Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/63378-special-thread-50-yo-bicyclists.html)

Burr 03-28-12 10:05 PM

Welcome Guys, glad you are here. Please post with pictures.

Enjoy

Mort Canard 04-09-12 07:08 PM

Please tell us your age. 56 as of this post.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

1993 Daimondback Topanga Mountainbike that I turned into a crossover with commuter tires and a bunch of farkles.

1976 Gazelle Champion Mondiale road bike frame that I have hung a lot of different components on over the years.

N+1 Hopefully coming soon!

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Single Malt Scotch or Irish Whiskey :love:

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

More than I care to admit!:p

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I bicycled through most of the 1970s and early 1980s, then discovered motorcycles. They go much faster. :D About five years ago I got back on the bicycle when I decided to get in shape again. I have been increasing my annual mileage and average speed ever since.

I now ride bikes both motorized and unmotorized.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Mostly exercise and leisure rides. 10 to 30 miles I am wanting to find some rural routes that I can use to make higher mileage loops than my local MUPs.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
A few times a week for three seasons. 2011 mileage was 750 & hopefully 2012 will be more than twice that. Currently I am on pace for that goal.

Burr 04-09-12 07:46 PM

Welcome, glad you are here!!!

never2Late 04-10-12 10:38 AM

Hello everyone, I am Susan, never2Late. This is my first post...and while I fit the parameters of this forum, I certainly don't feel on the downside of 50!
I've got a dream to train toward and so much to learn. Thanks for reading...

Currently I am pedaling an almost 40 Chicago Schwinn my dear FIL picked up for me at the local Goodwill 10 years ago. Needless to say with the tune-ups and
add-ons it is a 'valuable' bike.

I am looking for a road bike that fits MY style...the N+1...I have just begun to test ride. Though I might whisper I love that celeste color....

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Just the usual range.

I don't 'see' myself slowed...compared with my 2 sons, who are young adults. I do have to be aware of a repaired right knee.

I am returning to cycling after many decades of hiking and climbing in the Pacific Northwest. While I still very much enjoy those activities,
my dream of competing in the 2013 Cycle Oregon will require much devotion, training, and miles in the saddle to complete. I am looking
forward to what I can accomplish.

Since January, I've been building up my endurance (and how can I not, pushing that 43# Schwinn around)! My longest ride
has been 28 miles...with plans to do some sponsored rides during our glorious summer months.

3 or 4 days a week. It will be fun to see where I end up at the end of 2012.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

Oh, yes, I am 58...can hardly believe it is possible!

hunterr41 04-21-12 06:43 AM

Some questions:

Please tell us your age. 70

Trek 1.5 but been dreaming about upgrade to all carbon bike

Centrum Sr, aspirin

no because I ride more now

25 yrs

25-50 miles

several days per week, 3000+ / yr We travel in MH about 8 months/yr so when we are on the road it is hard to find a route but make up miles when we stop for extended period.

jpoppafoxtrot 04-23-12 10:04 AM

Please tell us your age. 57

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Diamondback Wildwood ,for now-- it's too big frame wise so I have it on the trainer and am shopping.

Nope

Some. Mostly I do the same stuff but without running the reserve tank dry every day. I'm a semi retired farrier by trade and have been doing the horse/cow thing most of life, so I'm creaky and dinged up a bit but got I that "old man strength" working for me. Now I want something that stays where I park it and I don't have to feed

When I was a kid, when I was in college, when I lived near a big park and was trying to meet girls (worked great BTW), one time down a hill into a lake on a bet when I was over drinked,
and starting again now when:
I'm not, I'm not, I don't ,(yeah,sure)- , and I don't bet anymore.

Not much yet, I'll probably go about 5 a day, down to the P.O., stop at the pub for a cold one , and cruise back on home. Ride around a park with the bride on a weekend maybe. Just rollin around I figure.

ak08820 04-30-12 06:57 PM

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

I don't believe that 50+ is any special group. In my circle of friends and family, I am the most active person and I really don't feel any different yes, that when I was in late 30s. I have an almost 0 years old low end Mongoose MTB with a few thousand miles on it. I restored a Fuji Supreme form '82 and rode it yesterday for 55 miles.

No

Not much, actually I just ran a half marathon last month. Something I would not have done earlier due to the size of the task.

All my life. But, no commuting from last 30 years.

I like to do 20-50 miles. Usually 20-30 in 2-3 hours.

Being in NE, only ride in Summer, about 30-100 miles a month in Summer.
I need to have an errand to run on the bike. I fond it hard to just go out for nothing.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

Jseis 05-13-12 10:32 AM

1. Gary Fisher Wahoo & 1972 Motobecane Grand Jubilee (Super Champion wheels & Mafac cantilevers!)...a friends Colnago occasionally.
2. Diet change, less sugar, fats, more fish, poultry, fiber. I've GERD which makes diet important.
3. Don't run, other than that, still go.
4. Most of life with periods of no biking due to location, etc.
5. 3 days a week, 20-50 miles per ride.
6. Nov-Jan is weather dependent, then shoulder seasons pick up. ~1500-2000 miles per year.

toad350 05-20-12 02:42 PM

ride: Trek 7300 hybrid
no special supps,
i don't think I have slowed down since I just started a year ago,
have been riding for 9 months
i usually ride solo, on the road, 13-17 miles 3 to 4 days a week,

Safe rides!

Rwc5830 05-20-12 02:46 PM

My first year on a road bike

Hello everyone, thought I'd post for the first time. Started riding in May 2011 as a way to deal with losing my wife in August 2010 and it has been a blessing.

It's been a great way to just have a lot of fun and meet some new friends....plus I've become addicted to it.

In 1994 I had major leg and knee surgery, doctor said I would need a knee replacement within 10 years. Still got that bad knee, cycling has made it stronger. So putting that replacement off for awhile.

I live in an area where it is very windy 6-8 months of the year. 35-40 is not unusual in the spring and fall. Temps can often be in the mid 90's with humidity in the 80-90% range. But NO hills of any consequence.

Just finished my first year of riding, over 6,000 miles on the bike.

Anyway a little info about me

Happy riding everyone.

Regards,
Richard

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

I have a Fuji and just bought a specialized (both are nice)

Just vitamins

Only been riding 12 months so I've gotten faster;) Lost inches but gained 12 pounds!

1 year

road bike, goal is long rides. Did my first 200k and century last week 127 miles. A brevet or unsupported ride.

End of June have a ride that is 250 miles in two days, yes I'm crazy but already signed up!

Try to do most ride events for charity in the area, if they are too short (can't believe I said too short), we'll ride to and from the event.

6,000 in the last twelve months. Goal for this calendar year is at least 6,000.

Ride 4 days a week

jimmuller 05-20-12 05:33 PM

I just noticed this thread, thanks to someone else mentioning it. I've been poking around here since finding BF a few years ago.

Please tell us your age.
63. Well, if you must know, about 63 and half.

Vintage steel.
The youngest is a 1982 Peugeot tandem which I picked up in pieces.
The others, all solo bikes:
'72 Peugeot UO8 I bought new way back then
'73 Raleigh Gran Sport I picked up as an almost bare frame about 30 years ago
Mid-70's (unstamped) Masi Gran Criterium which I revived after it lay abused and dormant for 35 years
'89 Bianchi Brava which I built from a bare frame last year as a fun project

A balanced mix of vitamins and calcium, etc. which my sweetie has assembled. I don't ask what's innit.

None. well, not much. Have worked out almost daily for perhaps 35 years. Small things have caught up with me though. I don't run much anymore.

All my life, if you don't count the parts before maybe 8y.o.

Yes. I like 60+ on a solo bike, 40+ on the tandem. The tandem is harder. Time is hard to find though. Also I commute 25 miles/day when the weather is good.

Last year it was maybe 1500 miles, about 1000 of it commuting.

I think I did that already, but I might have forgotten. 63+ (and a half). It keeps going up.

Were you going to ask how old we are?

Edit: Memo to self - Don't try to do math while drinking beer after a long ride. Obviously an '82 bike isn't younger than an '89.

Yumadons 05-21-12 10:32 AM

Please tell us your age: 52

1990 Raleigh Technium mountain bike, 39#. Covet a Trek 520 but there's no use in it as I'm a perfect speed match with my husband touring on the Raleigh. Added perks are it's sturdy- no worries about flats or having to bail out in roadside gravel. Just blast it at a carwash to clean off mud ;)

2. Do you take any special supplements / vitamins / minerals as you have grown older?

Since ~ 45 have tried to take a daily Centrum & 81 mg aspirin but now am religious (about the supplements, agnostic here) ;) In the past few years I've added 2 Cosequin DS capsules daily (the exact same thing as Cosamin DS for people but since I'm a veterinarian, I get the Cosequin cheaper). Have taken cheapo calcium / Vit D supplements for ~ 3 years after first bone scan revealed borderline osteopenia. A year ago I changed this for Bayer's new $$$ Citrical Plus Bone Density Builder with Genistein. So we shall see if it's worth it at the next bone scan.

Same slow speed as previous bike touring in my 20's. Average 8-10 mph: 3-4 up mountain passes, maybe 14 with a tailwind. Would love to borrow a race bike just for fun to see how fast I can go! I'm probably in better shape now than I've ever been. We ride 50 mile training rides ~ twice weekly. Work days I run 3-5 ten minute miles daily.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides?

Biked as most kids in the 60's & 70's. Did a paper route by bike. Used a bike for transportation in college, didn't get a car til vet school. All secondhand random bikes. Bought a Schwinn High Sierra mountain bike for my first bike tour (Northern Tier) at age 26. North Star to Alaska at 29, then started TranAm at 32 but had to abort it due to family emergency. DH and I would get out on our same bikes sporadically over the years, not riding for years at
a time. In 2010 I got a chance to take 2 months off work every year and we started riding 25-50 miles a few times weekly to get in shape for a TransAm.
Would love to ride with others or a bike club but even their *slow group* goes 13-15 mph. Last year Yuma was named America's second fattest city and we can ride our whole 50 miles and never see another cyclist. I wore out the High Sierra and took DH's Raleigh Technium and he bought a Trek FX+ electric assist bike (he's 61 with lung lymphoma, COPD, a new hip, and 2 new knees). We did the first half of the TransAm (Oregon coast to Pueblo, CO) last summer and will go from Pueblo to the east coast this summer. No camping, all motels, fellow slow pokes welcome to join us in Pueblo Sept 1:

http://bicyclelife.topicwise.com/doc/yumadons1

nuttygrandma 05-28-12 07:40 PM

OK, I did the cheaper, an Avalon Comfort Series, all terrain bike. It wasn't the cheapest at Wal-mart since there was a Schwinn bike that was actually well under $100. This bike just felt comfortable and was only a 7-speed.

Just a multivitamin for over 60

I'm gonna say yes to slowing down but I'm still dancing circles around others my age, including my younger siblings. The only ones who see the "slowed down" are my now adult kids and it's strictly self-imposed. I'm tired of working 45+ hours a week and running off to meetings in the evenings. I'm at that stage in life where I'm choosing what I want to do - past behaviors have become unnecessary and weren't exactly fun.

This is my "second wind". I biked alot as a teenager, including biking to my friends homes, across a state line (about 15 miles away). In fact, I didn't even get a driver's license until I graduated from high school and that was because I was going to be living in a dorm during weekdays, in another city.

Short rec rides, however, when I was on my time-share week up in the VA mountains last month, there was a whole group of cyclist there for the week. Who knows, I might just take my bike with me next year and give it a try.

OK, to answer this question would be rushing things for me. I haven't biked in 11 years. Just got my bike yesterday and I've only put 2 miles on it so far. But that's 2 miles more than the past 11 years.

Hey, I'm female and I'm not suppose to tell my age but I'll make an exception as long as no one leaks this out to my kids. I keep telling them, every year, that I'm 29. Funny part is, they don't buy that answer anymore and I cringe when they guess because it's really wild. Let's see..... today, I'm 58 .... but in 13 more days, ..... I'll be 59???? Yikes!!!! Someday, I'm really gonna feel my age but not today.

i1uhbike 06-02-12 08:48 PM

1996 Specialized StumpJumper M2
1993 Specialized Epic SE

Glucosamine-Chondroitin, fish oil, Magnesium, D, B12, Folic Acid, and baby aspirin.

I have slowed down a bit, but I am far from stopping.

Started as a youngster, stopped for a few years and got back to biking again in my 30s.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Mainly I do recreational and training rides on both the mountain and road bike. However, I have ordered a new Trek road bike and plan to complete a century this year.

I try to ride two-three times a week (10 miles rides during the week and 20-30 weekend) and take a spin class when my schedule allows. No idea of annual mileage.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
I workout 6 days a week alternating aerobic and resistance days; I use a variety of things to include kettlebells, dumbbells, bosu, jungle gym, and try to take a yoga class two or three times a week.

I'm 63 years old

rmcnelly 06-07-12 12:30 PM

I'll be 52 in one week.

1. I found a late 90's Dawes Horizon Tour (531 steel british touring bike) on craiglist in mid april and thought it was light until I got a 2007 Lemond Chambery (another craigslist find) last month. Whoo Hoo, this thing is fun to ride! I'm a Fred and have outfitted it with a handlebar bag, mirror and bell. The bag and mirror are indispensible for the daily commute.

2. Old man multivitamin, cholesterol and hypertension meds, fish oil

3. Since I'm new at this, I'm speeding up!

4. Rode as a kid but never any substantial distance. Aborted attempts in my 20's to ride a road bike and a mountain bike but didn't have anyone to ride with so the desire faded quickly. Made another attempt riding a mountain bike in my 40's but it was so heavy and slow on pavement I gave it up. Started riding again in April of this year after watching my dad suffer greatly from diabetes and severe COPD with many hospitalizations. I found a couple of bikes on craigslist for me and my girlfriend and we've slowly stepped up the pace. I've got bad knees but I'm amazed at how quickly they have improved.

