Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Perfect ride, 50+ style

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Perfect ride, 50+ style

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 01:51 PM
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfect ride, 50+ style

Yesterday was the first really nice spring day for us: 70F, sunny and nothing on my schedule except 4 hours on the bike. I even got to use sunscreen.

Could it get any better?

I spent two hours going into a light but steady breeze, but still managed to stow my windbreaker after an hour as the temperatures rose. I reached the turnaround feeling fresh and relaxed, ready for a much-anticipated two-hour return with a tailwind. About an hour from home I did some serious hard efforts up my favorite hills, making my legs well and truly wasted. I expected leg cramps at any moment, but didn't get the first one until 20 yards shy of the very last summit, 5 miles from home and just in time to cool down.

That would make for a great ride any time, but what made it a perfect 50+ ride was this: unlike last year's long/hard rides, when I got off the bike yesterday I had no pain in my knees or back. It felt like cheating -- like downing a full bottle of champagne without getting a hangover. (Note to self: stick with the back exercises.)

As if that weren't enough, my sweetie made apple cobbler for us to eat while we watched Paris-Roubaix..

Heaven, I'm in heaven, and my heart beats so that I can hardly speak. And I seem to find the happiness I seek, when there's apple cobbler stuffed into my cheek...

Nope, it just doesn't get any better...
Old 04-12-10, 02:45 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sun screen, eh? It snowed day before yesterday. I'd already taken my studded tires off my bike, but it's just a momentary lapse in judgment from Thor (or whichever god you want to pick). I've never gotten leg cramps. Sore butt. Tired legs. Exhaustion. Never cramps. What causes that? You imply it's a regular occurrence. I too have very, very bad knees and I'm thankful that cycling doesn't seem to cause a problem with them as I am closing in on 60.
Old 04-13-10, 07:56 AM
pedo viejo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as I know, the cause of cramping is largely unknown, though it's said that electrolytes and fluids help. I usually experience it on warm days after extended hard efforts, especially on the first warm days of the year. That suggests dehydration, and I readily admit I'm still tweaking my fluid consumption for longer rides. But conditioning may have something to do with it too since I don't think I've ever had trouble with cramping in late summer or fall.
Old 04-13-10, 08:10 AM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A beautiful ride and no pics?
Old 04-13-10, 08:22 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That does sound like a fine day.

Apple is fine, but cherry cobbler prevents cramping.
Old 04-13-10, 09:53 AM
pedo viejo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cone Wrench
A beautiful ride and no pics?
Yeah, sorry, didn't take my camera. You'll just have to imagine it from my poetic prose.
Old 04-13-10, 12:01 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Cramps are sometimes related to exceeding your fitness level. That seems to fit the mild calf cramping I sometimes experience, especially in early Spring. My pretty-good ride this past Sunday (43 miles at 17mph) involved no cramping. Hoo-ray! Either I didn't work hard or my fitness level is increasing.
Old 04-19-10, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
cramps and fitness

I don't know about that connection. As I mentioned, I'm closing in on 60 and last year I finally decided to get back into cycling after years of no riding and much weight gain. I've lost 30 lbs so far and there are times I work hard -very hard. I'm also working out with weights at a club and pressing weights till my legs and arms are completely exhausted. I never, ever, get cramps. It's not because I'm in good shape (much better than a year ago but still overweight) and it's not because I don't work my legs to complete exhaustion - I do. I don't doubt some folks react with cramps to hard exercise but it must be more complicated than a simple cause and effect because for whatever reason I never get cramps in spite of very hard workouts. It may be that I'm not strong enough to work hard enough. Lots of possibilities.
Old 04-19-10, 12:27 PM
pedo viejo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't recall experiencing cramps during a short workout under 3 hours regardless of intensity, but on longer rides I am likely to get them, especially as I ramp up my intensity for summer. This also happens to be when temperatures are increasing, so it could be intensity, fitness, heat, dehydration or a combination of any of these.
Old 04-20-10, 01:09 PM
pedo viejo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
I don't doubt some folks react with cramps to hard exercise but it must be more complicated than a simple cause and effect because for whatever reason I never get cramps in spite of very hard workouts.
It occurred to me today while I was doing hill intervals: if you wanted to mimic that effort on a weight machine (or free weights), you'd choose an appropriate weight and do 5 sets of 300 reps on each leg. That's roughly analogous to 5x5-minute hill repeats at 60rpm.

Perhaps that's why so many people say you're better off outdoors than in the gym if you want to improve your cycling. 'Course, they should try to explain that to this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDawlrIeaVM
Old 04-22-10, 02:53 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
that IS a perfect day; how was your evening ...?
Old 04-23-10, 06:17 AM
pedo viejo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I was asleep by 9PM.
Old 04-23-10, 06:22 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
doesn't EXACTLY answer the question ... hahaha but getting to bed early is not bad.

I was in the Twilight Zone myself the other night listening to every second tick away on the clock for hours ... ugh
Old 04-24-10, 08:34 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
On Thursday I had my best ride in years. About 4 years ago, having been off the bike for 8 years, I started cycling again. It has not been easy. At age 50 or so I weighed in at 180 lbs. This season I have started at 192 lbs. Needless to say the hills here in eastern CT are not my friends. But over the last couple years I have been improving. That is I have gotten faster. April here is early in the season and typically windy. So when I went out on Thursday I was expecting to meet headwinds and I was expecting to suffer, as usual, on the hills. But, since I have been riding a bit, I thought I should test myself and see how quickly I could make the circuit. I live on a ridge and coming off it to the Shetuckett River is always easier than the 2 miles up Babcock Hill Rd. or the steep little climb onto Liberty Hill. At the 9 mile mark I noted that I was averaging 17.5 mph. So deceptive since that is accomplished primarily with descents. It also signals the beginning of the flats and mild elevations. At the 18 mile point I was averaging over 16 mph but facing the series of elevations that typically slow me to a crawl. And at the 25 mile mark, with 5 miles of climbing remaining, before reaching the flats of the final 5 miles I was actually averaging 16.3 mph. So, I reached deep and went after Babcock Hill and Exeter Rd. I rolled into the center of town and was confronted by a Lebanon Police car pulling into the intersection and flipping on his lights as I approached to turn right and sprint for home. I thought, "I wonder what's going on?" As I made the turn and began to to pick up the pace the cruiser pulled up next to me. I was thinking, "Are you kidding me? What could I have done on a bicycle?" The officer pulled up to me and his passenger window slid down. He looked over at me and with a big grin said, "I'll race you to the stop sign." I replied, "Only if there's a beer in it for me." He laughed and sped off. It was then I realized he had flipped on his lights to help me get through the intersection. I alternately swapped the hoods for the drops as I sprinted for home. When I rolled into the yard well spent, I slowly got off my Masi and checked the computer....34.5 miles at 16.1 mph. For a 64 yr. old, overweight, well past his prime, ex-college football player it doesn't get much better than that. And, today my gf and I will go out ignoring things like average speed and just spin along enjoying the ride and each other. And, that's why I love cycling.

Last edited by bruce19; 04-24-10 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-24-10, 09:35 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts