Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A new wide-gearing road option on the horizon - SRAM Apex

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 11:48 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

and this time it is at a price level the rest of us can afford to consider.
https://www.bike-eu.com/products/3887...-groupset.html
https://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...-groupset.html

"The Apex has a remarkable broad gear ratio, as it is available in a compact road gear combination 50/34T crank set with an 11/32T sprocket."

"And there's great news if you already have a SRAM bike and want to get lower gearing perhaps for the Etape or the Fred Whitton sportive you'll be able to use the Apex cassette and the medium arm ‘Transformer' Apex rear mech. When used with a compact crankset you'll be able to get a super low gear for steep mountain climbs."

Last edited by BluesDawg; 02-16-10 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-16-10, 11:59 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a nice combo. I would think it would be a good option for many who aren't racer wannabes. Hopefully it will sell well.
Old 02-16-10, 12:05 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

I would hope that this will prompt Shimano to finally release a 10 speed cassette with 32 or 34 teeth so Shimano users can get the same gearing option without having to either stay with a 9 speed setup, get a custom 10 speed cassette, or switch to SRAM components.
Old 02-16-10, 01:03 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
The Apex combines Red and the MTB "XX" group.

I hope the prices are more reasonable.

For now I'll make do with a triple.
Old 02-16-10, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I would hope that this will prompt Shimano to finally release a 10 speed cassette with 32 or 34 teeth so Shimano users can get the same gearing option without having to either stay with a 9 speed setup, get a custom 10 speed cassette, or switch to SRAM components.
+1 on that. It would be grand if Shimano did this!
Old 02-16-10, 01:17 PM
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't get too excited yet - a quick Google search shows various sites saying October 2010 is when it's available. SIGH.
Old 02-16-10, 01:23 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have found that for really steep long slopes I do need that 1 to 1 lowest gear ratio. Even with a compact with a 34 on it- I cannot get close to that on 10 speed Shimano.The IRC 10 speeed 11/34 is not as good as I hoped so that is out for me. That is why I bought a triple but 11/32 would be nice. 34 would be better. This is why I have a 9speed in my stable. Just so that I can fit the MTB cassette on to save me having to train all year to get fot enough for the mountains.

Only downside I can see would be the wide ratios not making it that comfortable for a flatter ride. Not that it matters much as when the hills come in- I only use one gear---The lowest.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-16-10, 03:00 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the information BluesDawg! That looks like a responsible way for me to add to the climbing ability of my SRAM Force equipped GT- Ti.

It has a compact now, and an 11-28, but sometimes that's still not low enough (like sustained 12%!).

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-16-10, 03:32 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Barrettscv

It is supposed to be priced similar to 105.
Old 02-16-10, 04:55 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I'll stick with 9. The last road bike that I sold was an 11/34 on a compact double. The one under construction now which does not need the go fast gear (designed for vacation riding with the wife) is an 11/32 on a 32. The prices are excellent....
Old 02-16-10, 07:44 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
That looks just like my setup! I do love my 11-32 on steep hills.
Old 02-16-10, 09:36 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for this info. I was looking at the SRAM XX setup last year but it's very, very pricey. This looks like a really good option.
Old 02-16-10, 10:02 PM
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Complete group is $799

Here's the brochure I got today about Apex:

https://www.coveredbridgecyclery.com/.../SRAM_APEX.pdf
Old 02-16-10, 10:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IRD - Interloc Racing Design already has this covered. 10 speed Shimano, even 11 speed Campy. All you need is a long cage rear der., maybe a longer chain and the cassette. No need for a compact front crank but it can't hurt. https://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_steel.html This has got to be cheaper than an entire groupset.

These often pop up on ebay and are reasonable.
Old 02-16-10, 10:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IRD - Interloc Racing Design already has this covered. 10 speed Shimano, even 11 speed Campy. All you need is a long cage rear der., maybe a longer chain and the cassette. No need for a compact front crank but it can't hurt. https://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_steel.html This has got to be cheaper than an entire groupset.

