stadium stairs to be faster and jump higher was misdirected. The East German's figured out that it was your last step at the bottom of the stairs, when you stopped, turned, then recoiled into the first step back up, that produced the beneficial training effort.

Be careful guys with plyo stuff. You are not that young anymore and need to have a suitable strength base and really good warmup before attempting box jumping. Think of your legs and support pieces as an old rubber band that dose not have the ability to stretch as it once did. One should have a fairly good base in lifting and maximum efforts before attempting.
+1 Excellent advice.
Old 01-06-10, 09:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I jump up from the sofa to get another beer quite often.....
Old 01-06-10, 10:23 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The sports medicine doc told me my running, jumping, and backpacking days were over after my knee surgery in April 2008 -- and he was right. But he said I could ride till I was 100. That means I've got 35 years of riding to look forward to.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-06-10, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
. . .Be careful guys with plyo stuff. You are not that young anymore . . .
Sounds like you're recommending we limit our jumping to those involving ill-informed conclusions. . .good advice, actually.
Old 01-06-10, 12:07 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by TMB

One of my routines includes box jumps which I do in a weight vest on a 30 inch box.

I do 7 sets - double foot / single foot Right / single foot Left / double foot / single foot right / single foot left / double foot

I generally find that after that I know I have done them, and have little desire to do more.
I think a 30 inch vertical jump onto a box with a weight vest is very good. Track sprinters use weight vests for standing starts to make the initial pedal stroke harder.

Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I can bunnyhop a decent height. I used to be able to dunk a basketball but these days I bet I have a 12" vertical jump. If that. So I can bunnyhop higher than I can jump, I think. Pretty sad. My training is all about endurance this year so I doubt I'll be doing any of these plyometric thingies. I will be on the track (running) with the kid trying to improve her gymnastics vault sprint. Lots of technique drills/flexibilty. Maybe that will translate to the bike, IDK.
My running and jumping has fallen off over the last 20 years. And I have plenty of excuses. My new coach wanted me to do some plyo work so I am back at it. This is a bit like when I restarted cycling and I have to build up slowly. Explosive movements are supposed to improve z7 efforts. I suspect there is more to it than just z7. Billington is a sprinter who qualified for the Elite National in 2009 and came in 4th in the team sprint. So box jumping as part of his workouts has proven productive for him.

I am using a personal trainer at the gym to help me with the more advance core work and plyo movements. We are working on the base strength and flexibility leading up to the explosive movements. For example, I do the traditional core work, planks, bridges, spiderman and etc and then do plyo work with the medicine ball slamming it against the floor and throwing it against a wall and catching it. At the track, the 100 meter max effort jumps come after the 40 lap warmup.

Originally Posted by NOS88
An impressive jump. I find myself wondering how one goes about sorting through all of the various training techniques/routines/systems available these days. It would almost be a certainty that there are more choices of excellent training techniques than an individual could work into a routine, regardless of the hours available per day. The process of learning what works for one, as an individual, seems much more daunting now than it did 30 years ago. I would even suspect that a good coach could only help with this to a limited degree. Just this morning, while having my morning coffee, I was reading about a series of core exercise thought to be appropriate for cyclist, and wondered how they might be better than the dozen or so other core exercises for cyclists.
This is a great point and you have captured what I was thinking about when I posted this. I had hoped my post would stimulate some discussion and reflection about what are we doing and is it the best or at a minimum effective for cycling fitness and health. I hired a new coach this year and I am doing what he says. Plyometrics is part of the routine but I do not know whether I will be doing box jumping per se. Maybe.

As you point out, there are many training options and it is difficult to decide which one to follow. I default to use it or lose it and form follows function. I decided I do not want to lose the explosive movements that I had most of my life so I better start working on them before they are completely gone and not retrievable.

As for Billington, he is probably one of the top sprinters in the world and an amazing athlete. He does other equally difficult things at our gym other than box jumping. It is great to have guys like that around to provide some inspiration.
Old 01-06-10, 12:45 PM
TMB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like Hermes, I go to a gym that assigns a qualified trainer to each member and we get initial and quarterly assessments, routines designed for us and what our sports or goals are.

