Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Helmet selection thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 12:11 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

It's been a few years since I purchased a new helmet. What should I consider? Most helmets fit me well enough, but besides weight, safety and cost, does anything else matter?

Any good-value suggestions?

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-02-10, 03:09 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't think you can get them over there- but MET helmets are fantastic--for value- comfort and lightness.

My LBS hates me going helmet shopping.

I always feel that I pay too much for helmets so I start at the lower end of the price range and work my way through the stock till I find something I want to wear. Then it is down to colour and as they have 3 in the right size and colour I want- I try on all 3 of them. One always seems to fit better than the others.

But Main rule for me is fit. If it isn't comfy- I won't wear it.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-02-10, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Fit is most important to me as well. Beyond that, I prefer to have a helmet with a carbon fiber weave as most are tolerant to more than one impact. (not more than one accident)

I currently use a Specialized S-Works and a Giro Ionos. Both work well and have plenty of ventilation. The Ionos seems a bit noisier though.
Old 04-02-10, 04:01 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
I currently use a Specialized S-Works and a Giro Ionos. Both work well and have plenty of ventilation. The Ionos seems a bit noisier though.
Huh. I have a Specialized Decibel and a Giro Ionos. I think the Specialized makes more wind noise in my ears.

Anyway, as Stapfam says, it comes down to fit. Helmets are one of those things I'll only buy at the LBS so that I can try them on. I sweat *a lot* from the head, so for me, ventilation ranks a very close second to fit. After that is weight, then color (it must be white) and at the very bottom of my list is cost.

A cheap helmet that's heavy, sweaty and uncomfortable is no bargain at all.
Old 04-02-10, 04:03 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've always had Giro helmets and thought they were great. Last summer I stumbled across Lazer helmets (O2 model). All I can say is it fits SO MUCH better than the Giro helmets.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-02-10, 04:08 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Liking my Bell Metro. Good fit and ease of adjusting the fit are important.
Old 04-02-10, 04:10 PM
commuter and barbarian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
It's been a few years since I purchased a new helmet. What should I consider? Most helmets fit me well enough, but besides weight, safety and cost, does anything else matter?

Any good-value suggestions?

Michael
Michael,
Just out of curiosity, why do you need a new helmet?
Wondering 'cause mine is more than a few years old and I haven't thought of getting a new one.
Old 04-02-10, 04:43 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
Michael,
Just out of curiosity, why do you need a new helmet?
Wondering 'cause mine is more than a few years old and I haven't thought of getting a new one.
The plastics used in helmets, can age and not work as well as a new helmet. At least that's what the manufacturers, distributors and retailers of helmets want us to believe. They say you should replace a helmet that is more then a couple of years old.

Probably a better argument for replacing a helmet that hasn't seen a crash, is that the fit adjustment technology changes over time, better placement of vents, more vents, and even if it hasn't seen a crash, most look a little shabby after a lot of use. Biggest argument though, helmets are not that easy to clean properly, they see a lot of sweat and oil, both of which can see some bacterial and/or mould growth. Was looking at mine today, figuring that this is probably the last season for it. Helmets that have been involved in a crash, where the head is involved, should be replaced, regardless of whether they have visible damage or not.
Old 04-02-10, 05:03 PM
Retro-guy

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Super Record

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a modestly-priced Bell Helmet that I like a lot. I think I have heard that Bell and Giro are basically the same company, but that their respective helmets are shaped a bit differently. As I recall it, Bell's tend to be better if your head is sort of oblong (or narrow), with the forehead-to-back-of-head distance being quite a bit larger than the ear-to-ear distance. Whereas Giro helmets favor a somewhat rounder head. The adjustment mechanisms of both brands are very similar to each other, as is the general sizing.

Since all helmets sold in the US have to meet the same crash standard, the only real advantage of paying more for a helmet is to get better style, as well as some modest amount of weight savings, and perhaps better ventilation.

That said, I think it makes sense to avoid the very cheapest, "one-size-fits-all" helmets, and pay enough to get a model that comes in 2 or 3 shell sizes (with adjustments of course).

Last edited by rschleicher; 04-02-10 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 07:11 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm also starting to look at a new helmet. A criteria not mentioned is does it have a flat surface for a helmet mirror mount? I can't use glass mirrors and helmet works better than handlebar or no mirror
Old 04-02-10, 08:41 PM

Bikes: Colnago C50

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
1) If you ride early in the morning or in the evening, consider a helmet with a visor. Your eyes will appreciate it.

2) Able to make one hand tension adjustments on the fly

I like the Giro Pneumo
Old 04-02-10, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lazer Genesis is the best helmet on the planet. But buy the one that fits your dome the best.
Old 04-03-10, 12:42 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rschleicher
As I recall it, Bell's tend to be better if your head is sort of oblong (or narrow), with the forehead-to-back-of-head distance being quite a bit larger than the ear-to-ear distance. Whereas Giro helmets favor a somewhat rounder head. The adjustment mechanisms of both brands are very similar to each other, as is the general sizing.
My experience is that you have it backwards. I have a roundish head, so the Bells fit quite well. Giros tend to pinch the side of my head and leave too much room front and back. Specialized tend to fit like Giros.

The cheaper helmets used to have a gap between the foam and the thin plastic shell. Over time this would cause bits of the thin plastic to flake off, making the helmet look quite ratty, but it would likely be time to buy a new helmet anyway. Nowadays, it appears that all helmets use the "in-mold" construction, where the thin plastic is bonded directly to the foam, so the exterior never flakes off. The problem is, the helmet still looks like it's in good shape, so you keep wearing it. I wear a 5-year-old Bell Ghisallo during the winter, but I should probably ditch it and start wearing the other top Bell model I've got (I forget what it's called, but it cost about $200 here in Canada - my gf bought it for me for Christmas a few years back and was surprised at how expensive it was!).

L.
Old 04-03-10, 04:19 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
What I don't understand is the price differentials? What make a $200 Giro better than a $150 Giro? I've used a variety of helmets and they don't seem all that different to me.
Old 04-03-10, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Lazer Genesis is the best helmet on the planet. But buy the one that fits your dome the best.
Fine helmets, but that is a big claim. I am sure Lazer is hoping to sell Heliums as their best.
Old 04-03-10, 06:03 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
LOTS OF INFO HERE, JUST A SAMPLE BELOW

https://www.bhsi.org/

When to replace a helmet

Summary:
Did you crash it? Replace!

Did you drop it hard enough to crack the foam? Replace.

Is it from the 1970's? Replace.

Is the outside just foam or cloth instead of plastic? Replace.

Does it lack a CPSC, ASTM or Snell sticker? Replace.

Can you not adjust it to fit correctly? Replace!!

Do you hate it? Replace.

Did you crash in it?

For starters, most people are aware that you must replace a helmet after any crash where your head hit. The foam part of a helmet is made for one-time use, and after crushing once it is no longer as protective as it was, even if it still looks intact. Bear in mind that if the helmet did its job most people would tell you that they did not even hit their head, or did not hit their head that hard. And the thin shells on most helmets now tend to hide any dents in the foam. But if you can see marks on the shell or measure any foam crush at all, replace the helmet. (Helmets made of EPP foam do recover, but there are few EPP helmets on the market. Yours is EPS or EPU unless otherwise labeled.)

You can also crack the helmet foam or damage it by dropping the helmet on a hard surface. The cracks may be small and hard to see, so you need to look carefully. Cracks in the foam always require replacement of the helmet.

You may be reluctant to replace a helmet that looks almost as good as new, but if you did hit, you don't want to take chances on where you will hit next time. If the foam is cracked under the thin shell, it will be more likely to fly apart in your next crash. Many manufacturers will replace crashed helmets for a nominal fee, and most will also inspect crashed helmets to see if they need replacement. Call them if you are in doubt. For contact info check our list of manufacturers. (You can also ask them if they think the advice on this page is valid!}
Is it from the 70's?

If you still have a helmet from the 70's without a styrofoam liner, replace it immediately. That would include the Skidlid (with spongy foam), 1970's Pro-tec (spongy foam), Brancale (no foam) and all leather "hairnets." They just did not have the protection of helmets made after 1984 when the ANSI standard swept the junk off the market.

The better 1970's helmets were reasonably good ones, but were not quite up to current standards. It is probably time to replace that old Bell Biker, Bailen, MSR, Supergo or similar model from the 70's or early 80's. (We have a page up on replacing the Bell Biker.) The hard shells were great, but the foam liners were not thick enough to meet today's ASTM or Snell standard. The Bell V-1 Pro was designed to today's standards, but the foam is very stiff, and if you are over 65 you probably should replace that too. If you have one of the 1980's all-foam helmets with perhaps a cloth cover, we would recommend replacing that one. Lab tests showed some years ago that bare foam doesn't skid well on pavement, and could jerk your neck in a crash. The cloth doesn't help much. In addition, some of them had no internal reinforcing, and they tend to break up in a crash. That's not serious if you just fall, but if you are hit by a car the helmet can fly apart in the initial contact and leave you bare-headed for the crack on the pavement.
Is it newer? With what standards sticker inside?

Newer helmets from the late 1980's and the 90's may or may not need replacement. First look to see what standards sticker is inside. If it's ASTM or Snell, the helmet was designed to meet today's standards for impact protection, and you may even find that Consumer Reports tested it in one of their articles. Most manufacturers now recommend that helmets be replaced after five years, but some of that may be just marketing. (Bell now recommends every three years, which seems to us too short. They base it partially on updating your helmet technology, but they have not been improving their helmets that much over three year periods, and we consider some of their helmets since the late 1990's to be a step backwards, so we would take that with a grain of salt.) Deterioration depends on usage, care, and abuse. But if you ride thousands of miles every year, five years may be a realistic estimate of helmet life. And helmets have actually been improving enough over time to make it a reasonable bet that you can find a better one than you did five years ago. It may fit better, look better, and in some cases may even be more protective. For an alternate view that agrees with the manufacturers, check out the helmet FAQ of the Snell Foundation. Snell knows a lot about helmets and their views on this subject should not be dismissed lightly, even though we disagree with them.

Occasionally somebody spreads rumors that sweat and ultraviolet (UV) exposure will cause your helmet to degrade. Sweat will not do that. The standards do not permit manufacturers to make a helmet that degrades from sweat, and the EPS, EPP or EPU foam is remarkably unaffected by salt water. Your helmet will get a terminal case of grunge before it dies of sweat. Sunlight can affect the strength of the shell material, though. Since helmets spend a lot of time in the sun, manufacturers usually put UV inhibitors in the plastic for their shells that control UV degradation. If your helmet is fading or showing small cracks around the vents, the UV inhibitors may be failing, so you probably should replace it. Chances are it has seen an awful lot of sun to have that happen. Otherwise, try another brand next time and let us know what brand faded on you.

At least one shop told a customer that the EPS in his three year old helmet was now "dried out." Other sales people refer to "outgassing" and say that the foam loses gas and impact performance is affected. Still others claim that helmets lose a percentage of their effectiveness each year, with the percentage growing with age. All of that is nothing but marketing hype to sell a replacement helmet before you need it. There is some loss of aromatics in the first hours and days after molding, and helmet designers take account of that for standards testing. But after that the foam stabilizes and does not change for many years, unless the EPS is placed in an oven for some period of time and baked. The interior of your car, for example, will not do that, based on helmets we have seen and at least one lab crash test of a helmet always kept in a car in Virginia over many summers. Helmet shells can be affected by car heat, but not the foam. The Snell Memorial Foundation has tested motorcycle helmets held in storage for more than 20 years and found that they still meet the original standard. EPS is a long-lived material little affected by normal environmental factors. Unless you mistreat it we would not expect it to "dry out" enough to alter its performance for many years.

An honest manufacturer: MET

The Italian company MET says in their 2010 catalog:

"We are often asked 'For how long is a helmet safe?', or 'how often should I replace my helmet?”' Until now it has been difficult to find any reliable figures to help answer these queries. MET have now developed a series of tests which are conducted on aged helmets to determine a 'best before' date (unless the helmet is involved in an accident. In that case it should be replaced immediately.). The results indicate that, if used properly accordingly to our owner manual, our helmets will still do their job up to eight years after they have been made. Not only is that good news for the customer, it’s great news for the environment!"

