Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do something for a new bike shop

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is a new bike shop opening in Waxhaw, North Carolina called The Bike Depot. The owners are great bike guys. You could do one thing to help them get off to a good start. If you are on Facebook, sign up to become their Friend. That's all, they just want to get as many friends as possible before their official grand opening on Mar 20. their Facebook address is:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Waxhaw...W/293243163252

Let's just show them that there is a community of cyclists out there who appreciate a new bike shop where it is needed.

I have no vested (or monetary) interest in this operation. Just a place where the (free) coffee is always hot and the folks are always friendly.
Old 03-19-10, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck to them. You know the way to get a million dollars in the bicycle business is to start with 2 million.
Old 03-19-10, 02:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really want them to succeed, but I hate Face book.
Old 03-19-10, 05:37 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Hope they get to do a lot of 'wheeling and dealing'!
Hey, free coffee?
Next time we are down south again, we'll have to stop by . . .
Good luck guys!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Tucson, Arizona
Old 03-19-10, 06:15 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Is it run by insecure teenagers? "Why don't more people Friend me?"
Old 03-19-10, 06:23 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
Is it run by insecure teenagers? "Why don't more people Friend me?"
Your showing your age.
Old 03-19-10, 09:07 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I am one of their 569 fans now. I avoided Facebook for a long time, but now that I'm on it, I enjoy it. The best thing about it is reconnecting with old friends and classmates who I have not seen in many years. I also find a lot of great information about things I am interested in. Once you learn to block all the stupid games and applications, it's not bad at all.
Old 03-22-10, 01:11 PM

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I am one of their 569 fans now. I avoided Facebook for a long time, but now that I'm on it, I enjoy it. The best thing about it is reconnecting with old friends and classmates who I have not seen in many years. I also find a lot of great information about things I am interested in. Once you learn to block all the stupid games and applications, it's not bad at all.
Can I avoid seeing that someone has successfully bred a new farm animal, or fed their fish, or picked up a heart? I enjoy staying in touch, but I hate seeing this crap. I have a few friends that clog my updates with farm animal breeding, fish feeding, heart bleeding news..... very annoying. If I can block this nonsense, I'd be much happier. Also don't care who beat who's score when playing a game.
Old 03-22-10, 05:20 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kojak
Can I avoid seeing that someone has successfully bred a new farm animal, or fed their fish, or picked up a heart? I enjoy staying in touch, but I hate seeing this crap. I have a few friends that clog my updates with farm animal breeding, fish feeding, heart bleeding news..... very annoying. If I can block this nonsense, I'd be much happier. Also don't care who beat who's score when playing a game.
The games can be fun, they do sometimes put way to much crap on your wall, but that's to try to get new players, people can be selective about what they post, I limit mine to those items where people who play the game can get a bonus of some kind. I think some people spend about 25 hours a day playing Facebook games though.....

Facebook can be a scary place though, I found a group of people from my public school, and it left me wondering, who are all these old people? People with names that I remember, but grey hair, yapping at each other about grandkids and medical problems. You find out that the teacher you didn't like has been dead for 10 years and the cute young woman teacher you had a crush on, was the little old lady you saw on the street corner the other day....
Old 03-22-10, 08:25 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Kojak
Yes you can and I surely have. You can't prevent ever seeing any of them, but whenever you get a post from an application like Farmville, to the right of the title is a button to block. You get the choice of blocking the application or blocking the friend. Blocking the application will stop anyone's messages from the application from showing up on your page. I have blocked a few friends who were constantly posting nonsense. Also, when you get an invitation to join one of the games, you can block the application.