Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do Old Guys Look Super Stupid in Team Jerseys?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do Old Guys Look Super Stupid in Team Jerseys?

Old 02-23-24, 10:27 PM
  #326  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,448
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8376 Post(s)
Liked 9,232 Times in 4,547 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
, somehow without looking like a TDF entry. Just saying, it is possible.
Agreed. I have several jerseys. Again, none of them have Italian dish soap logos on them. None are skin tight. It is possible.
I've never owned bibs but I get it. That waistband thing is a drag. Keep in mind that the sun hitting skin tight synthetic clothing will heat you up like the surface of Mercury. In hot weather, skin tight synthetics may "handle" perspiration better than cotton but it is going to make you sweat more than necessary.
Well, you were mocking riders for wearing kit, I didn't know you were against logos or team sponsor names. I don't mind graphics but I don't have any team clothing. It just wouldn't fit. I also don't wear "skin tight" jerseys. Too fat for that. I wouldn't mind wearing a jersey with an Italian dish soap logo on it if I had the physique for it and I liked the look. Some of my clubmates look sharp in team logo jerseys, even in their 70s.

I also have never worn bibs. I have used various brands of Lycra shorts for about 40 years, even in 110+ weather. It's over 100 for weeks at a time during summer here.
big john is offline  
Old 02-23-24, 10:33 PM
  #327  
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville. SC USA
Posts: 7,528

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I also have never worn bibs. I have used various brands of Lycra shorts for about 40 years, even in 110+ weather. It's over 100 for weeks at a time during summer here.
If you like lycra shorts you will LOVE bibs. I have never heard a contrary opinion from anyone who has tried both. Imagine your lycra shorts without that danged waistband. Especially if you are at all on the heavy side of the "perfect" physique. I've never tried them but many friends have. They all rave about them.
JoeyBike is offline  
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 02-23-24, 10:38 PM
  #328  
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville. SC USA
Posts: 7,528

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Well, you were mocking riders for wearing kit, I didn't know you were against logos or team sponsor names.
Back in the day when Lance was riding for Trek it seemed like every old geezer (I'm 65 so I can say that) was wearing the "Lance kit". That may be what got me started laughing at that fashion statement. Especially the guys turning their tallest gear and doing 7mph . Lance used to turn 100+ RPM and of course cruise around near (or above) 30 mph on the regular.

Hey, I have a good sense of humor. Sue me.
JoeyBike is offline  
Old 02-23-24, 10:48 PM
  #329  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,448
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8376 Post(s)
Liked 9,232 Times in 4,547 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Back in the day when Lance was riding for Trek it seemed like every old geezer (I'm 65 so I can say that) was wearing the "Lance kit". That may be what got me started laughing at that fashion statement. Especially the guys turning their tallest gear and doing 7mph . Lance used to turn 100+ RPM and of course cruise around near (or above) 30 mph on the regular.

Hey, I have a good sense of humor. Sue me.
I knew a few guys who wore Discovery Channel kits. They look ok to me. I don't read anything into it. I don't connect what someone is wearing or what they are riding to whether they are fast. I've been dropped by people who look slow on crude bikes and I've passed people who look like a fashion statement on a nicer bike than I have.
big john is offline  
Old 02-24-24, 08:11 AM
  #330  
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 13,319

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
I don’t
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 02-24-24, 10:48 AM
  #331  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 6,379

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked 5,870 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
If you like lycra shorts you will LOVE bibs. I have never heard a contrary opinion from anyone who has tried both. Imagine your lycra shorts without that danged waistband. Especially if you are at all on the heavy side of the "perfect" physique. I've never tried them but many friends have. They all rave about them.
As the old saying goes, Never say never. I have both shorts and bibs and only wear bibs when the weather is cold because they heat me up too much in hot weather. Also I find them a PITA when nature calls, where shorts are super easy in that regard. Bibs with cold weather and shorts the rest of the time.
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Old 02-24-24, 11:29 AM
  #332  
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 13,385

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked 4,895 Times in 2,256 Posts
THREAD CLOSED -




Old guys whinging over trivial pursuits has run its' course.
__________________
Vintage, modern, e-road. It is a big cycling universe.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-24-24 at 11:32 AM.
Wildwood is offline  
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-24-24, 11:43 AM
  #333  
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 7,246

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3546 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
If you regularly see your speed hitting/exceeding 25 mph on the flats, then full roadie kit for sure. Otherwise it's a waste of money and kinda hilarious.
Nonsensical...and churlish!

