Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 10:06 PM

Bikes: TREK MT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
undefinedundefinedundefined
1-Trek mt
2-multi vit & min
3-slowed about 20% since 40 yr old
4-rode for last 25 yr & as kid
5-varies
6-varies
7-I lift weights
Im 65
Old 04-26-05, 08:36 AM

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 52.5

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
2003 Giant Cypress DX

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Coral Calcium, Glucosamine-Chondroitin, multi-vitamins.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
Healing from injuries takes much longer. Since I broke ribs and sprained a wrist 10 weeks ago, I'm not so interested in riding fast anymore.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
All my life, but not fanatically. Lived on the bike as a kid, commuted on a bike in college, have ridden recreationally since but it is now my chief form of exercise because it's low-stress (except when you crash).

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
About 20-25 miles at a time, once or twice a week, with a few 10 milers in between.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Couple times a week, about 2000 miles/yr.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Brisk walk daily.
Old 04-28-05, 12:19 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- LiteSpeed Tuscany (custom built by me)
- Rivendell Atlantis

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
- Saw Palmetto

- None. I've always been slow but steady!

- All my life.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
- Club rides - 20-80 miles
- Centuries
- Training rides
- Spinning
- 30 Mile RT Commute to work in the dry months

- 2000 to 3000 miles

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
- Surfing, Swimming, Hiking

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
- 49 now, 50 in February!
Old 05-04-05, 08:26 AM

Bikes: Trek Allant+ 8S Stagger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just purchased a 2005 Trek Pilot 5.2. Previously, riding only a 1995 Trek 8000 mountain bike.

Glucosamine and Chondroitin, Silver Centrum, vitamin E, vitamin C, calcium supplement

From skiing, I could definitely tell that I slowed after I hit 47. At 48, I hit the weights harder and increased my running to about 25-30 miles/week but I couldn't rip through the moguls at Mary Jane like I used to. I could see that nature was going to take its course after trying to get in better shape the following year. Skiing has been tough on me after 50 -- ACL, broken rib, collapsed lung, torn tendon from bicep to shoulder, now facing another ACL surgery. I finally switched to more forgiving skis and boots this year. I'm thinking this will slow the rate of injuries.

Mostly throughout college and since then.

Some long rides, commuting, and rec rides. Intend to do more biking to strengthen my left knee. I'd like to do some tours I'm excited to bike more with my new Trek Pilot 5.2.

About 1000 miles per year when I was riding a lot. That was for about two years. Dropped to zero for a while.

I love to ski. I lift weights and run to get in shape for skiing. I play tennis as well.

Just turned 55.
Old 05-04-05, 10:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some questions:

Please tell us your age. I'm an athletic 62

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? My bike is a 99 Cannondale R600.

GNC multi vitamin, fish oil, C, saw palmetto, magnesium, baby aspirin

More then my brain wants to admit.

As a young boy, delivered meat and drugs via bike in high School and got back to riding when I retired several years ago. I guess I have always loved the freedom and adventure of riding a bike.

I have done several sprint tri's the past few summers, like to ride with friends, my wife and by myself.
Rides are usually 20 to 30 miles.

Alot no clue on annual mileage.

Windsurfing is my 1st love - if it's blowing the bike stays in the shed. Sprint Tri's when there is no wind, The Y most mornings.

I think I did 62 and getting younger every day.
Old 05-10-05, 10:30 PM

Bikes: trek 7500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 71, and expect to keep riding for a long time yet. I'd like to emulate that Japanese guy and make a long touring ride to celebrate my 100th birthday.

1. What type of bikes -- we ride hybrids. I ride a Trek 7500; woman's frame, because of a back problem.
My wife rides a Trek 720.

2. No special supplements/vitamins/minerals, other than Lipitor and a daily asprin.

3. "slowed down" ? Well, I tend to avoid hills more now. When we're touring we stick to following the river valleys when we can, and when we hike, now we ride the cable car to the top and walk down.

4. How long? Not all that long. Started about 12 years ago, and have been riding seriously for about 10.

5. What type of biking? Mostly touring and rec rides. We have been making independent tours in Europe, especially Germany and France, for 3-5 weeks every summer. Only way to travel.

6. How often? Anytime the weather is warm enough (I live near Chicago). From May to October we try to ride 3-4 days a week. These are 15-20 mile outings, sometimes up to 40 miles when the mood moves us. Then in October we head for Arizona, and continue that process most of the winter. Excluding the Europe excursions we get in maybe 3000 miles a year. But who's counting? -- its the ride that matters, not the score.