I actually enjoy it, has been many years, but am enjoying the work again and it is a break from the bike - something different.

The lady I work with mixes it up quite a bit with combinations of flexibility, and strength work - calisthentics, cardio, stretching and strength.

It is a pretty well rounded program and I can feel the difference and benefit. I can also see the difference.

The Plyo work is incorporated in only one of the 3 routines she has laid out for me and therefore gets done once per week - it is built into my Max Strength routine, and she insists that it be done after all of the other exercises of the day.
Old 01-06-10, 01:30 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I jump to conclusions, does that count?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-06-10, 02:30 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
What is this gym thing you guys are talking about? Is that another West Coast thing?

I could jump a lot higher a month ago before the Holiday feasts.....
Old 01-06-10, 02:36 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by jppe
What is this gym thing you guys are talking about? Is that another West Coast thing?

I could jump a lot higher a month ago before the Holiday feasts.....
Okay which is it? Did you gain weight or not over the holidays

Originally Posted by jppe
Although the official weigh in will be tomorrow morning for me, it appears my weight will be about the same. I was able to get in enough rides to burn off the extra calories from the many delicious meals and leftovers.

It sure seems hard to generate any power riding in the colder temps right now-I bet I could not generate enough power to light a 20 watt lightbulb!! But at least I'm burning sufficient enough calories to maintain!!
Old 01-06-10, 06:34 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In high school, my vertical leap was 17 1/2"; 30 years later, it was 15". Now, two more years later, I dunno. Maybe a foot.
Old 01-06-10, 06:45 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was taught never to ask how high
Old 01-06-10, 07:10 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by cyclinfool
I was taught never to ask how high
I was taught to respond...as high as necessary.
Old 01-06-10, 07:55 PM

Bikes: Giant/Cervelo S2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMB

Are you jumping up onto and off the 30" box on one leg with a weighted vest???? Yikes...............
Old 01-07-10, 04:54 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I think since I do not race or compete I do not need to do tons of training. I know that some training is good and beneficial to the average 50+ but other than that....

I ride my bike an average 25 miles per day during the spring through fall and it has helped me a lot with feeling better and weight control as well.
I am happy with that.

I do want to point out to those that do all the training I am impressed and think it is great for you. It is just another part of what makes you you.

After posting this I do know I need to start doing a little more core work and stretching, but I just find to so hard to start and continue. I will try though.
Old 01-07-10, 10:49 PM
TMB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First - yes, one and off one-legged with the weight vest.

I like going to this gym as it is pretty "serious" get down to work type of place.

The trainer I work with has given my workouts structure which is what thye have lacked in the past.

If I follow the routines now I can see the result and the benefit and like that.

The core work is the biggest win for me.
Old 01-09-10, 02:54 PM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terex
... Fast twitch have turned into slow, slower and slowest twitch fibers. ...
That is exactly the geezer issue. I've read that some of the slow-twitch can be converted to fast-twitch with plyometrics. I could never tell though.
Old 01-09-10, 05:58 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Artkansas
I jump to conclusions, does that count?
That is an inalienable right of every 50+.

Originally Posted by TMB
First - yes, one and off one-legged with the weight vest.

I like going to this gym as it is pretty "serious" get down to work type of place.

The trainer I work with has given my workouts structure which is what thye have lacked in the past.

If I follow the routines now I can see the result and the benefit and like that.

The core work is the biggest win for me.
I assume you are still using 30" box / bench. So, you put on a weight vest and with both feet on the floor jump onto a 30" high step. And with the same vest on and 30" bench, you stand on one leg and propel yourself onto the bench. I would like to see a video of the one leg stuff. I use an 18" box and do one leg step ups without using my other leg to help and they are very hard. I do not think I could get much elevation jumping off the ground using only one leg with a weight vest.

Originally Posted by head_wind
That is exactly the geezer issue. I've read that some of the slow-twitch can be converted to fast-twitch with plyometrics. I could never tell though.
All the geezer issues are to be located and discussed in the 65+ sticky at the top of the forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.