Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Oh yeah, ok, updating the tumbling thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/618868-oh-yeah-ok-updating-tumbling-thread.html)

wobblyoldgeezer 01-31-10 08:13 AM

Oh yeah, ok, updating the tumbling thread

(Sorry, but I just listened to Keith Richards on a radio interview. 'Don't normally wake up early but one day I did with a riff on my mind, played this onto the cassette machine, took it round to see Mick, had it done by 12.00. That was a good morning's work, I thought. Turned out to be 'Tumbling Dice' which hasn't been a bad pension by anyone's standards'.)

Anyhow, today's 3 months since I tumbled off my bike and broke my femur, 2 1/2 months since I got 2 additional fractures from referred leverage from the position of the pins

I'm due for an xray to decide if I can put some weight on the leg next Tuesday. I've been at work for the last 2 weeks, which is good to get the brain out of 'invalid' status. Still not driving, so still dependent on others for lifts and transfers through the security gates

And so looking forward to an 'ok then' to put some weight on the leg, use a cane rather than crutches and/or walker, and be able to do stairs and to cook (my favourite thing) using hands rather than having both occupied on balance on crutches

And if I get the OK for weight on my leg, a good long 'light and easy' bike ride this coming weekend is the highest of priorities, before the weather gets challenging again - this week temperatures went from 20 C (very nice) to 33 ( a bit north of nice!)

And best wishes to anyone else coming back from a bash!

The Weak Link 01-31-10 08:59 AM

This type of injury would probably end my career. I prefer not to think about it at all. Hope you heal quickly.

miss kenton 01-31-10 09:18 AM

(Sorry, but I just listened to Keith Richards on a radio interview. 'Don't normally wake up early but one day I did with a riff on my mind, played this onto the cassette machine, took it round to see Mick, had it done by 12.00. That was a good morning's work, I thought. Turned out to be 'Tumbling Dice' which hasn't been a bad pension by anyone's standards'.)
Well, I bet you can't wait for Ruby Tuesday. Hopefully, your visit won't be like The Last Time and you will be cycling around like Jumpin' Jack Flash. But be patient, You Can't Always Get What You Want. You may have to do the Harlem Shuffle for a little longer to get around, or maybe you'll need to use a walker for a while. In that case, Paint it Black. It will look more sporty. And remember, if you can't ride your bike, you could always purchase a Beast of Burden or even some Wild Horses! You just have to keep your spirits up and Not Fade Away. :lol:

jppe 01-31-10 09:20 AM

Here's hoping you get the results needed to get back on the bike soon! I'm betting just being back out getting the HR up a little could speed up the healing process. Even a shortish ride will do wonders for the psyche. While it was a bone break, hopefully recovery from that goes a lot faster than tendon, nerve, ligament and muscle problems.........

overthehillmedi 01-31-10 09:22 AM

Miss Kenton, you have way too much time on your hands,get out and ride your new bike! :D

wobblyoldgeezer 01-31-10 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by miss kenton (Post 10342385)
Well, I bet you can't wait for Ruby Tuesday. Hopefully, your visit won't be like The Last Time and you will be cycling around like Jumpin' Jack Flash. But be patient, You Can't Always Get What You Want. You may have to do the Harlem Shuffle for a little longer to get around, or maybe you'll need to use a walker for a while. In that case, Paint it Black. It will look more sporty. And remember, if you can't ride your bike, you could always purchase a Beast of Burden or even some Wild Horses! You just have to keep your spirits up and Not Fade Away. :lol:

Sweet

(In the breathy throaty voice after the music stopped on the unplugged 'Drifting Away' - your post indicates that we might both like the same kind o'thing)

Ta

wobblyoldgeezer 01-31-10 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 10342316)
This type of injury would probably end my career. I prefer not to think about it at all. Hope you heal quickly.

Yes indeed. I went 'on salary' with my current employer, having previously provided some consultancy services to them, 5 years ago. Previous to that I was running my own little consulting company. If I'd had 3 months incapacitated.....as you say!

Very grateful to my current employer. I thought I'd come here for 5 years when I joined in March 2005. Not currently planning to go anywhere else!

naisme 01-31-10 01:46 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about this scenario when my bike slid out from under me, depositing me in the street. I banged my knee pretty good. I decided to quit riding in the icy streets. My vehicle's broke, so I'm back at. This is thought provoking...

stapfam 01-31-10 02:31 PM

Have to admit that until a few years ago I used to Mountain bike. Falling off is part of the game but up until 4 years ago I used to bounce. The last time I fell was at 30mph on a rock strewn path and it hurt. Made me think about my sanity so I took up road riding. Wobbly's injury has made me realise that you can have a simple fall and do some serious damage.

Good part about wobblys bones is that they are healing. (Fingers and everything else crossed Till Tuesday) So there is hope for us yet.

Good luck for tuesday- But I am afraid the Stones have never been my favourite. They just don't give me any satisfaction.

BluesDawg 01-31-10 06:57 PM

Time Is On his Side if he can stay away from those ***** Tonk Women who'll try to keep him Under their Thumb. They just have no Sympathy For The Devil. But he'd be a Fool To Cry about it or get angry and become a Street Fighting Man. He could even get Happy if someone could Start him Up and come to his Emotinal Rescue. They might even Spend The Night Together. Guess I should Get Off Of My Cloud before I have my 19th Nervous Breakdown. After all, It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (but I like it). :eek:

PAlt 01-31-10 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 10344275)
Time Is On his Side if he can stay away from those ***** Tonk Women who'll try to keep him Under their Thumb. They just have no Sympathy For The Devil. But he'd be a Fool To Cry about it or get angry and become a Street Fighting Man. He could even get Happy if someone could Start him Up and come to his Emotinal Rescue. They might even Spend The Night Together. Guess I should Get Off Of My Cloud before I have my 19th Nervous Breakdown. After all, It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (but I like it). :eek:

OK, y'all can stop now.....:D:D:D

miss kenton 01-31-10 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 10344275)

:thumb:

NOS88 01-31-10 08:39 PM

Wishing the best for you.

BluesDawg 01-31-10 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by PAlt (Post 10344288)
OK, y'all can stop now.....:D:D:D

Yeah. We're 2000 Light Years From Home. ;)

Louis 01-31-10 09:26 PM

I've never broken a bone which is practically a miracle considering all the damn fool things I've done in my life. Of course, there's still time. :rolleyes:

Hope it all works out well for you, Wobbly.:thumb: