Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pardon me, but....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pardon me, but....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 06:23 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Pardon me, but....

I am slightly under the age limit (turn 49 in a June), but I have a question that maybe a few folks here will know the answer to.

I have a hernia, the doc thought so, and sent me for an ultrasound to confirm, and yup, its a hernia. I see the surgeon in early March, and will probably have surgery for it, a little while later, but it could be as long as a couple of months later. This means that it ends up at the beginning of the cycling season around here. So, anyone know how long your off the bike after the surgery? If it's only a week or two, that would be okay, if it's like the 6 weeks I am off work, then, that means it could be mid-July before I get started

I expect most folks around here are over 50, anybody have a problem with that age, 30 didn't phase me, 40 didn't bother me, 50 scares the crap out of me. Is this typical?
Old 02-10-10, 06:48 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Haven't had that particular problem. Have you been advised to not cycle until you've been 'fixed'?

You're right.....50 is very, very scary.

60 isn't so bad, though!
Old 02-10-10, 06:52 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Fear ye not, Oh young one! I feel better now at 54 than I did at -40. Eat a healthy diet, get plenty of exercise, and find things you love to do. I find myself thankful to be young enough to do the things I like to do and old enough not to care if anybody likes it or not!
Old 02-10-10, 06:52 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I had a double hernia repair at age 30.
Took me six weeks to return to normal.
It all depends on the actual surgery and the doctor doing the cutting.

Old 02-10-10, 08:11 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I had a double hernia repair at age 30.
Took me six weeks to return to normal.
It all depends on the actual surgery and the doctor doing the cutting.
Given your advanced experienc 10 wheels that would have been about the era where they gutted you like a fish and had you bite down hard on a knife.

My brother just had one fixed - tiny little incision where they put in the scope and did it all from the inside. However he is off the bike for about 8 weeks.

I thought 50 was going to go by without any issues - but I must confess I got pretty depressed that day. Now - it's just all down hill, and isn't that the best time for a cyclist.
Old 02-10-10, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I have not been blessed with hernia problems but a friend of mine had the old fashioned slice dice and puree surgery with chain link fence stiched in. It took him a full 8 weeks as well.

I understand it depends on the Dr., the severity and location. Hopefully you get off light.

50? Yes, scared the **** out of me. 2 days later I realized that all the wheels didn't fall off the cart at that magical age and life has been grand ever since. I took a lot or ribbing from my riding group though..

Oh.. that missing testosterone? That is what makes this forum great and the 41 and 33 painful to read. Some things are for the better.

Last edited by jdon; 02-10-10 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-10-10, 08:34 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
37 bothered me. I was riding my bike with the 24 y/o girl I was seeing at the time and it all of a sudden hit me for the first time that I was almost 40. I had gotten over it by the time I was 40 and age hasn't bothered me since.

I had an umbilical hernia repaired about 13 years ago. I remember before the surgery being very upset that I wouldn't be able to ride for a while. I can't recall how long I was off the bike, but I do remember that riding a bike was the farthest thing from my mind in the first few days after the surgery.
Old 02-10-10, 08:41 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Given your advanced experienc 10 wheels that would have been about the era where they gutted you like a fish and had you bite down hard on a knife.

My brother just had one fixed - tiny little incision where they put in the scope and did it all from the inside. However he is off the bike for about 8 weeks.

I thought 50 was going to go by without any issues - but I must confess I got pretty depressed that day. Now - it's just all down hill, and isn't that the best time for a cyclist.
So 6 to 8 weeks off bike, so I see the surgeon on March 5, figure he will do the surgery before May 5th, 8 weeks off means July 5th, season runs roughly mid-May to late September, ah, shucks that sucks. Only good thing is the time off work is about the same. If it goes just right I will go back to work the same day I go on vacation
Old 02-10-10, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The responses you've gotten so far are correct. The length of time off the bike depends entirely on the location and the size. With a small hernia you might be off the bike for a week or so, depending on your general health, or you'll be off longer if it's a bigger surgery.

I had surgery to repair an incisional hernia occurring after I had a major abdominal surgery for colon cancer. I thought it would be no big deal after two major gut surgeries. I was wrong. It was an outpatient procedure on a Friday and I went back to work on Monday, which was a big mistake. I was back on the bike after about two weeks. Hernia surgery, like other times when they cut into your belly, hurts. Don't be afraid to take the pain meds.
Old 02-11-10, 07:21 AM

Bikes: True North custom touring bike, small Dahon folder, ancient CCM trainer bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I see you are from Toronto, have you thought about the Shouldice clinic? After two previous (failed) hernia ops, my husband had his hernias repaired there and they told him he could do anything he felt comfortable with afterwards. That was several years ago, and everything is fine. They fix anyone who is not overweight or has no risky medical conditions. My husband just added - and the food is good!
Old 02-11-10, 07:28 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I had what was supposed to be a simple hernia repair - under local anesthetic - many, many moons ago.

It turned out to be a "sliding hernia" - which, apparently, is much more complex. So, there I was, under a local and not prepared for a general anesthetic, and because of the "slidaing hernia" they were cutting where the local anesthetic could not stop the pain.

They refused my request for a mirror so I could watch what they were doing. Heck, they didnt even give me a TV or a book to read!!

That was a fun unplanned several hours, all of which I remember to this day.

Anyways, it took me some time to recover, as I recall.
Old 02-11-10, 08:30 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I guess it's just something you have to do. I had a foot operation early last year after another doctor screwed it up the year before. I was off the bike for 6 weeks with one surgery and 2 months with the second one. I know if sucks, but it's just something that has to be done. Good luck on the surgery and ride easy for a while after.
Old 02-11-10, 08:46 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ms. Bibendum
As I see you are from Toronto, have you thought about the Shouldice clinic? After two previous (failed) hernia ops, my husband had his hernias repaired there and they told him he could do anything he felt comfortable with afterwards. That was several years ago, and everything is fine. They fix anyone who is not overweight or has no risky medical conditions. My husband just added - and the food is good!
Shouldice has charges above and beyond what the work plan covers, so they are out, and I am also slightly over their weight limit.
Old 02-11-10, 09:08 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got my first inguinal hernia repair about 3 months before I was scheduled to leave on my first big bike tour - from Seattle down the west coast to San Luis Obispo. I followed doctor's orders. When I started riding I took it easy. I worked my way up for a few weeks, then tried a pretty taxing 25-mile mountain bike ride on dirt roads. It didn't seem to irritate the surgery site at all. I took my tour as planned and had a great time. The only problem was that my training schedule was interrupted and I wasn't in very good shape when I started. The first 3 days were hard and unpleasant, but after that I got my second wind and didn't have physical problems again.

My advice (for what it's worth - not too much) would be to follow your doctor's orders about when to resume cycling, ease back into it, stop riding and call her/him if you feel pain, and let your body tell you when it's ready to resume 100% effort.

After my second repair, 15 years later, I rode the Northern Tier over the North Cascades Highway. The only problem was the numbness at the incision site.
Old 02-11-10, 09:59 AM
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
I expect most folks around here are over 50, anybody have a problem with that age, 30 didn't phase me, 40 didn't bother me, 50 scares the crap out of me. Is this typical?
You're not alone: I turn 50 next month and it makes me anxious even though I know it's just a number. On the plus side, I'm fit and healthy (thank you, bike!) and "the big 5-0" has caused me to get serious about a few life goals such as travel.
Old 02-11-10, 11:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wogsterca,think of fifty this way,you only have ten years to go before you can collect CPP. And then use the first few payments to buy a new bike!
Old 02-11-10, 11:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a umbilical hernia repair (right by belly button) last year. Simple surgery. The first couple days I was completely haunched over (miserable). Starting feeling better on days 3-4. I would expect 2 weeks of no bike. Then go easy. If it bothers you, stop. There are different types of hernia repair. Ask your doc. I doubt you'll be layed up weeks and weeks on end.
Old 02-11-10, 11:59 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Many years ago and a mate of mine had a hernia op. 6 weeks off the bike- so before he was allowed to ride he walked. I mean walked because he wasn't allowed to run either. On day 42 he got back on his bike and did a Metric offroad and slaughtered the rest of us. All that walking had got him fitter.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-11-10, 05:58 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I got my first inguinal hernia repair about 3 months before I was scheduled to leave on my first big bike tour - from Seattle down the west coast to San Luis Obispo. I followed doctor's orders. When I started riding I took it easy. I worked my way up for a few weeks, then tried a pretty taxing 25-mile mountain bike ride on dirt roads. It didn't seem to irritate the surgery site at all. I took my tour as planned and had a great time. The only problem was that my training schedule was interrupted and I wasn't in very good shape when I started. The first 3 days were hard and unpleasant, but after that I got my second wind and didn't have physical problems again.