7 any other type of physical activities? Only when I can't avoid them. I'm a reformed couch potato, but I relapse frequently.
Old 05-11-05, 12:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I ride a Cannondale hybrid Adventure 800 and a Cannondale roadie R1000. They hybrid is my favorite.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? I take a complex B100 and Vitamine C every day.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Plenty, I used to be able to break 10 seconds in a 100 yard sprint (running), now I don’ think I couldn’t break 20 (just kidding).

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? On and off most of my life.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race? I do a minimum of ten miles/day. Last year my longest ride was 70 miles in a day. My racing days are over but I used to do triathilons.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I try and bike every day that it doesn’t rain from April until November. Last year I rode over 1200 miles. This year I am hoping to do over 1500.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.? Yes, I downhill ski 50 to 100 days a year plus I lift weights two to three days a week and I hike in the High Peaks of the Adirondack mountains in upper NY state.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply?? 65 but I tell everyone I'm 39. No one believes me and I don't know why, I don't look a day over 70.
Old 05-11-05, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Please tell us your age. 57

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? 1992 Trek 2100; 1990 Trek 960(mtn bike used for utility purposes); a brand new, just bought 2004 Trek 2300

multiple vitamins

I don't race so speed doesn't matter, but a mile or two per hour on rec rides.

All my life

everything but race.

varies from year to year . 2000-3000. some years less.

telemark skiing, X-country skiing, hiking, backpacking, kayak and canoe touring, walking, work out at the gym, jump rope, drink lots of red wine (for the heart, you know)
Old 05-18-05, 09:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't ride anymore since I wa diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, but I raced for 25 years and rode long distances before racing, from age 30 to 57.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? On the road I raced on a Masi, a Coppi, a Ron Cooper, a Trek, and a Giovanni Battaglin...on the track I raced a Ron Cooper and an Albert Eisentraut. I also commuted on a Schwinn Paramount fixed gear.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? I took multivitamins.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Since my diagnosis I've stopped riding, mainly to do things I set aside to focus on racing.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? I rode long distances and raced for 27 years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race? I rode all events, crits, TTs (team and Individual), road races, stage races, and all track events (sprints, kilos, pursuits, points, keirins, madisons). I also commuted by bike and trained practically every day.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? 9-10kmiles/year

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.? Only the bike
Old 05-22-05, 07:00 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts

I ride on Steel. Always have. They are mostly European types.

None!

This year in particular, I have noticed that it is harder for me to get up get things moving. I have put on a considerable amt. of weight and I now feel it has become a hinderance to my daily activity.

Well, I guess all my life. I would think that, my more serious biking began about 30 years ago, when I got a decent bike.

I was doing long rides maybe 3 or 4 times a week, mostly club riding. Did quite a few tour rides as well.

Lately, hardly at all, due to complexities in my life at this time.

Skiing was a big part of my life. My work can be quite physical.

8. Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

Old 05-25-05, 07:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm a 50 y/o female
ride many bikes: seven muse, easy racers goldrush, wizwheelz tandem trike (with my 16 y/o daughter), ibis tandem, cannndale road bike, peugeot mountain bike.

never stopped riding after i finally figured out how to balance on two wheels at about age 6. never stopped loving cycling, i just keep going on longer and longer rides! now i'm addicted to self supported bicycle touring.

have *not* slowed down. work full time on graveyard shift, and ride bikes, ocean kayak, hike with my dogs, weight train, do yoga. do something 7 days/ week. my daughter and i are doing a 850+ mile self supported tour (over two weeks) on the tandem trike this summer.

no special supplements other than vitamins and omega 3 and glucosamine. i am following a mostly unprocessed diet full of vegies and fruits as outlined in the book eat to live by dr. fuhrman.

i ride as often as i can but don't know how much that is since i don't have cyclometers on all my bikes. biking is what keeps my juices flowing!
Old 05-25-05, 09:01 PM
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am 55 years old.

1) Only one bike right now, a 2004 Fuji "Del Rey" hybrid, extensively modified and upgraded by me

2) no vitamins / supplements

3) I've been out of shape most of my life, so my getting better and exercising and
eating right probably makes me faster rather than slower.

4) I rode when I was a kid. Stopped until I was about 48. Rode for a couple years, quit. Just started riding again a couple weeks ago.

5) I do recreational / training rides of 10-20 miles right now as I am just getting started.

6) I ride 4-5 times a week. No idea of annual mileage.

