Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you HTFU today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you HTFU today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 12:32 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
It sounds like your back is better.
I get lectured to by my physical therapist every time I pay him a visit. I shouldn't complain, because he really has helped a lot.

I had a nice ride out in da boonies today until about 1PM. It was as if some cosmic voice called out, "UNLEASH THE KRAKKEN" at which time I found myself surrounded by white and red pick-up trucks. If it wasn't for the fact that my EBay-acquired wind vest displayed the names of a landscaping service and a construction company, I might not have made it out alive.
Old 04-30-10, 08:53 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I can speak from experience that 100k on a tandem as the Captain can be pretty tough. Especially, if you cover most of the added power for climbing and accelerations.
I'd like to hear the stoker's version of this.

Old 04-30-10, 09:57 AM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kr32
Sounds horrible to me but I guess this is what HTFU means huh? I would have bailed as well. I hate riding in the rain or playing golf in the rain but have done both.
Now the bigger question is did you learn their names?
I sure did. Their names were Fred, Fred, Fred, and Alex.
Old 04-30-10, 05:58 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
not today - totally exhausted. i was so tired after a work assignment that i napped on the couch, but then decoded that I needed to lay on my back with my feet up. totally wiped out out today. if I can get the bills paid tomorrow and the scanning for my daughters slide show done, then I'll hit the weight room, and maybe ride 50 miles on Sunday
Old 04-30-10, 09:47 PM
Don't mince words

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
We HTFUd last night. I met cgallagh at a predetermined place and the wind was howling from the northwest. We rode into the wind, then with a left-quartering cross, then a right-quartering cross, then headwind, then tailwind the last 2 miles. Wind speed was 16 mph sustained with gusts up to 30 mph. I was toast when we got home; cgallagh cooked dinner. Guess we know who's more HTFU these days.
Old 04-30-10, 10:26 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I did 20 miles this AM, heading out with a tailwind at 5:30 am on lights. It was gusting to 30 on the way back home. The usual 30+ mph hill were at 15 mph, max. I worked 6 hours, then hit the gym with a trainer and then swam 600 meters. I'm thinking of trying Aquabike. But that's all I did today,except for two glasses of wine and a steak at the club.
Old 05-01-10, 04:39 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Red Rider ~ well at least you had a tail wind for 2 miles ... hahaha
Old 05-01-10, 06:54 AM

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
i started riding in oct 09 for 04/10 i got in 330 miles for the month, but now the lake is open and i plan a few hours of rowing a week. a recent member of the 65 + club.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
102_0423..jpg (99.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-01-10, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamesw2
I don't have cycling shorts. You know the ones with the padided inserts. I have done trips of 80 miles and about ten trips over fifty miles.
We have a WINNER!
Old 05-01-10, 01:34 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have a new member of the HTFU club.
Today I was out doing a long ride, when I got home my 9YO daughter was getting ready to go out for a ride so I switched over to my commuter and went with her. Today it is pretty warm, in the low 80s and we rode for about an hour, towards the end of the ride we had a moderate hill to go over, my daughters bike is your typical kids coaster bike, heavy and slow - not easy on any hill. She was getting tired, looked at the hill and said - I'm hot, I'm getting sun burned and I'm tired but I guess I'll just have to suck it up and climb this hill and get home.
Old 05-01-10, 06:00 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
We have a new member of the HTFU club.
Today I was out doing a long ride, when I got home my 9YO daughter was getting ready to go out for a ride so I switched over to my commuter and went with her. Today it is pretty warm, in the low 80s and we rode for about an hour, towards the end of the ride we had a moderate hill to go over, my daughters bike is your typical kids coaster bike, heavy and slow - not easy on any hill. She was getting tired, looked at the hill and said - I'm hot, I'm getting sun burned and I'm tired but I guess I'll just have to suck it up and climb this hill and get home.
Old 05-01-10, 06:26 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hit 51mph on a descent today. I guess that's partial payback for climbing grades like that.
Old 05-02-10, 06:26 AM

cyclinfool ~ I LOVE YOUR DAUGHTER'S ATTITUDE!
Old 05-02-10, 06:48 AM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My HTFU for May Day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TdCclimb..JPG (28.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-02-10, 06:50 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAlt
My HTFU for May Day
It's a tough ride. Sorry we missed you once again.
Old 05-02-10, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Don't know if this qualifies. Did 57 miles yesterday, 24 of the last 28 miles was at 20 mph with three traffic light stops. Last 2 miles did a 24 mph sprint at a street side radar speed trailer in a short distance. Still recovering from my last fall on Feb 15. Right hip still sore. I rode 46 miles the day before yesterday in 15 to 25 mph cross winds.
Old 05-02-10, 01:34 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
cyclinfool ~ I LOVE YOUR DAUGHTER'S ATTITUDE!
Thanks - she is maturing into one great kid, a lot of fun to be around and likes to do all same things I like to do.