__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat. ROUVY: terrymorse


terrymorse is offline  
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-24-24, 12:24 PM
  #334  
old newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 934

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
If you like lycra shorts you will LOVE bibs. I have never heard a contrary opinion from anyone who has tried both. Imagine your lycra shorts without that danged waistband. Especially if you are at all on the heavy side of the "perfect" physique. I've never tried them but many friends have. They all rave about them.
I am heavy and bought bibs a while back to try. I love them. They are much more comfortable than shorts with the waistband.
pepperbelly is offline  
Old 02-24-24, 03:01 PM
  #335  
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,642

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 578 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
As the old saying goes, Never say never. I have both shorts and bibs and only wear bibs when the weather is cold because they heat me up too much in hot weather. Also I find them a PITA when nature calls, where shorts are super easy in that regard. Bibs with cold weather and shorts the rest of the time.
I’m not fond of them either for the same reasons. I also have a longish torso, and they cramp the boys too much.
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...

Biker395 is offline  
Likes For Biker395:
Old 02-24-24, 03:04 PM
  #336  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 30,008

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I knew a few guys who wore Discovery Channel kits. They look ok to me. I don't read anything into it. I don't connect what someone is wearing or what they are riding to whether they are fast. I've been dropped by people who look slow on crude bikes and I've passed people who look like a fashion statement on a nicer bike than I have.
I don't connect anything to whether other cyclists are fast or not, nor do I care or connect anything to "being dropped" or whether I pass anyone else while cycling, no matter what they are riding or wearing.

I even know a few other cyclists whose cycling does not revolve around being fast or competing with others or themselves when out for a ride. There may even be a few other such guys on this list who are OK with this lack of "connection." Or maybe not.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 02-24-24, 06:18 PM
  #337  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,448
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8376 Post(s)
Liked 9,232 Times in 4,547 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I don't connect anything to whether other cyclists are fast or not, nor do I care or connect anything to "being dropped" or whether I pass anyone else while cycling, no matter what they are riding or wearing.

I even know a few other cyclists whose cycling does not revolve around being fast or competing with others or themselves when out for a ride. There may even be a few other such guys on this list who are OK with this lack of "connection." Or maybe not.
We all know how you feel about this stuff, you've made it abundantly clear on more than one occasion and that's fine. Some people are utility cyclists and some just cruise and enjoy the ride.

My comments were in response to someone saying that he laughed at guys who wore team jerseys but weren't fast. It was also said that overweight or slow riders were funny if they rode a racing type bike. My point was that anyone can ride or wear whatever they want and don't deserve ridicule because they are not as fast as someone thinks they should be.

I'm not fast, I don't collect data, I don't "train" per se. I just ride and try to keep up with friends and clubmates. I'm 70 in a few weeks. I'm a little overweight, have COPD and a-fib. I'm pretty far from elitest. I will never criticize another person for the bike they ride or the way they enjoy riding it. I also don't care what anyone wears, on or off the bike.
big john is offline  
Old 02-24-24, 06:51 PM
  #338  
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,642

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 578 Posts
Beats me how any reasonable person would conclude that someone wearing a team inspired jersey or kit is doing so to try to fool people into thinking they’re fast. I mean … when you’re riding, whether you’re fast or not is rather self apparent, no?

My decision re what jersey to wear;

1. Traffic. I’ll wear solid, bright jerseys when I expect more auto traffic.

2. My tubbyness. Like all of us, I’m sure, I have my “fat” and “skinny” jerseys. Larger jerseys are nice, and jerseys with patterns (instead of solids) tend to hide the blubber.

3. Birds of a feather. I have a lot of “event” jerseys … ones you have to earn by completing a tough ride. When I do the event another year, I’ll wear the jersey from previous years.

Hell, if I wanted to impress people, I’d wear my 2018 RAAM jersey 100% of the time and leave it at that. I think any rational person knows anyone can buy a commercial team jersey.
Biker395 is offline  
Likes For Biker395:
Old 02-25-24, 09:00 AM
  #339  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,924

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The racer boyz can wear what they want. However with is wrong with us recreational cyclist just wearing T-shirts, and low cost shorts. We save a lot of money, and we are not out to impress anyone anyway.

A personal example is I can get left over T-shirts from rides for as little as $3. And I can buy Champion brand shorts on sale for $15. So my whole "kit" costs me $18!!!! And believe it or not, not very many people have pointed me out and laughed!!!

Last edited by rydabent; 02-25-24 at 09:05 AM.
rydabent is offline  
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-25-24, 09:05 AM
  #340  
Super Modest
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 23,515

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10999 Post(s)
Liked 4,682 Times in 2,151 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The racer boyz can wear what they want. However with is wrong with us recreational cyclist just wearing T-shirts, and low cost shorts. We save a lot of money, and we are not out to impress anyone anyway.
Nothing. Go for it and be happy.

Using pejorative terms like "racer boyz" indicates your disdain of riders who also wear what they want.
__________________
Keep the chain tight!







Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 02-25-24, 09:19 AM
  #341  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 30,008

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
We all know how you feel about this stuff, you've made it abundantly clear on more than one occasion and that's fine. Some people are utility cyclists and some just cruise and enjoy the ride.