Old 02-16-10, 10:26 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I have a 92 Paramount OS that is currently being built up. I had an R700 34/50 compact crank installed. For the last month I've been going back and forth on 9 versus 10 speed. I have an Ultegra 6500 front D/R and an XT rear D/R, but can't seem to decide on 9 speed or 10 for the shifters and cassette.

I had a chance to buy a SRAM XX 11-32, for $216 last week, new, on EBay, but passed it up. Duh!

I'm not sure what my knees were thinking when I put the compact crank on the bike.

Pics will follow at a later date.
Old 02-17-10, 12:01 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by oilman_15106

Certainly an option, but many people have reported less than satisfactory shifting quality when using this cassette. That is why I said I hope Shimano will go ahead and release a wide range 10 speed cassette.

The SRAM Apex option would be most appealing to someone already running a SRAM drivetrain who might go for the RD and cassette to get lower gearing or someone doing a new build or upgrade.
Old 02-17-10, 12:52 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Certainly an option, but many people have reported less than satisfactory shifting quality when using this cassette. That is why I said I hope Shimano will go ahead and release a wide range 10 speed cassette.

The SRAM Apex option would be most appealing to someone already running a SRAM drivetrain who might go for the RD and cassette to get lower gearing or someone doing a new build or upgrade.
Have to agree about that IRD cassette. It does not change smoothly and the jump from 28 to the 32/34 is large. Once you are in that gear- particularly the 34 version- you are in it. And at $160 it is not cheap.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-17-10, 05:46 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Have to agree about that IRD cassette. It does not change smoothly and the jump from 28 to the 32/34 is large. Once you are in that gear- particularly the 34 version- you are in it. And at $160 it is not cheap.
My plan - as was suggested to me last year here is to purchase a 26 chain ring to swap out my 30 on the triple, and easy swap and with my long cage DR I will be set. I can easily swap it back when the ride is over but since it is so rare I am at the bottom I might just leave it there for the occasional grunt.
Old 02-17-10, 07:44 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks BluesDawg, I was just thinking about last week. I couldn't make west Texas last year, but hope to make it this year and that would help me a bunch. I was just thinking of taking the Roubaix, but I'll be needing a new cassette by then and I was wondering which way to go. I have been reading where people were having a problem with the noise of the Sram set, but now that I've been using it for a while it doesn't seem that noisy to me. I just ordered a KMC chain, because they say that last longer and is quieter, but haven't tried it yet. Anyhow thanks for the tip.
Old 02-17-10, 08:40 AM
just keep riding

Come to think of it, the new SRAM cassette should be compatible with Shimano drivetrains as well.
Old 02-17-10, 02:16 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Come to think of it, the new SRAM cassette should be compatible with Shimano drivetrains as well.
yep, it shouldl be. I'm running a SRAM cassette with my 10 Ultegra and it works fine.
Old 02-17-10, 02:45 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
yep, it shouldl be. I'm running a SRAM cassette with my 10 Ultegra and it works fine.
You will need a MTB RD, the max capacity on the road RD is 28t.
Old 02-17-10, 03:23 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've actually run a 34 - 32 with the standard Ultegra RD. I know it's not susposed to work & I suspect it put some real stress on the drivechain, but it has worked. I'm currently back to the 34 -28 for my low gearing.
Old 02-17-10, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Shimano is well known for being very conservative with tooth capacities, exceeding that by a few teeth should be okay, but you have to be more accurate with chain length. Personally I wonder though, if a 10 speed rear end is really needed by the majority of riders. I find I spend enough time fiddling with getting 8 speed shifting working right, doesn't seem to go a month without needing adjustment. Something that I never did in the 5 years I had 10 speeds total and friction down tube shifters. Heck I adjusted it when I brought the bike inside and put it on the trainer, haven't put 500km on it and it's off again now....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.