Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you commute today?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you commute today?

Old 04-18-10, 06:54 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
On the way home last night my legs felt like cement and I didn't sleep well overnight, so when the alarm went off at 03:30 this morning the decision to drive in to work was easy.
The wind and cold and rain this morning were probably just icing on the cake. Although, judging by the flags outside my window six hours later, it looks like you missed a nice tailwind to work. Still, sounds like the right choice.
Old 04-19-10, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Commuted to work this afternoon, bright and sunny, upper 50's, Yippee!!!!

One in a row, 28 out of a possible 57 this year
Old 04-20-10, 11:00 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was 50 degrees with scattered fog as I rode to work today. It's supposed to get up to 75 degrees this afternoon. It was my first ride since I was diagnosed with shingles on Sunday. Recumbent bicycle seats are usually extremely comfortable, but with the worst of the shingles rash in the middle of my back, that seat back wasn't much fun today. I'm going to try and ride to work as much as I can, though, since I don't think I'll be trying any long distance riding until I'm well.
Old 04-20-10, 03:46 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rode in again this evening. Whoopie...two in a row!!

2 consecutive commutes; 29 out of a possible 58 for the year
Old 04-20-10, 06:10 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

The weekend weather hasn't been cooperative the past couple of weeks. I keep looking at Blue Steel and wanting to ride it, but it's not really commute-equipped.

I thought about it over the weekend an decided that this week I'd ride the Portland on Monday, using it to haul in four days worth of lunches, snacks and work clothes. Then I'd ride Blue Steel on Tuesday and Wednesday, then use either Yellow Bike or the Portland to haul home all the laundry (and library books) on Thursday.

It felt very strange to leave home today with only wallet, keys and glasses. I got over it, but the feeling returned when I left work for home.

Tomorrow's a split shift. Staff meeting at 9, then my regular shift at 1:30. I'm thinking about putting in a few miles in between.
Old 04-20-10, 06:34 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuted Monday for 26 miles. I looped to the east and North and back to my house. Today I looped to the east. I stopped at a convenience store for some food then headed home for 14 miles. Rain is coming for the rest of the week. I will probably ride but I don't add miles often in the rain. I would like to get over 110 miles for the week, but I may use this as an off week and go stronger next week.
Old 04-20-10, 07:00 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Rode to work (and back) today. Total 18 miles. 45F this morning and in the 60's going home.
Old 04-20-10, 07:09 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
It was 50 degrees with scattered fog as I rode to work today. It's supposed to get up to 75 degrees this afternoon. It was my first ride since I was diagnosed with shingles on Sunday. Recumbent bicycle seats are usually extremely comfortable, but with the worst of the shingles rash in the middle of my back, that seat back wasn't much fun today. I'm going to try and ride to work as much as I can, though, since I don't think I'll be trying any long distance riding until I'm well.
Do you ride through Wedgwood on your commute? I think I may have seen you....

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-20-10, 07:23 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, two days in a row. I'll wimp out with the rain tomorrow (and possible errand/hauling duty). I'm almost strong enough to go with one my regular road bikes (w/o Bionx).
Old 04-20-10, 08:48 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Do you ride through Wedgwood on your commute? I think I may have seen you....
As a matter of fact, I do. I ride a long stretch of Westcreek Dr, work just off McCart, a couple of miles north of I-20.
Old 04-20-10, 08:48 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Last week I was on the Sports three days, and my quads are tightening up enough to keep my troubled kneecap from scraping my femur... and yipeee for that. Only 5 miles each way, and pretty darned flat, but better than nothing! This week, on to the Stan Pike and it's almost too easy... I know it's crazy, but I'm thinking I may go back to the Sports again, especially since my route has some new lane closures which and lots of road debris from a highway bridge construction project...
Old 04-20-10, 09:01 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

As a matter of fact, I do. I ride a long stretch of Westcreek Dr, work just off McCart, a couple of miles north of I-20.
I passed you last week. You were at the front of the line at the light going north on Westcreek at McCart, I was about 3 cars back. When the traffic cleared, there you were. I think I either said good morning or dinged my bell. I thnk. I was on a dark colored hybrid with panniers and yellow handlebars. I live just south of Meadow Creek and Sycamore School Road.

