Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   If 6 turned out to be 9 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/618796-if-6-turned-out-9-a.html)

SaiKaiTai 01-30-10 09:07 PM

If 6 turned out to be 9

OK, maybe more like, if 4 turned out to be 9 but I'm not passing up a chance to use a Hendrix quote :)

It's amazing how fast we lose it. Haven't been riding as much in the new year.
The weather has been wet, windy and generally not very nice.
On top of that, I've been "asked" to put in 3 days a week in the office. I was pretty much working from home every day by late last year... LOTS of luinch time rides. Gone now :(
So, what I've been reduced to is 2 or 3 days a week on the trainer. It's just not the same.

Ahh, but today? It was a beautiful day. The storms have gone leaving blue skies and mammoth, billowy clouds. And no wind, a real plus.

So, I went out today with no goals or destinations in mind. I just wanted out.
I found out in a hurry that my legs were gone. But, am I going to let that stop me? No way.
The flats were comfortable enough but if the road turned up at all, my legs wnet flat.
Still, I didn't shy away from climbing, I sort of had no choice.

I did worry when little 4% climbs felt more like 7% and the 6% climbs felt ridiculous.
On the way back home, ~4 miles of steady uphill, I was able to find a rhythm and an acceptable level of pain and it sort of got to be fun. Fun? Guess I got it bad. No wonder people don't understand us.

In the end 26.5 miles and 3 hours out.
Yep, not only slow but also not in a hurry. It was glorious.
Can't wait for the next time out.
P.S. More rain coming next week. ...sigh....

billydonn 01-30-10 10:15 PM

And then there are just the seemingly random days when your performance just isn't right and you are sluggish and slower than normal. We all have them, no? Maybe it was just one of those off days. The important thing is that you rode and enjoyed it!

More bad weather is on the way here too! This is the worst winter I have known!

sknhgy 01-30-10 10:22 PM

In the summer I ride everyday. Winter, it's weekends only and maybe once during the week around the neighborhood. But man, it feels great when you do get a chance to go. I'm going to try some singletrack tomorrow on the mtb. Trails should be frozen enough to ride.

SaiKaiTai 01-30-10 11:38 PM

My wife just pointed out to me, over dinner, that she can tell I rode today because I was in a good mood :wtf:
Not quite sure how I should take that but I guess there is some truth to it.

BluesDawg 01-30-10 11:55 PM

Fall, mountain. Fall into the sea (edit) Just don't fall on me.

stapfam 01-31-10 03:51 AM

Thanks to weather and a few aches and pains- haven't been out much this winter. Got in the occasional 20 miles on flat roads but that has been about it. I am dreading the time when I can get out as I will be starting with tired muscles- weak lungs and a brain that says "I must be able to do this" I'l just have to over ride the brain and take it steady for a few rides gradually upping speed, milage and height gained on each ride.

The Weak Link 01-31-10 08:12 AM

When I have an "off day" I ask myself if this will reduce my chances of making the TdF this year.

The sad thing is that there is little difference between a "ripping and railing" day and an off day for me. So it's all good.

BTW: in my neck of the woods it's 9 out, snow is on the ground, and there is lots of ice on the roads, so I'm exiled to my trainer for awhile.

Anyone fantasize or perhaps even done "L'Etape"?

big john 01-31-10 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 10341664)
Fall, mountain. Fall into the sea.

Sing on, brother. Play on, drummer.

BluesDawg 01-31-10 09:25 AM

Point on, Mr. business man. You can't dress like me.

Great song!

sknhgy 01-31-10 07:26 PM

If all the hippies cut off all their hair..................

SaiKaiTai 01-31-10 10:17 PM

I don't care. I DON'T CARE.
'Cuz I've gone my own world to live through and I ain't gonna copy you.

lhbernhardt 02-04-10 01:10 AM

I always thought Hendrix's lyrics in the Axis: Bold as Love album were pretty lame. Very sophomoric, derived, and obvious. His first album is still the best just because it was the most outrageous, refreshing, and original. As I recall, the third album was much better than Axis, but he was doing Dylan material (All Along the Watchtower). And CrossTown Traffic was a return to the more acerbic Hendrix ("tire tracks all across your back, but uh, I had my fun") (This is all from memory, so the lyrics are likely somewhat incorrect.)

"I shot her, I gave her the gun!"

- L.

maddmaxx 02-04-10 05:21 AM

Jimmy had lyrics? People keep describing the 60's to me but its still just a haze.

big john 02-04-10 08:35 AM

tire tracks all across your back, I can see you had your fun
Electric Ladyland ftw.

Artkansas 02-04-10 11:31 AM

Today, it's strictly "Rainy Day, Dream Away".

I don't suppose that Jimi ever mentioned bicycles.

ahsposo 02-04-10 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 10342191)
Anyone fantasize or perhaps even done "L'Etape"?

Oh, yeah. It's a bucket list thing.

Hopefully I can do it on my bike and not a Rascal...

BluesDawg 02-04-10 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx (Post 10359900)
Jimmy had lyrics? People keep describing the 60's to me but its still just a haze.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...medium=twitter
:lol:

maddmaxx 02-04-10 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 10361418)

Very good reading..............

I remember some of those events. :D