Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Any trikers out there? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/628667-any-trikers-out-there.html)

tandempair 03-15-10 07:53 AM

Any trikers out there?

DH and I ride a tandem terra trike, quite the beast, at 10 ft. in length. We aren't out to set any speed records, we like the views of nature it gives us, and riding in comfort is nice too. We go up hills slower than a slug, the downhill is great, we get some good speed going down. DH is blind, we tried a diamond frame tandem, but my small stature made it too hard for me to captain, so we switched to the trike. We bike a lot more now.

Cone Wrench 03-15-10 08:12 AM

How is the cornering on a tandem trike?

Retro Grouch 03-15-10 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cone Wrench (Post 10527619)

I'd think pretty good because Terra Trike has such a low center of gravity. It's similar in design, at about 1/2 the cost, to a Greenspeed. I'm thinking that bigger issues would be transporting it by car and getting on and off of it.

tandempair 03-15-10 04:36 PM

Interesting, tricky, and entertaining. Frustrating sometimes, but not that often. I try to think ahead, that helps. We have yet to take on a bike trail with the barriers on it, but will, when we bike with the grandkids. There will be no getting around those buggers, we'll have to pick up the trike and lift it over one of those, they can be as frequent as 1 per mile. I'm glad we do mostly rural riding. Did our first ride of the season today, 14 wonderful miles.

DnvrFox 03-15-10 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tandempair (Post 10527545)
DH and I ride a tandem terra trike, quite the beast, at 10 ft. in length. We aren't out to set any speed records, we like the views of nature it gives us, and riding in comfort is nice too. We go up hills slower than a slug, the downhill is great, we get some good speed going down. DH is blind, we tried a diamond frame tandem, but my small stature made it too hard for me to captain, so we switched to the trike. We bike a lot more now.

I'm not a Triker, but that is a great post. My son rides a 3 wheeler.

stapfam 03-16-10 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cone Wrench (Post 10527619)

It goes round them---FAST---. I had a ride on one once and it was fantastic. Got a bit worried at the bottom of a long downhill with a corner at the bottom though. The height the inside wheel was reaching above the ground was disconcerting. All the pilot told me to do though- was "Look the other way"

Pics of the trike required PLEASE

Trsnrtr 03-16-10 12:21 PM

I own two trikes, a Catrike Speed and a 700. My wife also owns a 700. They are not our primary rides but we do ride them about 15-25% of the time, me more than her.

We just got back from Winter Garden, FL where we attended the Catrike Spring Rally with 125 other trikers. It was a great time. My wife and I rode 135 miles that week on trikes.

dancingbear1127 03-16-10 02:48 PM

I acquired my ICE Q last May and am closing the deal on a very lightly used Greenspeed GTS so my wife can accompany me on my prowls arround western Oregon

tandempair 03-16-10 07:36 PM

The Tandem Terra trike breaks down for easy transport, since DH can't see to line up the couplers when we need to reassemble it, it is kind of tricky for us to put back together sometimes, we recently bought a trailer we will use to get the trike and the grandkids bikes back and forth to the trails. It's fun to ride, clipless pedals are a must, we're to close to the ground to have a foot slip off one of the pedals.

tandempair 03-16-10 07:39 PM

I will post a pic later this week.