Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

N-1 (Sigh)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 08:31 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
N-1 (Sigh)

An friend emailed me that a fellow was looking for a used touring bike for his 14 year old daughter to ride coast-to-coast next summer. I offered to sell my venerable RB-2 which, while not a real touring bike, is actually pretty well equipped for a coast-to-coast assisted tour. I even suggested I might include my wife's ladies-style Brooks saddle.

It'll be 6 months since my accident next week and my left elbow doesn't seem to be recovering very well. I've all but given up the idea of riding a conventional bike again for more than a short ride. Weather permitting we're off to Hays, Kansas next week to try out a recumbent tandem. If that goes well, a recumbent single bike will follow.

Selling off my bikes feels so drastic. I'm thinking this is really going to happen. Anybody want to buy a really nice Santana road tandem?
Old 02-06-10, 09:31 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Know iy will be a while before you can get on a conventional bike- but don't give up fully.

And Getting rid of a Bike that will be put to good use is very honourable. You ought to get a medal- but I would start running now. If anyone even looked at my comfy saddle I think I would kill them. To give away the wifes saddle and I hate to think what she would do to you.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-06-10, 11:04 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Know iy will be a while before you can get on a conventional bike- but don't give up fully.

And Getting rid of a Bike that will be put to good use is very honourable. You ought to get a medal- but I would start running now. If anyone even looked at my comfy saddle I think I would kill them. To give away the wifes saddle and I hate to think what she would do to you.
I'm not giving up on conventional bikes entirely - yet. I've still got the Klein. I'm just working through the grieving process. The thought that one of my old bikes might make a coast-to-coast trip is much more attractive to me than trying to maximize my sale proceeds.

Also, Mrs. Grouch's Brooks saddle isn't going anywhere unless and until we settle on the recumbent Seavo. The majority report is that Rans recumbent seats are even more comfortable than a well broken in Brooks. Not only am I not worried, but the idea that that saddle could be used by a cross country cyclist has the same appeal as selling the bike for that use.
Old 02-06-10, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can appreciate mourning the passage of an era, an upright bike era. Though you'll hold onto the dream of future short rides on your old friend, you can now look foreward to entering a whole new world of cycling.

The various geometries and rides in the recumbent world are almost mind boggling. As you gradually home in on "What's right for you" you'll quite probably become very excited about your next recumbent purchase as you shop around for that perfect bike for yourself.

Your accident and injury is most unfortunate but the availability and variety of recumbents should assure that you'll be back out there riding soon.

Good Hunting, Mr. Grouch!!!!
Old 02-06-10, 07:43 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
we're off to Hays, Kansas
Locally, Hays is known as "Hays, America." The story I heard was because the German farmers who settled the area would write "Hays, America" as their return address when they sent mail home.

Worth seeing this while you're in the area:

https://www.stfidelischurch.com/
Old 02-06-10, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Part of the selling price should include the stipidation that the young lady be required to take a picture of the bike with some scenery behind it every day and send a copy to you. That way at least you'll be able to take your trip at least in your mind
Old 02-06-10, 09:34 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hopefully you will continue to improve. Have you been going to physical therapy?

I love my RANS recumbent. Riding it on the Katy last October was wonderful. More enjoyable than any upright bike I've ever ridden. Good luck with your trip to Hays.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post