Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 10-19-16, 07:25 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by hiller
Nice writeup, thanks. Yes, 36 miles would be a long haul on foot, lol. I hadn't thought about the trip down- yikes, better have good pads! Lucky you, with the free flights, but I'm surprised you can't take the bike as luggage.
I could probably take the bike, but it is standby, so I don't want my bike going one way and myself another. Supposedly they don't load my luggage until I've cleared, but I don't want to test that.
Old 11-20-16, 02:06 AM

Bikes: '91 Aquila Pavé, '06 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
A 1990 Aquila Pavé (a boutique cyclo-cross(ish) bike) and a 2006 Trek 520.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Nope.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
At 55, probably 15-30% off of my prime, depending on whether we're talking endurance, speed or climbing.
While I can still take my 20-year-old son on the bicycle, he can take me running, swimming or in sheer brute strength (and I'm fine with this).

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I don't remember a time that I didn't bike.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
Most days, a 10 mile commute to/from work , with a 20-30 mile recreational ride on the weekend. [As newlyweds, we cycled through France -- the longest day was perhaps 60km.]

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Typically 3-4 times / week, 20 miles / day ('tho this past week was ~125 miles).

Last edited by expatCanuck; 11-20-16 at 02:09 AM.
Old 11-23-16, 04:56 PM

Bikes: Gazelle Champion Mondial 64cm; Basso Ascot 62cm; 2018 Giant TCR KOM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Had a Gazelle Champion Mondial with full Campy, I found on ebay sold by a guy in Holland. $500 delivered. Sold that a couple of years ago for a "newer" Basso Ascot. Dura Ace brakes, gears, Mavic crank. Nice bike. Love the MS tubing. Dream of getting good enough to deserve a Giant Propel.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Daily vitamin S. (preferably single malt)

Oh, yeah. Raced in my late teens early 20's so I remember what it was to be strong. Having said that when I restarted about 4 years ago I could barely get up a hill. So, much better now.

Mostly whole life. Lost a decade or two raising kids. Now, I'm on my town's committee on developing bike trails and installing bike lanes on roads. I'm a cyclist.

Train by myself. Rarely less than 20 miles.

That's the hard part. Weekends only. Run my own business so time is tough. Gonna get a trainer to put my bike on the back porch during winter. Gonna be spring ready!
Old 12-06-16, 09:44 AM

Bikes: 1987 Trek 400 Elance, 1993 Trek 520,2006 Cannondale R600, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp FSR, 2002 Trek 7200

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
59 years Old. Post Triple Bypass (5 yrs)

1. Cannondale r600. Specialized Rockhopper FSR, Trek 7200

2. I am on blood pressure meds as well as beta blockers. currently taking CoQten to offset those. daily 81mg aspirin, 1000mg vitamin D, Fish oil omega 3, multivitamin, glucosamine.

3. I'm slower than I was in my twenty's but faster than my late thirty's and forty's. Getting faster all the time.

4. biked a lot in my late teens and early 20's but pretty much quit by age 23. Picked it back up in my early thirties for a couple of years but moved to different interests. Long gap after. Heart Attack at 54, started running to rebuild cardio strength but was damaging my knees. Switched to biking and have been avidly pursuing it since.

5. 2 to 3 week days for 30 to 45 minutes road biking. Weekends I ride a couple of hours either road or mountain. I have completed a Metric Century hoping to do a full Century in 2017. I like to take long overnight rides when I can. Have completed the Silver Comet -Chief Ladiga 100 miler and 220 miles of the Natchez Trace, camping along the way. Planning on retiring completely soon and will be able to spend more time in the saddle.

6. Mileage may vary. Before an event or long distance ride I will ramp up the milage and will ride 5 to 7 days a week. Other times I may only ride three days out of seven. I ride a lot more in Fall and Spring. I haven't been good about recording it but I would guess 3000 to 3500 miles annually.
Old 12-06-16, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hi @DNC,

Welcome to Bike Forums and the Fifty-Plus. Always nice to meet another cyclist who discovers Bike Forums. Myself,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972… I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist...
Not to dwell on your cardiac problems, but to revel in your recovery, you might find this current thread on the Road Cycling Forum (of all places) interesting; I just posted this AM:"Recovering from a mild heart attack and stroke."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-06-16 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-12-16, 10:50 AM

Bikes: 2005 GIANT OCR2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

I just turned 60.
I have a Giant Road Bike purchased for approximately $800.00
Nope, I have taken any supplements yet.
It takes longer to build up the motivation, stamina, and speed now.
I was bicycling 5 days a week for several years until I tore my rotator cuff and blew out my ACL. Due to these injuries I've not ridden in several years. This spring I hope to get back to both commuting and recreational rides.
My commute is 7 miles one way and I've taken 20-40 mile recreational rides since I've turned 50.
See you on the road!
Old 12-12-16, 08:58 PM

