Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

When do you get in your rides?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

When do you get in your rides?

Old 04-19-10, 08:13 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclist2000 View Post
I ride after work, I try to get a quick twenty miles in the evenings. This evening I was able to do 20 and mow the lawn.
??

??
Old 04-20-10, 08:39 PM
stillcom

Bikes: FASTER - Titus Solera, Litespeed Solana SLOWER - Litespeed Pisgah WINTER - Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, SHOPPING - MTB Gary Fisher VINTAGE - Centurion Lemans RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Early mornings usually work for me. even on the weekends I try to ride early. It's hard to find the time once the day starts. Although things may be changing. I'm 60 and have a 6 year old daughter who learned to ride just 4 weeks ago and begged me to take a ride with her tonight when I got home from work. We rode a mile and I think it was the most fun I've had in a long time. She's really excited about cycling. It reminded me of the feeling of freedom and fun when I started riding many years ago. Being an older dad tends to limit my free time, which drives my cycling buddies a little crazy, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. My 38 year old daughter got me back into cycling and my 6 year old will likely push me for years to come.
Old 04-20-10, 09:25 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seenoweevil View Post
Most of my riding is commuting to work and trips to the store as well. I'm starting to worry because I'm not sure I'll be able to handle 70- 80 miles on the Finger Lakes trip in June.
It it's any consolation, all of mine are under 20.

The thing about commuting is that no matter how easy or hard you ride it, it works like interval training, and it's regular. Intervals are allegedly the best sort of training. And in my experience anyway, I can easily ride two or three times my usual distance without much trouble, as long as I've been riding regularly.

In short, you'll do fine at GFLBT.
Old 04-20-10, 09:30 PM
sesmith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seenoweevil View Post
I'm startingo worry because I'm not sure I'll be able to handle 70- 80 miles on the Finger Lakes trip in June. All of my rides are under 30 miles so far.
Like many here I get most of my miles in commuting. Not sure where in the Finger Lakes you'll be, but get some hills in before you come (you'll be glad you did). That'd be more important around here than longer rides for the mileage you'll be doing.
Old 04-20-10, 09:45 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
??

??
Believe it or not, I've scavanged enough donor stuff from the curb and I intend to build one of those this year. I have yet to decide if it will be operational or strictly ornamental.

Mine's gonna be green and yellow because nothing runs like a .....well, you get the point.
Old 04-21-10, 10:44 AM
78fujis10s

Bikes: 1978 Fuji S-10S, 1996 Bianchi Nyala, 2008 Trek 1.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work afternoons so most of my rides occur in the morning between 9:30 and 11:00 am. Since I am a morning person, this is the best part of the day. I usually try to ride three days a week. However, I will have to give up one of these days to mow the lawn each week (boo!).
Old 04-21-10, 03:20 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
??

??
My DH would love this. He currently uses a push reel mower for our 1/4 acre of grass. This would be exactly his idea of an eco-friendly riding mower.
Old 04-21-10, 03:31 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I set goals to keep motivated, no TV or kissing the wife until I ride. My wife plays my game with me, yup, I really am 56. But I use her kiss as a victory dance. I've asked her to get a yellow dress like the ladies in the Tour de France, she won't. Because she knows I have to keep my heart working to stay healthy she helps make it fun.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-21-10, 04:07 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of my rides are with my club, Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. Right now, we leave at 8:30am. As it warms up, we will leave at 8:00 and then 7:30am. We all live within 2 miles of the starting point, which is handy. Since I am retired and live in California, I can ride about anytime I want.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades