Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do Old Guys Look Super Stupid in Team Jerseys?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do Old Guys Look Super Stupid in Team Jerseys?

Old 02-29-24, 10:19 PM
  #376  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 6,170

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Does anybody really check out what other cyclists wear?
It may come to a complete surprise to you, but this very forum has a couple very outspoken fashion ‘critics’ when it comes to ‘cycling clothing/kit’. Even if they don’t see you wearing it, they will be happy to let you know what poser you are, or aspire to be.

I am taking up a collection of cutoffs, old t-shirts and flip flops for them.
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Old 02-29-24, 11:18 PM
  #377  
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville. SC USA
Posts: 7,511

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Does anybody really check out what other cyclists wear?
Some are pretty hard to miss!
JoeyBike is offline  
Old 02-29-24, 11:46 PM
  #378  
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 7,077

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Does anybody really check out what other cyclists wear?
The only cyclists that give me pause are the ones in very dark, “invisible cyclist” kits.

Are they trying to get run over?
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat. ROUVY: terrymorse


terrymorse is online now  
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-01-24, 12:36 AM
  #379  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 6,170

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
The only cyclists that give me pause are the ones in very dark, “invisible cyclist” kits.

Are they trying to get run over?
I call them ninja cyclists.
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-02-24, 12:06 PM
  #380  
The Wheezing Geezer
 
Fredo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Española, NM
Posts: 1,040

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
The best part of being an old chubster, is not caring if you look stupid.
ARF! ARF!


Jax

Who's that in the basket? Jax would love riding, I'm sure. I see you've got a short tether with a clip. Any escape attempts? I'm going to have to rig something up!
Fredo76 is offline  
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-02-24, 12:21 PM
  #381  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 6,434

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
ARF! ARF!
Who's that in the basket? Jax would love riding, I'm sure. I see you've got a short tether with a clip. Any escape attempts? I'm going to have to rig something up!
That's my previous dog, Nena. My druggie ex-gf sadly absconded with her up to her brother's place in the Seattle area.
The next morning I woke up in the loony-bin and was imprisoned against my will for two weeks because they claim I was a "danger to myself." Tried to take a garage nap, but my gd nosy neighbor called 911 on me. I just can't win.

My new riding buddy is Fidel, but I can't do 60-milers with him like I used to with Nena. Fidel is not as smart as Nena, but it's still nice to have a super-domestique to draft all day long who doesn't complain about it.



His crew call him "Fiddy", but the ladies call him "Fidelicious."

Also he's a motorbikin dog.

How big is Jax and how much does he weigh?
calamarichris is offline  
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 03-02-24, 01:17 PM
  #382  
The Wheezing Geezer
 
Fredo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Española, NM
Posts: 1,040

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
That's my previous dog, Nena. My druggie ex-gf sadly absconded with her up to her brother's place in the Seattle area.
The next morning I woke up in the loony-bin and was imprisoned against my will for two weeks because they claim I was a "danger to myself." Tried to take a garage nap, but my gd nosy neighbor called 911 on me. I just can't win.

My new riding buddy is Fidel, but I can't do 60-milers with him like I used to with Nena. Fidel is not as smart as Nena, but it's still nice to have a super-domestique to draft all day long who doesn't complain about it.



His crew call him "Fiddy", but the ladies call him "Fidelicious."

Also he's a motorbikin dog.

How big is Jax and how much does he weigh?
Sorry to hear about Nena.

Jax is 28 lbs., and surprisingly long.



Jax is short but long.

He's really smart, and might understand 'STAY' in a new context. I'd need a big basket, or a trailer, I suppose. Don't want to do a trailer though - couldn't see him then.

Any tips?
Fredo76 is offline  
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-02-24, 01:32 PM
  #383  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 6,434

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Sorry to hear about Nena.
Jax is 28 lbs., and surprisingly long.
Jax is short but long.
He's really smart, and might understand 'STAY' in a new context. I'd need a big basket, or a trailer, I suppose. Don't want to do a trailer though - couldn't see him then.
Any tips?
Alas, he's too big for the seafoam-colored dogbike in my picture above.
I saw a picture of a larger, 3-wheeled bike in this forum. Let me go find the link. Stand by.

