Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Anyone Notice that Comfy Road Bikes are Now Flat Bar Road Bikes? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/618504-anyone-notice-comfy-road-bikes-now-flat-bar-road-bikes.html)

Robert Foster 01-30-10 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by thdave (Post 10338648)
Yes, I expect bike manufacturers to make a road bike with drop bars that is set up so it's comfortable to ride without changing out components. They shouldn't have to buy a cyclecross bike. They shouldn't be forced to compromise with a flat bar bike.

Mind you, I'm not talking about bike sizing--I'm talking about what Sheldon Brown mentioned in that review of the '05 Raleigh Cadent. A road bike for the is designed to be ridden by 50 year olds.

A Defy with an adjustable stem should fit the bill. And if you are buying new I can’t see why most LBS wouldn’t switch one out for you as part of the deal.
I realize your frustration but remember you who you are talking with. We are 50 or better and the advice you are getting is from people that have been right where you are. Many of us started with a relaxed road bike or flipped the stem to make it that way and after a few months flipped it back or started spending a bit more time in the drops. Some moved onto a more performance bike and even a race frame. And still we are fifty or better. The point being that just because we are fifty or better doesn’t mean the manufacturers can build a bike that is perfect for someone our age. No one knows what perfect is. That is why they sell adjustable stem, stems of different sizes and all the different pedals and saddles we in this forum use. :D

badger1 01-30-10 12:08 PM

@OP: while trying not to echo some points made here by others, here's my take on this problem.

1. FWIW, in my view too much is made of the 'flat bars vs. drop bars' thing. Properly set up, flat bars (esp. with good barends) pretty much mimic the two main drop bar positions (hoods and tops). No drops, not quite as aero, but roughly equivalent. Many, many people ride across town, the country, the world with flat bars; there's no necessary connection whatsoever between drop bars and distance cycling. That said, some just don't like flat bars, others (like me) just don't like/get on with drops. A lot of variables here -- you just have to try it all out.

2. I don't agree re. 'comfort road bikes are now flat-bar road bikes'. As others have said, if you want drops, most all of the major manufacturers now have 'plush'/'comfort'/'endurance' road bike variations. The Defy you tried is an example. For a given size, a Defy's top tube is somewhat shorter, and its headtube somewhat taller, than the equivalent TCR (Giant's racing geometry). If you tried the right size, in stock form, and found it uncomforable/unrelaxed, then that simply means either you just don't like/get on with/aren't yet used to drop bars, OR you need a stem length/angle change -- simple as that. There is no reason that a Defy in a given size can't easily/cheaply be set up (at time of purchase) so that your hands on the hoods are pretty much in roughly the same position as they would be on the barends on a Rapid (I'm speaking from experience here, having tested both. Decided against both, 'cause I like my disc-braked, roadified hardtail mtb just as much or more than either:D).

3. One more point, fwiw -- whatever you do, don't make the mistake of buying a properly-sized, well designed flat-bar road bike like the Rapid with the idea of switching it to drops down the road. A Medium Rapid is a full two centimetres longer in the toptube than a medium Defy -- rightly so, to account for the forward throw of drops. Leaving aside the considerable expense of the conversion, unless you ran a silly short stem a drop-barred Rapid would put you in a ridiculously stretched, unrelaxed position.

thdave 01-30-10 12:36 PM

I've got to a agree with you, badger, regarding the flat bar.

The Defy has a ridiculously long reach on it just to get to the handlebars. That stem has to be 4 inches long. That is the problem--not the frame.

I wouldn't switch flats to drops--didn't mean to say that if I did.

Let me ask this--if i improve and I'm riding the Rapid, how hard is it to drop the height or extend the stem of the flat bar? That would skin the cat in another way, although I still think riding the hoods would help keep my elbows in, even though bar ends could mitigate that.

dewaday 01-30-10 12:49 PM

How about a Kona Dew Drop? Basically a flat bar roadie they added drops to because people started doing the conversion themselves.

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=dewdrop

badger1 01-30-10 12:59 PM

Hey thdave!