We applaud MET for undertaking an actual testing program on helmet life and for making that statement. We regard it as a triumph of integrity over marketing. MET's helmets are made with industry standard shells and liners, so there is no reason we can see that their recommendation should not be good for many other helmet brands as well. If another manufacturer comes up with a testing program that shows earlier deterioration in the protection from their products we will review this page.

In sum, we don't find the case for replacing a helmet that meets the ASTM or Snell standards that compelling if the helmet is still in good shape and fits you well.
Are you using it for non-bicycle activities?

Since 2003 helmets have been available that are actually certified to skateboard or ski standards as well as the CPSC bicycle helmet standard. If you are using a bicycle helmet for skateboarding or any other sport where you crash regularly, see our writeup on helmets for the current season for more info on that. Otherwise, we would recommend buying another helmet designed for the activity you are pursuing, whether or not you replace your bike helmet. We have more on that subject on our page on other helmets. Note that most "skate-style" helmets currently on the market are actually bicycle helmets certified only to the CPSC bicycle helmet standard. They have CPSC stickers inside, but no ASTM Skateboard standard sticker.
Do you still like wearing it?

Your helmet is of course a piece of wearing apparel as well as a safety appliance. If you consider yourself a stylish rider and your helmet is not as spiffy as the new ones, go for it. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good, and if you do, fashion is a valid reason to replace a helmet.

Is it a better helmet than the ones available today?

As new styles have become more "squared-off" and designers have begun adding unnecessary ridges and projections that may increase the sliding resistance of a helmet shell, there is good reason to stay with one of the more rounded designs of the early to mid 90's. Those round, smooth shells like the original Bell Image that Consumer Reports rated highly in 1993 are more optimal for crashing than some of the newer designs. So think twice about "moving up," and look for a rounded, smooth-shelled design when you do. We have a lot of info on the new ones up on our page on helmets for the current season.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-03-10 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-03-10, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by bruce19
What I don't understand is the price differentials? What make a $200 Giro better than a $150 Giro? I've used a variety of helmets and they don't seem all that different to me.
The construction. Top end helmets employ a carbon fiber weave for multiple impacts and dual density foams to lighten the weight. Just like bikes, as you go down in dollars, you make compromises.
Old 04-03-10, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
My Bell Paradox from Oct 200 has removable inserts, so you can throw them in the wash along with the pants and jersey you rode in. Do other helmets have that? It seems an easier way to clean than washing the entire helmet.
Old 04-03-10, 06:48 AM
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Michael,

Thanks for the thread. And to those who made suggestions/provided info, thanks also.

I've heard that helmets should be replaced every couple of years, but I always suspected it was marketing driven.

Guess I should look into it. I like the notion of removing inserts to wash them, as Univega mentions.

+1 on the visor -- handy when you are riding into rain or sleet, too.
Old 04-03-10, 06:50 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A review of 2010 helmets

https://www.bhsi.org/helmet10.htm
Old 04-03-10, 06:57 AM

Bikes: 2009 Downtube FS8, 1970 Raleigh Gran Prix, 2009 Citizen Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the imput, all. I could use a new helmet myself. Funny, I only wear mine when I'm on my road bike. Maybe it's because I sit so much higher up, compared to my position on my folders. I need to wear my helmet every time I ride.
Old 04-03-10, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Thanks, Denver.

That all makes as much sense to me as anything I have ever read regarding bicycle helmets. I've got a couple of helmets that are over a decade old. I'm thinking I'll keep using them for another year or so.
Old 04-03-10, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
A review of 2010 helmets

https://www.bhsi.org/helmet10.htm
Thx Dnvr. Good info.
Old 04-03-10, 12:53 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I like everything about the Giro Xen except the price. It does fit my roundish head extremely well, and it provides great coverage and a clean skidding/sliding profile.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-03-10, 01:00 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Recently, my LBS offered to replace my crashed helmet (last month) at half price for anything in the shop.

I even tried on $200 + helmets, figuring that would be my only chance to buy a helmet that expensive, at a reasonable cost.

I ended up buying a $40 Specialized Helmet for $20 - because it fit the best. I can't even tell it is sitting on my head.

Try, before you buy.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.