My advice (for what it's worth - not too much) would be to follow your doctor's orders about when to resume cycling, ease back into it, stop riding and call her/him if you feel pain, and let your body tell you when it's ready to resume 100% effort.

After my second repair, 15 years later, I rode the Northern Tier over the North Cascades Highway. The only problem was the numbness at the incision site.
My reasons for asking here, is that sometimes the surgeon, if they don't cycle themselves, will not truly know how long. Then you get very vague answers, my plan right now is to use the trainer (winter maintenance mode - 10km x 4 days a week) up until the day before surgery, then if I need to take a few weeks off, I will. My original plan, which is often the plan in December is to build up to a decent distance over the winter on the trainer, so I can hit the ground running in the spring. That was the plan in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, so far, it's like the hopes Toronto can field a decent professional hockey team, this year. I always seem to have some issue in the spring that screws it up. 2007 I had a serious MTB crash, 2008 I blew my back out (at work no less), 2009 I could not get motivated - never did, 2010 will be a hernia. Maybe I need a new sport, something less dangerous, like sky diving! (I can hear the wife now, )
Old 02-12-10, 02:03 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My reasons for asking here, is that sometimes the surgeon, if they don't cycle themselves, will not truly know how long. Then you get very vague answers, my plan right now is to use the trainer (winter maintenance mode - 10km x 4 days a week) up until the day before surgery, then if I need to take a few weeks off, I will. My original plan, which is often the plan in December is to build up to a decent distance over the winter on the trainer, so I can hit the ground running in the spring. That was the plan in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, so far, it's like the hopes Toronto can field a decent professional hockey team, this year. I always seem to have some issue in the spring that screws it up. 2007 I had a serious MTB crash, 2008 I blew my back out (at work no less), 2009 I could not get motivated - never did, 2010 will be a hernia. Maybe I need a new sport, something less dangerous, like sky diving! (I can hear the wife now, )
Have to agree about Surgeons not understanding cycling. Had a bypass and I asked the doc about cycling- He could not understand why I even wanted to cycle in the first place- Asked the Surgeon and he could not understand why I wanted to ruin his good work so soon. But the Surgeon gave me some help. He had no experience of someone wanting to exert themselvs so soon after a bypass- so down to the physio dept and see what I could do when all wired up to see what problems I would have. 30 minutes later and I got the allclear to ride. What he did not realise was that at week 12 I did a 40 miler that if I realised how hard it was going to be- I would have trained for it.

But bu**er having you as a ride partner- with your problems I would be forever doing solo rides.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-12-10, 02:47 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Can't they schedule it sooner, to get it done completely, (including rehab) before the weather gets nice???
Old 03-05-10, 06:25 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Can't they schedule it sooner, to get it done completely, (including rehab) before the weather gets nice???
Saw the surgeon this morning, surgery is scheduled for late June, and will be off bike and work for 4 weeks. Right in the middle of riding season If they can do it sooner they will.
Old 03-06-10, 10:12 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...will be off bike and work for 4 weeks. Right in the middle of riding season
Sucks, but maybe not too bad. I was laid up with kidney stones and the resulting "procedures" for about that long last summer, and found that when I got back on the bike it didn't take too long to get back in shape. Do what exercise you can meantime and you'll be fine!
Old 03-06-10, 10:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talk to your boss and see if you can arrange to take the time off for surgury at short notice i.e.boss,the hospital called and want me now.Then see the doctor and see if he'll put you on the short notice list,that way if they get a cancellation they'll call you for the proceedure. I'd that for my carpal tunnel surg. and instead of waiting six weeks both times I was in in under two.
Old 03-06-10, 11:38 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
Talk to your boss and see if you can arrange to take the time off for surgury at short notice i.e.boss,the hospital called and want me now.Then see the doctor and see if he'll put you on the short notice list,that way if they get a cancellation they'll call you for the proceedure. I'd that for my carpal tunnel surg. and instead of waiting six weeks both times I was in in under two.
Already on the cancellation list, will inform boss of that Monday. There are advantages and disadvantages, although it's the middle of biking season, it means I can recuperate sitting in the backyard with some good books, in the warmth of summer, instead of sitting inside in front of the TV watching my IQ point balance drop, as my weight goes up.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.