Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   OT: Lost my mom today... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/616212-ot-lost-my-mom-today.html)

Digital Gee 01-19-10 12:42 PM

OT: Lost my mom today...

After taking a fall on Christmas Eve, my mother became bedridden and her body began to fail her. This morning, at age 84, she passed away quietly, at home, with my father at her side. They had been married over 66 years.

I'll be leaving tomorrow for Florida for the services and to be with my family once again. I am grateful for having had both my parents for all of my life, and for the inspiration they were to me.

I'm really not sure why I'm posting this here. It's not bike-related. I'm doing okay -- we all had time to prepare ourselves for the inevitable. She's finally at peace; her final days were agonizing for everyone, because she was in great pain.

I'm also grateful that in the past few years, I really connected on a deep level with both of my parents, and was able to tell them how much I love them and what they've meant to me. Not everyone gets that chance.

miss kenton 01-19-10 12:51 PM

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. I really connected with my father after he took ill and I believe it helped me a great deal when he passed.

rumrunn6 01-19-10 12:59 PM

You have my sympathies. I wish you and your family strength and peace over the next few days. I don't know what it's like to lose a parent yet, but I imagine it's a kind of coming-of-age threshold. meaning: you now have to stand on your own without the benefit of having your Mom to turn to. I've been told that only time and distraction can help overcome great loss such as this. Take some solace in knowing that you are not alone.

Beverly 01-19-10 01:08 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss. Have a safe trip.

bjjoondo 01-19-10 01:12 PM

Our most sincere condolences on the passing of your Mom, may her memoires bring you some level of joy in this time of reflection.

Artkansas 01-19-10 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 10290423)
I'm also grateful that in the past few years, I really connected on a deep level with both of my parents, and was able to tell them how much I love them and what they've meant to me. Not everyone gets that chance.

DG, I'm very sad to hear about your Mom. It's priceless that you got to really connect with them.

So now be with your Dad. He needs you now more than ever.

Daspydyr 01-19-10 01:24 PM

Digital, am sorry for your loss and grateful for their marriage and your reconnecting with them. I am truly sorry and equally grateful for your family ties.

I think you post here because this group will really understand and care about "all" that you are going through. We all have grown up during the same time periods, experience many of the same national and international stuff as a generation. At our age, and because of what we have all been through, we are more of a family.

NOW, go to Hallmark, pick out a nice card from me, post my avatar inside it and mail it to yourself. Pretend its from this old dinosaur.

doctor j 01-19-10 01:25 PM

DG, my sincere condolences to you and your family.

cranky old dude 01-19-10 01:32 PM

D.G. Our condolences on the loss of your Mom. How blessed your folks were to share 66 years together.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

BluesDawg 01-19-10 01:55 PM

Very sorry for your loss. Peace.

gcottay 01-19-10 01:56 PM

We add our condolences.

Be sure to take it easy. Even a good death is hard.

Terrierman 01-19-10 02:17 PM

My condolences and so happy to hear about the deep loving connection that is there. RIP Mrs. Winters.

NOS88 01-19-10 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 10290423)

No, not everyone does get that chance. You are one of the lucky ones. I'm sorry to hear of your loss and understand the release that comes when a loved one is no longer suffering. I suspect you'll carry her with you the rest of your life. I hope you are able to help your father get through this difficult period and that you find the support you need to do so as well.

wrafl 01-19-10 02:43 PM

DG, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I'll include her in my prayers. Stay strong, your dad need you more now than ever.

jdon 01-19-10 02:44 PM

My sincere condolences Digital Gee.

bretgross 01-19-10 02:51 PM

Condolences, our thoughts are with you.

kjc9640 01-19-10 02:51 PM

DG, my thoughts and prayers will be with you. Please accept my sincere condolences.
Where in FL do your parents live?

MileHighMark 01-19-10 03:10 PM

DG, I'm very sorry to read of your loss. My father passed away right before Christmas, so I know what you're going through.

Louis 01-19-10 03:17 PM

Gary, I extend my sincere sympathy to you and your family.

DnvrFox 01-19-10 03:23 PM

My sincerest sympathies. It is a great relief for your mom to be out of pain.

You will be a wonderful comfort to your father.

You posted here because we are your friends and we like and admire you.

Jean Beetham Smith 01-19-10 03:47 PM

My sympathies to you and your Dad. Most of us on this forum have gone through something like this, or are about to go through such events, and can really relate. Peace and comfort to both you and your Dad.

George 01-19-10 04:11 PM

My condolences Gary, have a safe trip.

big john 01-19-10 04:33 PM

Sorry DG. It's been 1 year and 2 weeks since my mother passed and we never got close. Also never really made peace with my father, he passed in 1994. It's good that you have connected and told them how you care. Fewer regrets that way.

Digital Gee 01-19-10 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you all for your kind words; they mean a lot. To the person who asked, I'll be going to Melbourne, Florida.

I've spoken with my oldest daughter but have to wait for my youngest to get home from school. Those calls are so hard to make!

I've made all my arrangements with clients and have my airline tickets. I'm hoping the rain storms here in Southern California have no impact on my traveling east. It's raining VERY hard today. I've been keeping busy all day with simple to-do's, like laundry and errands and such, and, of course, the phone calls that I have to make.

I'm glad I posted here about this because it's amazing how connected I can feel with you all during this time. So thanks again.

Here's a picture of my parents I took about 18 months ago. It's how I'm going to remember them.

NealH 01-19-10 05:25 PM

My sincere sympathy to you and your family. Losing my mother was the worse thing I've been through. Losing my Dad was the second worse.

At 84 she had a full life. Consider yourself blessed, and amidst all the mourning, also celebrate her life.