Re. 'flats to drops' -- I know, just wanted to sound a warning there! Many people (I know some) have made that mistake -- it just never quite works right, unless the flatbar bike was 'short' to begin with (there were some like this, e.g. the older Giant FCRs, but designers seem more on to the differences now).

I agree too re. elbows; one of the undeniable advantages of drops is the aero position -- not just being flatter on the bike but also 'narrower' (if that makes sense).

Having said that, even on a flat-barred bike (e.g. Rapid) there's lots 'n lots of room for adjustment as one gains flexibility: as I recall there's a good stack of spacers, the stem could be flipped -- heck, you can even cut the bars themselves down a few centimetres if you want (limitation is of course the grips/controls, but there's a bit of slush in there).

In other words, there's also no necessary connection between flat bars and a 'sit up and beg' ride position; I have my bike set up in a classic xcountry mtb 'race' position: think very slightly relaxed version of riding the hoods on drops. Not quite as 'flat' or 'narrow', but not that far off/virtually identical position re. pedalling dynamics. There is a trade off, but for me it's acceptable because I'm one of those who find the advantages (given my age, physical limitations, etc.) of flat bars are greater than the losses. If I were 20 years younger, and/or wanted to race on the road, maybe I'd think different, but I'm not -- and I don't;)

BluesDawg 01-30-10 01:16 PM

If a stem is too long for your preferences, it takes about 5 minutes to change to a shorter one. The shop should make the swap for little or nothing. Even if you had to buy a new stem, you can get one for $20 and sell the old one. I just don't see the problem here. A stem is a part designed to be easily replaceable in order to custom fit a bike to riders of different sizes or preferences. It is not a big deal.

stapfam 01-30-10 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by thdave (Post 10339029)

Let me ask this--if i improve and I'm riding the Rapid, how hard is it to drop the height or extend the stem of the flat bar? That would skin the cat in another way, although I still think riding the hoods would help keep my elbows in, even though bar ends could mitigate that.

Most stems fitted to a bike can give you two heights for the bar just by taking it off and turning it upside down. On top of that there are spacers- normally under the stem- on a new bike that can be taken out. Plus the fact that new stems are not that expensive, unless you want to pay for bling, and are available in longer or shorter lengths than the standard fitted to a new bike.

And bar ends-- Easily fitted and do give a change of position for the hands. They also come in a variety of shapes and sizes to give even greater choice.

It is very rare that a new bike fits perfectly off the shelf. But a good LBS will assist you in getting comfortable on a bike by changing a few parts and setting the bike up for you. The problems come a bit later on when you realise that you have adapted to cycling and now require a different fit on the bike.

That is where I try to give a warning to all newcomers. The first bike you buy only serves one purpose. That purpose is to tell you what you should have bought in the first place. This is normal and is why the expression N+1 is seen so often on this forum.

chipcom 01-30-10 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by thdave (Post 10338204)
This confirms my frustration. I can get what I want if I modify existing bikes on the rack or custom order or buy a cross/touring bike.

I know some say certain models are already suited this way, but I've looked, ridden several, and don't agree. I will ride some more, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to modify a bike. Too bad, imo.

Still, it sounds like that will be cheap and easy. I'm not going to fret on it, but it's clear to me that these fun flat bar road bikes are the substitues for relaxed drop bar bikes. That doesn't work for everyone. I think they are missing a market.

I need to take you bike shopping/specing.

chipcom 01-30-10 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by thdave (Post 10338648)
Yes, I expect bike manufacturers to make a road bike with drop bars that is set up so it's comfortable to ride without changing out components. We shouldn't have to buy a cyclecross bike. We shouldn't be forced to compromise with a flat bar bike.

Mind you, I'm not talking about bike sizing--I'm talking about what Sheldon Brown mentioned in that review of the '05 Raleigh Cadent. A road bike for the is designed to be ridden by 50 year olds.