7) I don't do any other exercise or sports.
Old 05-26-05, 08:28 AM

Bikes: Trek FX 3 Disc & Trek 5200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello all...a newbie here,

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Right now I ride a Trel 730 hybrid. Great bike for off road trails. I've had it for about 4 years. Mostly a long distance runner looking to cross train on the bike. Looking at a road bike to increase speed and distance.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? All sorts of vitamins...and supplements.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Not much...if any. The distance running makes the bike seem almost too easy so I try to go like a bat out of hell to get the heart rate going.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Like most, I road as a kid. Got into the first "10 speed craze" in the '70's then not again until the late '90's when I met a fellow runner who also biked.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race? A few years back I rode more but now I'm trying to work it back into the exercise routine. 20 miles all out, for now, is a good workout. I want to start doing loger and more enjoyable rides. The longest was a few yaers back I went 72 miles.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? Iuse the bike as a cross training exercise so not near as many miles as most die-hard bikers. Last year I did 1336 in addition to 1400 miles running. If I get the road bike that number will grow.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.? Running and walking, as already mentioned.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply?? I'll be 54 this year. One thing about a regular exercise program and making it part of one's lifestyle...it will keep you younger!
Old 05-29-05, 05:34 AM
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age 64

1. Fuji Aloha (Triathlon Bike). Nishiki for Road, Mongoose for Off Road or to make a workout harder.

2. Multi Vit and 80mg asprin per day

3. Alot. Mainly because I have always been a competetive runner and it is hard to maintain that even with hard training.

4. Off and on for years. I am currently training for duathlon's and biking TT's.

5. See 4 above

6. I find it hard to get alot of biking in because I run alot and do weight training. Can vary between nothing and 120 per week.

7. See above, plus kayaking.

8. I would accept and recommendation or idea on accomplishing any of the above. Also, if anyone is lives near me and has the same goals as would be glad to train with. Severna Park, Md. That is between Annapolis and Baltimore.
Old 05-29-05, 12:57 PM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?...Giant OCR3 and Fisher Tiberon

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? None

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? ...Some groups I'm the old slow guy, others I'm the hammerhead.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? . Always had a bike. Began serious riding last year. Heart surgury stopped me from playing contact team sports, (soccer), that I did every week.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race? ...Various, from Tuesday night Blvd pacelines in Providence, commuting to work, 25+ evening and weekend rides, as well as the short rides to town.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? ...I bike every day I am not doing some other fitness activitiy as in #7.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.? ...Competitive racquetball, walking.

AGE 54
Old 05-29-05, 03:21 PM

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? '01 Jamis Aurora and '05 Jamis Quest.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? No.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I keep getting lighter bikes as I age...so I'm
actually faster now.

4. How long have you been biking? Always, except HS and college years I didn't own a bike.

5. What type of biking do you do? 20 to 70 milers mostly in summer, short rec rides in winter, 8 mile
round commute and would like to do a trans am someday soon...anybody else?

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? Anytime it doesn't snow. Mileage: I don't
keep track, but conti's wear out almost yearly.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities? Lifting and running.

AGE 55
Old 05-31-05, 05:13 PM
Back in the Saddle again

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale T1000; 1989 Fisher Paragon; 1975 Raleigh Supercourse.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes: C'dale T1000; Fisher Paragon Evolution; Raliegh Supercourse (english)
Pills: various meds, ginko,saw palmetto, DHEA, 7keto, megamen
mileage: in training (AGAIN). hope to do STP July 2006. (mebbe on a C'Dale Tandem if things go right)
Shape: fatter; slower; whiny'er; but upright and still moving forward. Had two angioplasties in 3 months for a wake up, so I got out the old t1000, upgraded and made it more comfy, and am back on the pavement.
Old 05-31-05, 05:14 PM
Back in the Saddle again

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale T1000; 1989 Fisher Paragon; 1975 Raleigh Supercourse.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, forgot something, (there's a surprise) I just turned 55
Old 06-02-05, 10:27 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Q0, age -- 59
Q1, bike -- Giant OCR Touring
Q2, additives-- one a day vits
Q3, slow down-- was about 50%, thus returned to biking
Q4, how long-- returned in Fall
Q5, bike type-- commute
Q6, frequency-- 2 to 4 times a week, too much lightning to make it 5 days a week.
Old 06-03-05, 07:21 AM
OsoBuceador

Bikes: Trek 7200 (touring modified), Peugeot PX-10 Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trek 7200

Is Beer classified as a Mineral?

Not sure about this, back in High School my football coach called me ‘deceptively slow’ and I never got any faster.

I am new to biking. My wife and I now live in Eastern Europe and have really gotten into biking through a couple of friends of ours that kept asking us to come along on rides. When we went we had a great time so have become more and more interested in touring.

We started out with very short rides, now we commute to and from work and take at least one long ride a week. We have done a couple of week long tours this year, one in Eastern Germany and one in North East Poland. Next summer we are planning on biking/camping from Denmark to Germany.

Not sure about this as our riding depends on the weather and we have become more and more ‘addicted’ so it continues to climb. At least 1000 km this last year, will shoot for twice that this next year.

Nothing very strenuous, one month of scuba diving in the Caribbean each year and as much golf as possible.

8. Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply?

I am 55 years old.
Old 06-11-05, 04:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

I ride a new Cannondale R700, 63CM, a GREAT bike, I also own a Cannondale Adventure 400

Multi vitamin, glucosamine, saw palmetto

Very little

Most of life, trying to bike more and run less now

Rides of 20-30 miles on the weekends

1-2 a week, 20-30 miles each time out

lift weights and run three times a week

I am 52, good health, knee surgery and hernia repair three years ago
Old 06-12-05, 01:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 56 and have been riding a LONG time. I ride a Colnago Master with carbobn fork, Record components and Nucleons...a 17 1/2 pound steel bike! I ride about 20 or 30 miles a day if time allows...otherwise 15 to 20 real hard. I live in Austin and mostly ride the hills west of town. I am definitely not as fast as I used to be in sprint, but it is a lot easier to ride hard for a long time as I have figured out the part between my ears better. Also, since I went to Ergopower and a lot gears (53/39 and 11-21 ten speed from 53/42 and 12-19 7 speed) I find I really hate to get out of the saddle to climb. That used to be my preferred mode.
Old 06-13-05, 06:29 PM
I really like bikes

Bikes: Paramounts! - '65, '71, '74, '83, '98, '48 Schwinn Continental, '01 Homegrown Factory, Longbikes Tandem, '98 Trek Y-Foil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. I'm 58
2. I love bikes. Favorite rides are Paramounts - '71 P-13, an '83, and a '98 Match Paramount. Ride a '48 Schwinn Continental for a town cruiser. Just built up a '98 Trek Y-Foil, and ride a Longbikes tandem with my wife of 32 years. Once in awhile, I ride the dirt on an old Schwinn Homegrown.
3. Take vitamins every day, along with Glucosomine and Synthroid.
4. My times on the old familiar rides stay about the same, but with more training and effort each year.
5. Started on a Hawthorne tanker in '54 - missed a couple of years after being drafted in '67.
6. Ride at noon every day - up and down the three roads out of town (20-30 miles), and usually take a longer road tandem ride on the weekends.
7. Annually 5000-8000 miles.
8. Swim laps in the mornings, enjoy a yoga practice, and windsurf in the summertime.
1978 Medici Pro Strada
1990 Cannondale ST 600
1998 Trek Y-Foil
1999 Schwinn Homegrown MTB
2000 Schwinn Homegrown MTB
1999 Longbikes Tandem
Old 06-15-05, 05:29 AM
Old Woman on a Catrike

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Trek 7500FX, Raleigh Mountain Bike

2. Glucosamine/Chrondoitin; multi-vitamin; calcium; fish oil

3. Slowed down considerably, but that's more due to weight than strength

4. Got hooked on 'real' bicycling when I was 7 years old and rode 14 miles to school one spring day. Rode sporadically until I was 49 and then rode a lot through age 55 or so. Took up sailing and quit riding for a while. Now, back to riding and enjoying every minute.

5. Riding for fitness and weight loss for now. Formerly, loved long distance riding - when I was around 50, I rode part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, all the Natchez Trace Parkway, C & O Canal Towpath, organized tours in the Shenendoah Valley and DelMarVa penninsula.

6. 5 days a week - 10 miles (at present - but working on more), Sundays 20 miles (working on more)

7. Kayaking, fishing, lift weights, walking

Age - > Chronological or how I feel? I'm 27 in my heart, 64 in my body.
Old 06-15-05, 03:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age: 59.5
1: 2004 Specialized Allez Comp Triple, 2004 Trek 1000C, 2003 Specialized Expedition
2: Centrum Silver, Ecotrin Aspirin, Calcium
3: Have not noticed slowing down...... but undoubtably have
4: About 4 years.... per cardiologist's post angioplasti recommendation.
5: Supported touring (at least 2 per year) long (20 - 40 mile) rides in preparation for tours.
6: 20 to 40 miles per outing 3 to 5 times per week as ND weather permits...1100 to 1200 miles annually.
7: Trek 1000C mounted on Kurt Kinetic trainer.....1 to 2 hours ( 20 -30 miles) daily when weather prevents outdoor activities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.