So do you ever stop in at City Cyclist?

Last edited by Doohickie; 04-20-10 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 09:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far this year 2010 I have commuted to work M-F everyday, and do my one rec ride on sundays 45-58 miles includes climbing from 3k - 4k.
Last year I missed a total of 15 weekdays and 3 weekend rides.
Old 04-21-10, 08:22 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I passed you last week. You were at the front of the line at the light going north on Westcreek at McCart, I was about 3 cars back. When the traffic cleared, there you were. I think I either said good morning or dinged my bell. I thnk. I was on a dark colored hybrid with panniers and yellow handlebars. I live just south of Meadow Creek and Sycamore School Road.

So do you ever stop in at City Cyclist?
It's a small world. Yes, City Cyclist is the most recumbent friendly of all the local bike shops, and since I pass within a block of it on my ride home, I stop in and visit sometimes.
Old 04-21-10, 10:12 AM
You gonna eat that?

I figured as much.

Old 04-21-10, 10:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did but have another newbie commuter question? It was around 40f when I started this morn. and is warming up fast to almost 65f by the time I am ready do head home. So do you haul your cool weather clothes back home every night?
Old 04-21-10, 11:23 AM
You gonna eat that?

I do.

I carry my work clothes, some change of clothes for the ride home, my lunch, a towel for a shower, toiletries, etc., to work. When I go home I pack all the stuff back in the panniers. The extra volume of clothing from a cool morning is usually offset by the fact that my lunch is gone. I need to weigh my fully loaded bike sometime; I bet I'm carrying an extra 25 lb. or more in the panniers on my 34 mile round trip.

Old 04-21-10, 04:55 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode to work again today. It was 52 degrees this morning, and 78 degrees as I headed home this afternoon. Yesterday's light winds were replaced by a howling southeast wind today that made the ride home tough.

I live just south of Meadow Creek and Sycamore School Road.
Since I changed my return route this week, I'm riding down Meadow Creek Drive on the way home. I decided I just didn't like riding on Sycamore School Road in the afternoon, so changed my route to avoid it.

I started commuting by bike last October, and since that time, you're the only other cyclist I've seen on the roads at dark-thirty in the morning. Were you riding to work that day? If so, you must have been earlier or later than usual, since that was the only time I've seen you.
Old 04-21-10, 06:09 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can't ride down the access road to the plant where I work so I do a modified commute. Yesterday I left my truck near the plant and rode a nice 20 miles through Crystal River and then the countryside to my home. This morning I rode a straighter 15 miles back to my truck and then drove the rest of the way in. I am working pretty long hours now and don't like getting up so early so I probably will only do one day a week.
Old 04-23-10, 02:46 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got to ride this beauty to work today:

Old 04-23-10, 03:10 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by robtown
I don't ordinarily care for non-black tires. I like those on that bike.
Old 04-23-10, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode home from work today. I left my truck near work and had a nice scenic 20 miles home. My middle son now works at the same site on the night shift so he dropped his younger brother off at my truck on the way to work. So, I got a nice ride and my truck delivered to me.
Old 04-24-10, 11:45 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I don't ordinarily care for non-black tires. I like those on that bike.
Basic black is always good - but sometimes another color works well. Most of my coworkers like the color scheme but one thought it was "girly". Makes me wish I hadn't sold the pink/yellow ironman bike.
Old 04-24-10, 01:02 PM
You gonna eat that?

Were you riding to work that day? If so, you must have been earlier or later than usual, since that was the only time I've seen you.
Yeah, I was on my way to work. I can't remember If I was early or late that day. I try to leave the house by 5:30, sometimes don't get out until 5:45.

Old 04-24-10, 01:55 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
3 commutes this week -- we're still stuck between winter and spring; it was in the 40's in the morning, 50's on the way home from work. Switched over to "platform" pedals and trying out a new pair of Pearl Izumi cycling shoes (with no cleats, for now).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.