Swapping stems to get the proper fit is common with drop-bar bikes and new drop-bar riders. Many of us know exactly what we need because we have years of experience on similar bikes. I know that I like a classic geometry frame with a tall head tube with a 57-58cm top tube a 100-110mm stem with enough rise to put the bars about 0-1.5" below my saddle. I also have 6 bikes, 4 of which are drop-bar, so I have something I know is comfy from years of riding to compare to. You don't have that luxury, so I suggest concentrating on looking for proper frame size with a tall head tube and having the shop swap the stem with one that is adjustable. Then you'll be able to experiment and determine what the optimum length and rise are for you, and swap out the stem again for the correct size. Swapping a stem is a piece of cake...not rocket science. :p

thdave 01-30-10 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by chipcom (Post 10340051)
Swapping stems to get the proper fit is common with drop-bar bikes and new drop-bar riders. Many of us know exactly what we need because we have years of experience on similar bikes. I know that I like a classic geometry frame with a tall head tube with a 57-58cm top tube a 100-110mm stem with enough rise to put the bars about 0-1.5" below my saddle. I also have 6 bikes, 4 of which are drop-bar, so I have something I know is comfy from years of riding to compare to. You don't have that luxury, so I suggest concentrating on looking for proper frame size with a tall head tube and having the shop swap the stem with one that is adjustable. Then you'll be able to experiment and determine what the optimum length and rise are for you, and swap out the stem again for the correct size. Swapping a stem is a piece of cake...not rocket science. :p

Well, I'm a rocket scientist and I was pretty intimidated.:o I wish they told me this last time I went out for a ride and mentioned the comfort issue I had with the Defy.

I went to Century Cycles today and they showed me steering extenders and adjustable stems, which looked simple to install--I guess I just expect too much with the stock bike. I suspect they'd be fine with changing those out and letting me ride before I bought. Might cost me a few bucks and half or a full pound; might not.

Their store was busy, surprisingly enough for late January, so I didn't bother them for a ride. I rode there, as you might figure, so I was ready.

Interestingly enough, the salesman showed me how they could flip the stem on the Rapid flat bar bike, to lower the bars an inch and a half. Very simple. Also, the stem is adjustable vertically, too, unlike the Defy. Looks like I could make both the flat bar and drop bar bike models work now and again later, if my riding improves and I want to ride lower.

Even though it's no bike deal, I'm still flakey on this and I'm debating if I'm going to do any overnighters with the bike. The idea has gone over like a lead balloon with my family,:o so I'm likely to get the sportier bike rather than steel. We'll see.

roccobike 01-30-10 08:22 PM

Interesting thread. I have the OCR-C, the predecessor to the Defy. I like the OCR-C very much, but was not real thrilled with the Defy. Others I ride with that have the OCR-C have said the same thing. I think the new frame is more aggressive, less relaxed.
To the OP, I agree with those who are encouraging you to buy a drop bar bike. Just try a different brand or a shop who is willing to make more changes to get you a better fit.

Robert Foster 01-30-10 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by thdave (Post 10340794)
Well, I'm a rocket scientist and I was pretty intimidated.:o I wish they told me this last time I went out for a ride and mentioned the comfort issue I had with the Defy.

I went to Century Cycles today and they showed me steering extenders and adjustable stems, which looked simple to install--I guess I just expect too much with the stock bike. I suspect they'd be fine with changing those out and letting me ride before I bought. Might cost me a few bucks and half or a full pound; might not.

Their store was busy, surprisingly enough for late January, so I didn't bother them for a ride. I rode there, as you might figure, so I was ready.

Interestingly enough, the salesman showed me how they could flip the stem on the Rapid flat bar bike, to lower the bars an inch and a half. Very simple. Also, the stem is adjustable vertically, too, unlike the Defy. Looks like I could make both the flat bar and drop bar bike models work now and again later, if my riding improves and I want to ride lower.

Even though it's no bike deal, I'm still flakey on this and I'm debating if I'm going to do any overnighters with the bike. The idea has gone over like a lead balloon with my family,:o so I'm likely to get the sportier bike rather than steel. We'll see.