Avast! Here ye go matey!

Last edited by calamarichris; 03-02-24 at 01:39 PM.
calamarichris is offline  
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 03-02-24, 03:38 PM
  #384  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,931

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,263 Times in 2,937 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
The next morning I woke up in the loony-bin and was imprisoned against my will for two weeks because they claim I was a "danger to myself." Tried to take a garage nap, but my gd nosy neighbor called 911 on me. I just can't win.
Doesn't that last sentence support their claim that you were a danger to yourself?
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-02-24, 03:57 PM
  #385  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 6,434

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Doesn't that last sentence support their claim that you were a danger to yourself?
Drinking, smoking, cycling in traffic, motorcycling, riding in cars, sloth, red meat, old age, war, going to school (in the US).....we're a very fortunate species because we all get to choose our executioner.
We are all a danger to ourselves.

Last edited by calamarichris; 03-02-24 at 04:04 PM.
calamarichris is offline  
Old 03-02-24, 04:38 PM
  #386  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,931

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,263 Times in 2,937 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Drinking, smoking, cycling in traffic, motorcycling, riding in cars, sloth, red meat, old age, war, going to school (in the US).....we're a very fortunate species because we all get to choose our executioner.
We are all a danger to ourselves.
There's a big difference between those things and the situation you described.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 03-02-24, 04:48 PM
  #387  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 6,434

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
There's a big difference between those things and the situation you described.
I respectfully disagree. Some're quicker'n others is all. Is a person's life their own? Are we not the Land of the Free? Cannot people make their own choices?
Of course they can't. I've found that out the hard way a few times. And now I have a stack of medical bills I'll never be able to pay, (now there's something to live for.)


Last edited by calamarichris; 03-02-24 at 05:04 PM.
calamarichris is offline  
Old 03-02-24, 05:16 PM
  #388  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,931

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,263 Times in 2,937 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
I respectfully disagree. Some're quicker'n others is all. Is a person's life their own? Are we not the Land of the Free? Cannot people make their own choices?
Of course they can't. I've found that out the hard way a few times. And now I have a stack of medical bills I'll never be able to pay, (now there's something to live for.)
This is clearly a conversation you should be having with a licensed professional, which I am not, so I'll end it here.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-02-24, 06:15 PM
  #389  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 7,937

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4916 Post(s)
Liked 8,019 Times in 3,793 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Drinking, smoking, cycling in traffic, motorcycling, riding in cars, sloth, red meat, old age, war, going to school (in the US).....we're a very fortunate species because we all get to choose our executioner.
We are all a danger to ourselves.
Everything will kill you eventually. Die doing something fun.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is online now  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-02-24, 07:09 PM
  #390  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hacienda Hgts
Posts: 2,100

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
You might checkout John and Mira's setup?

Originally Posted by Fredo76
Sorry to hear about Nena.

Jax is 28 lbs., and surprisingly long.



Jax is short but long.

He's really smart, and might understand 'STAY' in a new context. I'd need a big basket, or a trailer, I suppose. Don't want to do a trailer though - couldn't see him then.

Any tips?
CAT7RDR is offline  
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-04-24, 11:37 AM
  #391  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,205
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Drinking, smoking, cycling in traffic, motorcycling, riding in cars, sloth, red meat, old age, war, going to school (in the US).....we're a very fortunate species because we all get to choose our executioner.
We are all a danger to ourselves.
indyfabz is online now  
Old 03-04-24, 04:19 PM
  #392  
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,625

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Thread has drifted far off topic.

Closed
__________________












cb400bill is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Shamrock
Fifty Plus (50+)
1
04-20-15 09:28 AM
DXchulo
Professional Cycling For the Fans
23
04-08-11 07:18 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Road Cycling
28
02-18-11 10:31 PM
BlankCrows
Classic & Vintage
14
08-05-10 09:50 AM
RonH
Fifty Plus (50+)
30
07-25-10 06:44 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.