5. Started riding an 8 mile round trip commute (with one overpass) on good weather days with some casual rides on weekends. Found a local bike path good for a 17 mile round trip and have been able to ride it non-stop on the Lemond in 1 hour and 3 minutes when riding alone. I'm very pleased with this as I had trouble riding 2 miles when I first got the bikes. I've scouted some nice bike paths up in Williamsburg and hope to alternate this in the rotation to keep it interesting.

6. Started slowly in April, put over 200 miles down in May and hope to keep it up. I commute 5 days a week on nice days and try to ride a longer 17 mile route each weekend, sometimes both Sat and Sun.

7. Was kayaking every weekend for a few years 'till I managed to hurt my feet. Paddled some last year but hardly any this year. otherwise I'm a couch potato.

My girlfriend is a Cougar and the bike riding helps her too. Unfortunately she can't ride daily as I have and her fitness hasn't improved as quickly. So my rides with her are at a more casual pace.

crowls 06-18-12 09:45 AM

Misplaced Aussie! With a gut?

Microsoft Raleigh 6.0 I picked up in Johannesburg a couple of years ago.
New motobegane MTB that I am taking to Ghana (Where I work every 2nd month)

Not really, I do have some multivits in the cabinet but never seem to remember to take them.

Absolutely heaps. I was active from day 1 as a kid, then played competitive football till 36 and masters squash till mid 40's. last couple of years I have been slack. Rode in the 94.7 (km) in Joburg back in 2009 and did it in 4hrs. In my younger days would have been low 3hrs.

Got my first bike (2nd hand) when I was 11. Started doing a paperround at 5am in the morning 6 days a week as well as road to school and everywhere else. Fixed gears and drum brakes. Don't know how I got up the hills but I seemed to. Nowadays, I keep looking for the granny gear. Rode a 8km hill at 8% when getting ready for the 94.7 and found I could barely hold 55-60rpm and 7-8kph up the hill. Made it though, motivated as I left my car at the top of the hills.

At the moment only short 10-15km rides as I am getting back into it. I ride in the Highlands Ranch area of Denver and it is all rolling, the inclines though not steep kill me. i am getting a kinetic trainer for Ghana and plan on riding a mix of intervals and tempo rides to get my weight down and aerobic base up. In planning with a mate to go the TDF in 2013 and stay at Alp D'uez. Ride the Alp and Colombier and some others.

last year was next to nothing, maybe a couple of 100. This year I am aiming for 3000-4000km

I turned 53 in May this year and I am feeling it more than ever. 220lb and aiming to get back to low 180's within 6-12 months.

crowls 06-18-12 09:51 AM

RWC5830,

Sorry to hear about your wife and lots of praise for getting into cycling again. A great lifestyle choice for physical and mental health. Your impressive 6000 miles gives me courage as I start ramping up my frequency and milage. how long did you take for the 200km. Was it a flat track or rolling? Keep up the good work.
Crowls

crowls 06-18-12 10:21 AM

hi Nutty,
great story, 50's are the new 40's except someone forgot to tell me I still need to do the work. Great idea to take your bike on your holiday, keep looking for any excuse to ride it. Errand to the shops, drop off mail, get some sun, feel the breeze. Good to see that you are taking some time for yourself also after putting it at work and family for so long. Keep up the good work. great start!!

crowls 06-18-12 10:26 AM

Yumadums,
Awesome background and story. us males don't pay much attention to bone density, though my wife and her mum both have issues that require regular supplements and in my wifes case me on her back getting her to do weights.
Love the first half of the transam from Portland to Pueblo? How long did this take? Did you have many other "slow pokes" to ride with and share.

Keep up the good work

DnvrFox 06-18-12 01:19 PM

Welcome to all the new posters in this thread.

Enjoy the 50+ forum.

Yumadons 06-18-12 10:20 PM

Thanks Crowls. We took 2 months to ride the western half of the TransAm & will start Sept 1 in Pueblo, arriving in Hilton Head Oct 19. So far no fellow slow pokes but it seems to be a big bucket list item and there are probably people out there who want to do it but not alone. We ended up riding thru 3 states with James, a fellow tourer from New Jersey we met along the way and had lots of fun together. So I thought I'd throw it out there. Will re-start the journal when we're back on the road again . . .

silvercreek 06-21-12 04:19 PM

This is more my speed. I'm turning 66 years old this Saturday.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...6200001_01.jpg

DnvrFox 06-21-12 04:56 PM

Welcome.

I am 72 and ride

http://www.ourwebs.info/dadbike1.jpg

Mike Kimball 06-24-12 07:23 AM

I just turned 51 on Friday. I have been riding 175-200 miles for eight years and loving every minute.

qcpmsame 06-24-12 09:22 AM

Welcome Mike, where are you located in Florida? I am in Pensacola, up in the far NW corner, close to the Alabama border. Be sure to post up pictures of you bicycle:thumb:, let us know what kind of PIE you have after your rides:lol::lol: and schedule you colonoscopy:rolleyes:

Bill