Bikes: 2005 Trek Navigator 100, 2016 Trek FX 7.3

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 60

A 2005 Trek Navigator 100 for canal trail rides w/ my wife; 2016 Trek 7.3 FX on my own
Baby aspirin, D3, Calcium, Multivitamin, Glucosamine, Chondroitin - I was having knee problems a number of years ago when I was doing more running, and the Glucosamine/Chondroitin really made a difference. I'm afraid to stop taking it now.
When I was 30, I could run sub-6 minute miles. Now I'm at ~8.5 minute miles. Don't have bike speeds, but I'm guessing it's comparable decline.
Always biked when I was kid, and it was my main mode of transportation at college. Got away from it for awhile and did more running, but have been doing more biking the last 10 years or so.
Canal trail w/ the wife; 8-15 miles as fast as I can on my own; 6-10 miles stop/go when I bring my camera along
Try to get at least a couple times a week; more in nice weather. About 800 miles/year, but I'm hoping to do more w/ my new Trek
Old 12-14-16, 11:15 AM

Bikes: Rivendell--Sam Hilleborne, the only one I need.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Road (Orbea Orca), Touring (Rivendell Sam Hillebourne)
2. Yes, Multivitamin, Vit. C, Vit D3, Proline, Lysine, ASA 81 mg., Fish Oil and Simvastatin 40 mg. (prescription)
3. None
4. First bike for third birthday, learned to ride it about 5 years, starting delivering newspapers at 11 on a bike, rode in college, and to work, now retired
5. Daily life chores (shopping, physician, visits, etc.), self-supported touring, Cycle North Carolina tours and rides are a hoot, and exercise rides (16 to 50 miles)
6. Sometimes daily, sometimes several times a week, 3-4,000 miles per year unless I do a long tour.
7. I walk and hike when it's too cold to ride (or snowy).
Old 12-19-16, 01:28 PM

Bikes: '91 Aquila Pavé, '06 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sofaman

Daily vitamin S. (preferably single malt)
Amen & Hallelujah.
Old 01-04-17, 08:27 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gamecock
1. Road (Orbea Orca), Touring (Rivendell Sam Hillebourne)
2. Yes, Multivitamin, Vit. C, Vit D3, Proline, Lysine, ASA 81 mg., Fish Oil and Simvastatin 40 mg. (prescription)
3. None
4. First bike for third birthday, learned to ride it about 5 years, starting delivering newspapers at 11 on a bike, rode in college, and to work, now retired
5. Daily life chores (shopping, physician, visits, etc.), self-supported touring, Cycle North Carolina tours and rides are a hoot, and exercise rides (16 to 50 miles)
6. Sometimes daily, sometimes several times a week, 3-4,000 miles per year unless I do a long tour.
7. I walk and hike when it's too cold to ride (or snowy).
welcome I am in Knoxville, I will ride in the upper 40's with some sun, just do not like cool weather riding, spend time at the gym and do spin classes
Old 02-02-17, 01:38 PM
Bobobopobedo

Bikes: Yes Please

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cube Peloton, Giant TCR, 80's Moser, Felt MTB, Verenti Technique

Glucosamine, Cod Liver Oil, Arthrotec (I'm 51 shortly, that's my excuse).

None, started cycling just over 3 years ago so can't compare to anything else.

Just over 3 years.

Audax, Wandering aimlessly, MTB and Summertime flogging myself to death on the TCR road bike wishing I was 20.

Approx 20,000 Kms per year.

Last edited by wafflerskillme; 02-02-17 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-09-17, 02:27 PM

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Please tell us your age.

Age 60 and just started cycling regularly about 6 months ago.

1. Giant MTB (circa early 90's) with street tires. I bought this bike new to bike with my kids. Used it for a while and then let it sit for a looooong time.

2. One multi-vitamin/day

3. I was getting little regular exercise until about 18 months ago and I certainly feel like I'm in much better shape now. Blood pressure and pulse are excellent, I've lost about 8 pounds and dropped a waist size.

4. I've always had a bike but never been a regular rider as an adult until recently.

5. Short rides. Could be anywhere from 8-20 miles depending on how much time I have. Looking forward to doing some longer rides.

6. I try to bike every other day but don't go in the rain or if it's below about 38°. On work days I get up at 4:30 and need to be back around 5:20. On weekends, I'll leave later and ride longer.

On days when I don't ride, I use a nordic track cross country ski machine. Remember those? On off days, I have a regiment of stretching and light weights/bands that takes about 30 minutes.
Old 02-09-17, 10:14 PM

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
Please tell us your age. 58

I have several:
Handsome Cycles/ Twin 6 Speedy Devil Custom build
1995 Fuji Discovery drop bar conversion
2011 Fuji Police Special with decals removed and trail tires added
1973 World Voyageur
1990 Trek 820

Occasional Emergencee. Especially when I travel

Don't usually push hard so don't know.