Now for my HTFU story of the day. I attended a club ride today - the B group. After yesterdays 40 mile ride I decided a 50 mile ride at the advertised rate of 16 on the flats would be good. As we all know, many times club rides don't stick to the advertised pace. At the rest stop - mile 28 the average speed over rolling terrain was 18, a lot of time was spent in the low 20s on the flats. I was OK with this but knew I was in for suffering. As the ride went on the back group formed which I was glad to join as I was getting low on water and since I forgot my Gu, was beginning to feel the energy drain. I started counting down the miles at mile 38, my mental game when I am tired is that I can do 12 miles no matter what. By mile 47 I recognized where we were and realized that we did not have 3 miles to go but 6. At this point I was out of water, I was beginning to feel the onset of bonk - it was time to HTFU. I did - but no stellar performance to report. I stayed in the middle of the tail pack, I fought off the bonk (which came when I got home) and I will live to ride another day.
Old 05-02-10, 06:53 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by LAriverRat
Don't know if this qualifies. Did 57 miles yesterday, 24 of the last 28 miles was at 20 mph with three traffic light stops. Last 2 miles did a 24 mph sprint at a street side radar speed trailer in a short distance. Still recovering from my last fall on Feb 15. Right hip still sore. I rode 46 miles the day before yesterday in 15 to 25 mph cross winds.
Everyone decides for themselves what "qualifies". In matters of HTFU, we are totally impartial.
Old 05-02-10, 07:44 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Did a 64 miler that had a 1 mile climb around 8% and another 6 miler that averaged 5-6%. I even managed to pass a few people on the long climb and I'm the worlds worst climber.
Old 05-02-10, 10:06 PM
Fear no hill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know those days when every thing just feels right on a ride ….. This was not one of those days!
I had legs of lead today 10 miles into today’s ride I was 5 minutes behind my normal time. Unfortunately today was my day to add mileage and elevation to my training ride. I really had to HTFU on that extra 1400’ of climbing that I added today.
Old 05-02-10, 10:59 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I rode both days this weekend - 3 hours each day. The weather was beautiful and our best cycling conditions so far this year. On Saturday, I was scheduled for 2X20 minute z4 or threshold power efforts with few minutes rest between efforts with one containing flat to rolling terrain and other climbing. The flat to rolling is the tougher effort for me. I knocked them both out and I was glad when I finished the flat / rolling section.
Old 05-03-10, 08:05 AM
Don't mince words

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I rode 61 miles in darn near perfect conditions on Saturday, with my right sciatic nerve burning like a mutha. I've not had problems with it before and don't know why it's inflamed now, but no matter, I had to finish the ride I organized.

I hope not to ride with that kind of pain again, ever.
Old 05-03-10, 08:28 AM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes and no.

I went to Moab for the weekend to ride the Moab Gran Fondo.

Start time of 7 am was delayed until 8 am, as the organizers used blow torches to try and get the ice off the cattle guards on the route.

Myself and one of the fellows I was with figured we would ride the first half, then turn back to town ( avoid the gravel, snow and ice) , then go ride to Island in the Sky in the afternoon.

We rode the first half of the Fondo, then did the ride to Island in the Sky in the afternoon - 17 miles - ALL uphill. no breaks, no flats, ,nothing. We kept looking to the east and south as we were going up - commenting on the rain and snow everyone seemed to be getting.

We got to the park gate, looked the west and went uh, uh! We came down off that hill pretty damn fast with the storm chasing us and the temperature dropping like a stone.

Then just to prove we aren't very smart, we went out Sunday morning before we had to leave town, out along the Potash Road, alongside the Colorado River. Beautiful right up until the wind decided to roar down the funnel that we were riding through and bring a rain squall with it.

I'm in SLC airport right now, on my way home.

What a great weekend.
Old 05-03-10, 08:40 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMB
Yes and no.

I went to Moab for the weekend to ride the Moab Gran Fondo.

Start time of 7 am was delayed until 8 am, as the organizers used blow torches to try and get the ice off the cattle guards on the route.

Myself and one of the fellows I was with figured we would ride the first half, then turn back to town ( avoid the gravel, snow and ice) , then go ride to Island in the Sky in the afternoon.

We rode the first half of the Fondo, then did the ride to Island in the Sky in the afternoon - 17 miles - ALL uphill. no breaks, no flats, ,nothing. We kept looking to the east and south as we were going up - commenting on the rain and snow everyone seemed to be getting.

We got to the park gate, looked the west and went uh, uh! We came down off that hill pretty damn fast with the storm chasing us and the temperature dropping like a stone.

Then just to prove we aren't very smart, we went out Sunday morning before we had to leave town, out along the Potash Road, alongside the Colorado River. Beautiful right up until the wind decided to roar down the funnel that we were riding through and bring a rain squall with it.

I'm in SLC airport right now, on my way home.

What a great weekend.
Sounds great. IMO, the weather you had beats the 110º summer weather they get. There's not much you can do in that after 8am. Besides, the vistas are so much more dramatic in stormy weather.
Old 05-03-10, 09:12 AM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
OH, the humanity!

Why you do that to yourselves is beyond me.

The monsoon came over the weekend so all I did was a Coach Troy workout, No Slackers Allowed.

There was, however, at least one slacker present. I felt like barfing only once.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.