We have about beaten this topic to death I am sure. Just remember there is no real typical 50 year old in cycling. That is why it is so hard to just pick a bike one off of the rack. It is also the reason so many will suggest you go to a bike shop that will fit you. I will dare say that even if you found the bike that you thought fit you perfectly today you will modify the same bike within six months. It is more than likely it will be three months but I’ll cut you some slack. And if you learn you love longer rides my guess is you will modify it even more and the n+1 bug will attack you. ;)
Don’t ask us how we know. :eek: Just know none of us have ever been where you are now.:innocent:

chipcom 01-31-10 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by thdave (Post 10340794)

My invitation stands...I'll meet up with you at Century down in Peninsula where we can noodle over it with Derrick, who has built or modified most of my bikes. He knows how to set up a bike for old non-racer boys like us. ;)

You can always have the bike built down there and delivered at the Rocky River store.

jppe 01-31-10 10:15 AM

OP-I can appreciate your perspective and what you're after. Even with the best of advice from LBS's and knowledgeable input from my riding friends I ventured down the same road you're headed. I started on flat bars and migrated to other setups. It's probably no consolation, but after 10 years and thousands of miles of riding, I'm still fiddling with stem lengths and frame sizes. I can be comfortable with a number of setups, including my current setups but my riding style and physcial needs are changing over time.

Frankly, I think your expectation of a non-customized bike to fit out of the box is probably expecting too much. Even two people who are the same overall height may ride two different setups due to their leg lengths, arm length, torso size, etc. The beauty of a bike is it can be adjusted and dialed in to an individual's needs. That is why there are frame builders out there but they may be beyond your price range.

A real key is to first get the frame geometry and size to your liking. It sounds like you're interested in being more upright so that should direct you towards a certain frame type. Work wtih someone to get you to the best size for you. The placement of the bars has a lot of flexibility by the various stems available. I'm thinking that is where you're going to need to experiment to find out what works best for you. As others have pointed out, a stem is a cheap adjustment in my book. The key is first finding out the right length of stem you want. It sounds like you're probably leaning towards shorter than longer-depending on the top tube length. I'm using a Ritchey adjustable stem on one of my bikes just to try and find the right bar height. It is a little heavy as far as stems go but it's not too expensive and has a lot of variation in terms of height adjustment.

I still prefer drop bars over straight bars as there are lots of different hand positions for drop bars. If you look at drop bars, the ones I find most comfortable are the ergo versions that have a shorter reach from the bars to the hoods.

And we have not even started talking about saddles.......it goes on and on!! You will probably want and need to change the stock saddle that comes on a non-customized bike.

Monkey Face 01-31-10 11:54 AM

How about north road style bars?

Generally, I prefer drops - so much so that I wanted to convert my little-used mtb. However, that would mean road shifters to fit a drop bar diameter, so I've gone for north roads.

They'll have the equivalent reach of flat bars, while turning the hands to a more natural position - making the whole thing a bit more relaxed.

thdave 01-31-10 06:45 PM

North road bars help keep your elbows in. I have them on my Breezer. Odd they don't have them on more bikes.

When I got to my 30's and bought a hybrid with flat bars, I started riding a lot. I had rented a bike with them when I was in Monterrey, CA (I rode from the harbor to Pebble Beach and back--it was glorious). Loved it, and I sold my drop bar bike which I hardly ever rode. My cycling took off after I bought fenders and I started commuting 3-4 days/week. I know I love comfy bikes with flat or north road bars. I don't know about the drops, and I've talked myself into this new purchase to increase my cycling, which is my most fulfilling sport, with hopes of long trips.

BTW, the bike salesman told me that the flat bar road bikes were designed for comfortable, fast rides. He advises that I stay with that and adjust it as I go forth. Otherwise, I'm taking a risk with the more agressive geometry.

Thanks, Chip, for your offer. I'm sure you'd help if I went that route, but unless I figure I'm quite a bit better off with drops, I'm going to stay with the bike that gave me the most joy--the flat bar Rapid.