Biked a lot as a kid just like everyone in my neighborhood. Moved to Texas from Colorado as a pre-teen. Started taking longer rides just for the joy of riding as a teenager. Used my bike as a commuter in college. Picked it back up about 5 years ago.

Short afternoon or morning rides 4-8 miles a couple times a week. They sometimes extend to 20 miles or longer. occasional runs into town for lunch and a cold beer, 8 miles round trip. Mountain biking at a couple parks within 45min drive as weather permits.

My butt is on the seat most days even if its just for a couple circuits around the neighborhood. Probably around 600 miles per year.
Old 02-10-17, 10:33 PM

Bikes: Yamaha Moto-bike BMX, Panasonic DX2000 single speed, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Please tell us your age: nearly 53

I named my bikes.

Sexi: 1980 Panasonic DX2000, originally a black 12 speed road bike. Currently a gold-flecked green fixie. I ride it daily. It's perfect for walking the dog because it can go as fast as she can, and also go extremely slow without stopping, when the dog stops.

Blacki: 2013 Roubaix. I commute on this one.

Wiley: 2000 Trek 930. Becoming my gravel race bike. Little by little I'm lightening and upgrading her.

I also still have the first bike I bought new, age 12, with money from my paper route, a 1976 Yamaha Moto-Bike, bmx. I don't ride this anymore.

No, and I don't believe in them. They're all designed to take your money while giving you a false hope.

I still feel about as youthful, spry and well as ever. However, I know I'm actually quite a bit slower, because I know how fast I used to be. Sucks, kinda. I'm not giving up.

As long as I remember. I'm more into it now than ever.

I'm training for the Dirty Kanza gravel grind. I commute. I ride recreationally. I love singletrack and road. I don't yet love gravel, but I'll get there.

Nearly daily. 20 miles a day x 3 days a week x 40 weeks a year = 2400 miles commuting. 1 mile x 300 days a year = 300 miles with Buttercup the dog. Plus training rides and events, maybe 500. So 3200 miles per year.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.[/QUOTE]
PS: when I was in my 20s, I rode a bike because I needed cheap transportation. I was young and fit, but I often hated it. Now, I'm older, my hip hurts daily, my neck doesn't rotate much, and I'm fatter. I could drive, but I prefer to ride bikes! Riding now gives me happiness.
Not to boast, I'm just wanting to express joy!
Old 03-12-17, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Metro, 1965 Schwinn Twinn and others.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age 51, Army Veteran who can no longer run due to lower back and knee pain. Took on bicycling for fitness and mental therapy.
I ride the bikes stated below.
Nutritional supplements: Multi vitamins.
I have not slowed down but maintain a steady 12-15 MPH pace depending on time of day/traffic.
I have been biking since a kid. I remember riding my Schwinn 20" to the beach with Morey Booggie body surf board
10 miles one-way.
Now mainly commute to work a couple times/week. In 2015 logged 1,100 miles, barely 50 in 2016 and 2017; so trying to ride more often.
Old 03-13-17, 04:24 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Median, Marin Fairfax SC-6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wafflerskillme

Just over 3 years.

Audax, Wandering aimlessly, MTB and Summertime flogging myself to death on the TCR road bike wishing I was 20.

Approx 20,000 Kms per year.
20 kms a year, that's great! You must love your new sport.
Old 03-14-17, 01:10 PM
Bobobopobedo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
20 kms a year, that's great! You must love your new sport.
You seem to be missing three zero's there but I won't take offense :-) ( I meant Kms for Kilometers). I sure do.

Last edited by wafflerskillme; 03-14-17 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-14-17, 01:12 PM
Bobobopobedo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by javierf
Age 51, Army Veteran who can no longer run due to lower back and knee pain. Took on bicycling for fitness and mental therapy.
I ride the bikes stated below.
Nutritional supplements: Multi vitamins.
I have not slowed down but maintain a steady 12-15 MPH pace depending on time of day/traffic.
I have been biking since a kid. I remember riding my Schwinn 20" to the beach with Morey Booggie body surf board
10 miles one-way.
Now mainly commute to work a couple times/week. In 2015 logged 1,100 miles, barely 50 in 2016 and 2017; so trying to ride more often.
Stick with it Jav.................
Old 03-14-17, 02:25 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Median, Marin Fairfax SC-6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wafflerskillme
You seem to be missing three zero's there but I won't take offense :-) ( I meant Kms for Kilometers). I sure do.
Sorry. I meant 20kkms. I did 1k mi/mo the 1st yr I rode in 2013, slacked off a little in winter but not much. Couldn't get enough. Rode indoors at the gym, too.

Last edited by hiller; 03-14-17 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-14-17, 02:42 PM
Bobobopobedo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry. I meant 20kkms. I did 1k mi/mo the 1st yr I rode in 2013, slacked off a little in winter but not much. Couldn't get enough. Rode indoors at the gym, too.
I guess we didn't realise what fun everyone else was having on bikes....................Still better late than never.
Old 04-02-17, 10:16 PM

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I cant really say I have returned to cycling, I rode a bike as a kid to go to school on and to a paper round, for me it was transport not a hobby of sport. In the 90's I did quite a lot of cycling as a hobby in Shanghai, a very flat city (I do like the flat...). I then moved to Malaysia with the intention of taking up cycling as a hobby, so bought the bike, then had to work away from home.... So it sat there a few years collecting dust. In February 2017, I started again.. now trying to do it regularly

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folk ride?
2009 Giant TCR AlluxX SL, 16 speed. (gearing way to road focused for the terrain I live in...sorting that out slowly..

No, none at all, try and do it the natural way.

Nothing really to judge it against...but currently definately the slowest on the hills i have to ride up...

Off and on since a kid, but never serious.... this time it feels like a little serious...but still for fun

Still building up fitness, so I'm doing 30km rides, 15km up hill then sailing back down. 2 - 2.5 hours up and down.

Well, currently still working away from home, so its limited to weekends, during the week I walk. Right now its 30-60km per week. My aim is to do 100km days. (just have to fine some flat roads...or get way fitter..).
Old 04-07-17, 02:12 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
56 years old. I joined the site when I first got back into riding. Haven't been on here since 2012. Time flies. Life is going fast! But I am enjoying the hell out of my last few years. A heart attack changes you.

I ride all kinds. Presently I have a road bike, fitness bike, touring bike and a mountain bike.

Not supplements. Just the heart drugs prescribed.

I had not ridden since I was a kid until 2012. After my heart attack in 2010 I had to wait a year before the doctor would let me ride. Then I bought a new bike to try and keep in better shape.

New since 2012.

I ride after work every day about 20 miles assuming the weather is good enough to ride in. On weekends I do short over night tours/trips. I commut to work (11 miles one way) on very nice days.

I have no idea really about annual. I ride when the weather is good. If not I get in the sports car and go...lol
Old 04-11-17, 02:27 AM

Bikes: Crown Jewel,Serotta ottrott, Serotta CSI and a few more

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 63.... man that looks OLD staring back at me. I joined these forums in 2007 when I contemplated returning to riding but all I did from 2007 through 2016 was a lot of contemplation. This year I finally started again and it seems to have stuck... finally.

For now road and cross. I'll need to buy another Mt Bike maybe next year. Right now I'm 100% on the road I may pick up the cross bike this fall.

errrr.... good beer

I have slowed to a crawl! But then it has only been two months and I still have 20+ pounds to lose. I expect that I won't be "fit" until the Spring of 2018 and even that seems optimistic. I find it very interesting to see how much I did lose from age 50. I was pretty fit back then and I have good records of times on climbs etc. So I'll know just how bad it is LOL.

I started about 52 years ago but skipped from about 2004-2016

For now I do 90 min to 2-hours back to back days then I rest or just ride a trainer really easy on the third day. I'd like to get back to 6/7 hours in rest weeks and 12/14 hours on average.

I have never used mileage I use hours. My goal is 400 hours in 2017... moving on to 500/600 when I'm in full swing next year. If the vegetable garden allows :-) Around here there are a lot of hills so a 10 hour week is maybe 130/150 miles so I guess that would be aprox a 6,000 mile year.
Old 04-18-17, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
I'll be 52 at the end of the summer.

I cover most of miles on my little cruiser, but use my MTB for rain and winter.

No.

Not much if at all, but I don't track time or speed- I just look up miles later for kicks.

All my life, never went long without regular riding.

I commute exclusively by bike, year round - easy in that it is only 6-7 miles total daily. I do most in town errands by bike as well. Once or twice a month I take 30-40 mile cruises for fun.

I end up at around 2200 - 2400 miles per year, more than I put on my car.
Old 04-25-17, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carp... I will be able to post here as of September... part of the reason of getting into cycling...

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Building a Chinarello F10 with Shimano Ultegra everything

Yes... Vitamins, Glucosamine

A bit... specially since I stopped doing exercises

Never as a sport nor as what the folks here do.... before starting this build I used a 1999 Walmart bike...

Before, short recreational rides. After the build the plan is to join a friend in his 50+ miles rides.

Soon to find out. I did not even measured the miles before...

Last edited by wachuko; 04-25-17 at 09:30 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.