Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 01-20-19, 06:41 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6181 Post(s)
Fwiw,

Please tell us your age.
(67 I was in my 2nd year in US Navy, Nuke Missile Sub)

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Winter, rain, Bike Friday Pocket Llama (IGH Disc brakes) I have others.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Glaucoma .. prescription eye drops

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
speed modest , time in the saddle less ..

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
as a boy my favorite swimming place was a 12 mile ride away.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
1997, my 50th year, I toured Ireland and Scotland, 91, behind the former Iron Curtain starting from AMS..
Now I hardly leave town

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Daily to go places, how far no clue..

97 was the last time I put a battery in my touring bike's computer

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-20-19 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 03:08 PM
asilversun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! I'm 52, and just getting (back) into biking. These forums are a great resource, so thank you!

I currently own a Bridgestone XO3, but I'm also currently shopping for something that might be a little more comfortable!

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Iron supplements.

I do feel like certain things are getting a bit harder... I'm a runner, but that's taking a toll, which is why I'm moving toward cycling. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's kinder on my body (if not my wallet!).

I used to ride a lot in my 20s, but I'd call myself a newbie now. It's been a while!

Short rec rides.

Not even worth mentioning!
Old 03-15-19, 07:59 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Haven't yet done this so here goes:

Please tell us your age.

Daily: 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, Travel and Bad Weather Bike: 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, Dirt/MTB 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe

Idiopathic CHF diagnosed Nov. 1 2011
Ejection Fraction at 15-20 % currently 20-25 %
Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) implanted Dec. 3 2013 ICD
Carvedilol 2Xday, Lisinopril, Furosemide

Currently riding less than a few years ago down from average of 40 miles/day to 25-30/ day. But have added walking 3-9 miles/day to the routine

During childhood like most. Picked up again during college in the late 60’s and riding ever since.

My wife and I live near the Withlacoochee State Trail, a paved 46 mile rail trail in North Central Florida. But spend the summer months traveling in our motorhome to ride all throughout New England and Atlantic Canada.

Our best year 2017 was a little over 12k miles. Normally we ride daily between 10 and 5o miles/day (weather dependent of course) and average between 8K and 10K miles/year
Old 03-20-19, 10:06 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Super Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1983 Nishiki Cresta

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
I hadn't noticed this thread before. Don't know why...it's sitting there at the top of the page.

Please tell us your age.

Most rides (centuries, weekends, etc): 1981 Ron Cooper - only bike I've ever bought brand new
Commuter: 1986 Miyata 710
Weekend rider for less-hilly rides: 1974 Cinelli Special Corsa
Mountain Bike: 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1

I tried a "modern" bike for a while (Trek aluminum with drifters, index shifting, etc) which had some nice conveniences but didn't ride as nicely as my vintage bikes so I got rid of it. I guess I'm just a vintage curmudgeon. I do enjoy beating my younger riding partners with their ridiculously light carbon bikes.

Nope

I've slowed down since my 20s, but sped up since my 50s. Last year I rode the 130 mile 15,000 ft Markleeville Deathride and climbed Mount Whitney. This year I'm signed up for the Davis Double Century among other things. I'm regularly pulling PRs on Strava. I know this can't go on forever but I'm working on continuous fitness improvement to stave off the ravages of old age.

Got my first bike at age 9. Delivered papers in my teens. Got into biking seriously at about age 20 and have done it continuously since (though reduced effort during the child raising years).

All of the above. I frequently do 50 to 70 mile weekend rides, commute to work fairly regularly, ride centuries (and coming up a double century), and would like to get back into touring, which I haven't done for several decades.

About 3 to 5 times a week. About 5000 miles per year. Hopefully I can retire soon and ramp that number up.
Old 03-21-19, 11:21 AM
boomerbicyclist

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Bianchi Nuovo Racing, Colnago Superissimo(?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
This thread was started in August, 2004, by DnvrFox, shortly after founding the 50+ Forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

Some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with Dura Ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

Both are right. Read on for yourself.

Over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ Forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

Feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

This is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

Below is the original post.

(DnvrFox, the original poster to this thread, no longer posts in the 50+ forum.)

DnvrFox, the OP
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Three (so far): 1), a 2010 Bacchetta Giro I souped up w/SRAM X.0, non-factory wheels, & an FSA triple crank; 2), a desperately-in-need-of-new-paint Nuovo Racing ('82 vintage?); and 3) the other love of my life (besides my wife, of course), my late-80s/early 90s (? again) Colnago, probably a Superissimo, except that I can't find serial number nor model name anywhere on the bike, updated w/2017 11-spd. Chorus, and Zondas.

Multi-vitamins and single malt.

A lot, though this is due much more to the calendar & the weight gain that came with nineteen years behind the wheel of a city bus.

All my life, sort of: it's been more on-again, off-again, depending on life circumstances.

Mostly commuting, a local social/fundraiser call the Bridge Pedal, and the odd 'cause-I-love-it ride.

Depends utterly on the year.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
63 in early May.