My comments were in response to someone saying that he laughed at guys who wore team jerseys but weren't fast. It was also said that overweight or slow riders were funny if they rode a racing type bike. My point was that anyone can ride or wear whatever they want and don't deserve ridicule because they are not as fast as someone thinks they should be.

I'm not fast, I don't collect data, I don't "train" per se. I just ride and try to keep up with friends and clubmates. I'm 70 in a few weeks. I'm a little overweight, have COPD and a-fib. I'm pretty far from elitest. I will never criticize another person for the bike they ride or the way they enjoy riding it. I also don't care what anyone wears, on or off the bike.
You are correct, my reply should have been directed at the other poster that you replied to, who seems to believe that cycling clothes are viewed by any intelligent person as an indication of how fast the wearer is or wants to be; or that cyclists' visual appearance to others ("looking" stupid or smart, handsome or ugly, or anything in-between) is in any way connected to how "fast" they ride a bicycle.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 02-25-24, 09:44 AM
  #342  
Squeaky Wheel
 
woodway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, WA
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
This thread was resurrected at post #121 and now it is at post #341 - 220 posts later (more than the original version) and I am still not sure if there is consensus. But it was sure fun recognizing some of the "old" names from the original incarnation. Carry on.
woodway is offline  
Old 02-25-24, 02:20 PM
  #343  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,448
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8376 Post(s)
Liked 9,232 Times in 4,547 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You are correct, my reply should have been directed at the other poster that you replied to, who seems to believe that cycling clothes are viewed by any intelligent person as an indication of how fast the wearer is or wants to be; or that cyclists' visual appearance to others ("looking" stupid or smart, handsome or ugly, or anything in-between) is in any way connected to how "fast" they ride a bicycle.
Finally we agree on something.
big john is offline  
Old 02-25-24, 07:23 PM
  #344  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,924

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Some think being known as being among the racer boyzs is a good thing.
rydabent is offline  
Old 02-25-24, 08:34 PM
  #345  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,448
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8376 Post(s)
Liked 9,232 Times in 4,547 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Some think being known as being among the racer boyzs is a good thing.
It's not?
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 02-25-24, 10:02 PM
  #346  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 6,379

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked 5,870 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I’m not fond of them either for the same reasons. I also have a longish torso, and they cramp the boys too much.
Ditto. Long torso = no bueno por los muchachos
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Old 02-26-24, 10:54 AM
  #347  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,143

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5049 Post(s)
Liked 8,314 Times in 3,926 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I always enjoy seeing cyclists wearing road kits with top speeds of 12mph. I see it every day. Logos a-blazing! Very aerodynamic!

I'm sure there are many cyclists I see wearing off road kits. Baggie shorts with padded liners, tech-Ts, etc. I wouldn't know for sure because they look like "normal" people out for a bike ride.

If you regularly see your speed hitting/exceeding 25 mph on the flats, then full roadie kit for sure. Otherwise it's a waste of money and kinda hilarious.
What is the required minimum speed for wearing high-end cycling kit without logos? I just want to make sure I understand your rules. Should I send you a pic of my kit before I leave for a ride, to make sure it meets your approval?

I suppose me and my friends looked pretty silly to you on our ride on Saturday. 3 of us were wearing the exact same kit, from the same team. It's the kit of the local club/team we are all members of. On our nearly-4 hour ride, we averaged less than 9mph. Most of it, we were going less than 5mph. It was a pretty hard day on the bike.

I've found that high-quality cycling clothing helps keep me more comfortable - hot or cold, fast or slow, pavement or dirt. More comfortable means the ride is more enjoyable. There is no riding speed or body shape where being comfortable isn't a benefit.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 02-26-24, 11:05 AM
  #348  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,143

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5049 Post(s)
Liked 8,314 Times in 3,926 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Some think being known as being among the racer boyzs is a good thing.
I don't mind being known as an older, ex-racer who can still ride with the racer-boys.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 02-26-24, 11:32 AM
  #349  
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 7,246

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3546 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
On our nearly-4 hour ride, we averaged less than 9mph. Most of it, we were going less than 5mph. It was a pretty hard day on the bike.
Gosh, that sounds like such a good time. Uphill both directions?
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat. ROUVY: terrymorse


terrymorse is offline  
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-26-24, 12:04 PM
  #350  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,143

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5049 Post(s)
Liked 8,314 Times in 3,926 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Gosh, that sounds like such a good time. Uphill both directions?
Gravel bike ride with LOTS of steep climbing. 5000' of vert in the first 20 miles of the ride. The suffering was somewhat tempered by some really excellent singletrack descents between brutal climbs. Thankfully, I was wearing bike clothing that kept my body temp comfortable the whole time, and was easy to make adjustments to suit the changing conditions.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.