Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

work increase after adding slime to tires

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

HI,
I have my fair share of flats as most bicycle riders do, I was wondering if anyone has seen a study
on the effect and energy required to maintain speed and RPM after adding 4-0z's of a slime product in your tire tube.
I have seen a reduction in puncture flats from slivers of glass, but it does seem to add a little more work
to the speed efferts.
I believe the reccomended amount for road tires is 4 ozs.
It does tattle tail those slow leaks and helpe you locate the hole in the tire.
the bad iss it can cause a tire blow out if the tube fails( seen it heard it felt it).
and its impossiable to patch in the field once the leak starts or you loose to much air.
Doug
Old 01-09-10, 03:20 PM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You added weight to the part of the bike that it's the most noticeable - rotating weight.
Old 01-09-10, 03:35 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Had a freind that had slime fitted when he started commuting on a bike but after about 3 monthe he had a puncture that would not seal. The slime had worked as could be seen by the number of places where it had sealed the tube. Unfortunately- it cost him a new tyre as the slime had stuck to the casing of the tyre and it was impossible to remove. Any tube being refitted would have punctured on the slime on the carcase.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-09-10, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I tried Slime about ten years ago. It failed to seal punctures and made an amazing mess in the process. My conclusion is that a tuna fish sandwitch in my pocket would have about the same effect upon both bike performance and flat resistance. It's possible that the types of road debris vary from place to place and that Slime might actually work somewhere, but not here. Tuffies, on the other hand, seem to cut the number of punctures in half, and I still use them.

Paul
Old 01-09-10, 04:50 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
On my commuter, I went to kevlar-belted tires and thorn-resistant tubes in November '08. Definately more work to move it down the road but have yet to get a flat even driving through broken glass. I figure I can use the exercise more than I can use practice on repairing flats so I'm happy with the tradeoff.
Old 01-09-10, 05:50 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Get better tires . . .
We use Maxxis Re-Fuse kevlar beaded tires that have an Aramid layer that stops most punctures.
Have them on our tandem and also on single bike . . . work as advertised.
Old 01-09-10, 06:02 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Slime in road tires...I've had better luck with tire liners and good tires. Slime is so messy and with high pressure tires it doesn't work as well as say a MTB tire.
Old 01-09-10, 08:06 PM
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used slime for years with my commuter MTB. I loved the stuff. I also used tire liners, so never had a problem with the tube sticking to the tire. Of course, I was a lot more concerned about getting home in crazy weather than making any particular speed.
Old 01-09-10, 08:07 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks I thought so Now to exit the SLime safely without spraying the garage, me,wall &bike.
I had a nice tire on the bike it was a Diamonte Vittori PRo 700/23 front and rear the rear developed a a small hole in the tube on the side not sure if it was the casing or glass , I ve even had brake cable wire find its way into a tube. I replaced the tube with a new one as I pulled the one out it was sticking to the tire very well like it was glued.This was before I tried the-slime in my tires.. so I slid in a new Conti tube pumped it up as best as I could with a hand pump and mushed on home.. that night I deflated the tire and checked for glass, wire, in the tire no hole I could find, reinstalled tire and tube carefully pumped it up slowly stoping at 25 psi to check bead for fit and looked around tire with my finger for any of that tube trying to poke out.
Looks good finished took it up to 80 psi checked the bead still good kicked it up to 110psi and went in for a brew, as I opened my beer I hear a ka-pow and my tire had blown off the rim and a major hole in the tube, i think the casing failed at the size stamp on the tire it ripped right thru the middle of the 700x23, it tore open at the (X). Now I ve never had a Conti Tire do this or anyother for that matter and the tube didn't look like pinch either, Has anyone else had problems with Vitorria folding PRO tires.
Doug