Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Repair or New Tube

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Repair or New Tube

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 06:03 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Repair or New Tube

If you repair, do you repair multiple times? How do patched tubes perform?
Old 04-22-10, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Here's my MO.

1. Find cause of puncture and repair.

2. Insert spare tube and ride away.

3. Patch hole in tube at home with old style glue-on patch...dust with talcum powder.

I've never had a patch fail (jinx) and I'm not afraid to ride with multiple patches in tube. (I trust my work).
Old 04-22-10, 06:21 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
When on a ride, I will install a tube from my pack instead of patching on the road (unless I've run out of tubes - then I'll patch). I'll patch when I'm at home. Once patched, I'll over inflate the tube a bit and let it sit a few days to make sure there are no other holes then I'll roll it up and it is ready for use.

The most patches I had on one tube was 9. Finally got a hole near the stem that couldn't be patched. Other that a little extra weight of the patch, a well-patched tube will perform as well as a new tube.
Old 04-22-10, 06:49 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I also switch tubes while on the road, and patch at home.
I had a couple of patches develope slow leaks after a very long time of use.

I have some tubes with over ten patches on them. I only put the tube in the trash when the valve stem glue finally gives out.

Patching cost about 10 cents, a new tube cost $3 to $6.
Old 04-22-10, 06:51 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by curdog
I will take out the punctured tube, try to find the cause, remove the cause, install a spare tube, and stuff the punctured one into the space I had the spare one. When I get home hang the punctured one over a nail, and grab another from the spares pile. When there are 2 or 3 that need patching, I get out the glue on patch kit, I pump them up, using a bucket of water I look for any holes, mark them with chalk and let the tube dry. When it's dry, I let the air out, put on any required patches, then let it sit until the next day. Pump it up, and do the water test again. If there are no leaks, I let the air out, roll them up, and put them at the bottom of the spares pile. They only get tossed if they can't be patched. If I replace a tire, I replace the tube and the old one goes on the nail to be checked.

IIRC out of 2 bikes and about 3 spares, so 7 tubes there are 2 that don't have patches on them, they all seem to work just as well as new ones. I think the last tube I bought cost $4, the last patch kit had 10 patches (and 2 glue tubes) for $2, so 20 cents per patch. I've found tubes on bike trails, from people who don't pack out their trash . I usually grab them, if they are the right size, and not obviously ruined, I'll keep them, if they are not, or the wrong size, then I will toss them in the next rubbish receptacle I come across. I was once riding with someone, and came across a tube, looked to be in reasonable shape, wasn't the right size for me, but it was for him, he got a $15 tube for 20 cents.
Old 04-22-10, 07:07 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Here's my MO.

1. Find cause of puncture and repair.

2. Insert spare tube and ride away.

3. Patch hole in tube at home with old style glue-on patch...dust with talcum powder.

I've never had a patch fail (jinx) and I'm not afraid to ride with multiple patches in tube. (I trust my work).
That's what I do too.

I don't attempt to repair holes that are too close to the valve stem and I don't overlap patches. Other than that, I'll patch and reuse a tube indefinitely.
Old 04-22-10, 07:21 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I came across two tubes that would not take a patch.
Sagged for large group ride two weeks ago and picked up 5 tubes.

Tried three times to patch two of them and the patches would not hold.
The other three are fine.

So I now see why some riders don't even try to patch them.
Old 04-22-10, 07:53 PM
Just a Cyclist

Bikes: 08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curdog
I aways just change the tub. I will only patch when I have no choice.
Old 04-22-10, 08:05 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I usually swap tubes on the road and repair them at home. I keep using them until there's a hole too close to the stem or another patch. Every now and then there'll be one that just won't take a patch and those end up in the garbage.

I'll have to say though that I haven't had a flat in a very long time.
Old 04-22-10, 08:38 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In addition to the above -> I don't patch holes that are slits because they have the potential to spread under the patch. I ditch after 3 patches.
Old 04-22-10, 08:47 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Like many others, I replace on the road and patch at home. Tubes patched with a well applied glue-on patch are very reliable.
Old 04-22-10, 08:51 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5458 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 238 Posts
Either fix hole or replace tube on the road. I always have a patch kit and a spare tube with me. Two tubes will last the life of a tire.
Old 04-22-10, 09:03 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I came across two tubes that would not take a patch.
Sagged for large group ride two weeks ago and picked up 5 tubes.

Tried three times to patch two of them and the patches would not hold.
The other three are fine.

So I now see why some riders don't even try to patch them.
There is a procedure to go through to properly patch a tube.

Locate the hole, use chalk to mark it's location.
Take your patch and put it over the hole, with the backing still in place, and draw a box around it, 1/2cm or 1/4 inch larger then the patch, this is your work area.
If the seam is anywhere within this box use the sanding pad or scraper to flatten that section of the seam.
Make sure the area within the box is clean and dry.
Now take a fresh tube of glue and coat the area inside the box with the glue, giving a nice even thin coat.
Give it a good 5 minutes for the glue to set.
Remove the foil backing from the patch.
Centre the patch within the box, and make sure it is not wrinkled or has any air bubbles underneath. Apply a weight or some pressure on it, for 10 minutes.
Remove the weight and leave it sit overnight.
Recheck for leaks
Apply some fresh talc over the patch area to prevent sticking (optional)
Deflate and roll it back up.
Let it rest until you need it.

The biggest mistake that people make is trying to hurry the process, especially allowing the glue sufficient time to set before applying the patch. I like to do 3 or more at a time, because, while I am waiting for the glue to dry on the first, I get the second to this point, then while it's setting, I get the next ready. While the third is setting, I can complete the other two. The other reason for doing a batch, once the seal is punctured on the glue tube, it tends to dry out. You can prevent this by placing it in one of those zipper seal plastic bags, or a 35mm film canister.
Old 04-22-10, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding for more than 40 years, surely hundreds of flats, and i've had two patch failures. one of those was my fault (I didn't have sandpaper, and did a bad job of scuffing the tube on the sidewalk). we have lots of big thorns around here, and i patch until they overlap or the valve rips off. It just makes no sense to toss a $6 tube because it has a tiny puncture.
Like nearly everybody else, i carry a spare tube and use that if i flat, then repair the tube at home. but that really only saves a minute or so. with practice, you can dismount a tire, put in a new tube, inflate (with a hand pump; only sissies use CO2) and ride away in 3 to 4 minutes.
Old 04-22-10, 11:42 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've had as many as 7 patches on one tube. I think I've had one fail in 8 years. And I get lots of flats (19 last year).
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 04-23-10, 03:34 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
(with a hand pump; only sissies use CO2).
Huh? explain
Old 04-23-10, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
When I have a flat, I install a tube and perform repairs at home. I carry two tubes and a patch kit. Like others, I use glue patches. They are reliable if installed properly.

I've learned to press firmly on the patch immediately after it is installed. The patch jobs I've had fail, with very slow leaks, occurred because I didn't press or rub on the patch firmly immediately after installation. Wait a minute. I'm in Arkansas. I don't press the patch firmly, I mash it down.
Old 04-23-10, 06:30 AM
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gash44
I aways just change the tub. I will only patch when I have no choice.
+1. I get flats about twice a year and I buy tubes by the dozen on sale. Easy peasy. On rides over 50 miles, I've always got 2 extra tubes and a patch kit with me so I'm self-sufficient and so I can help the occasional stranded cyclist.
Old 04-23-10, 06:59 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
In honor of Earth Day (week?), I'm going to have a tube patching session this weekend to catch up on my backlog of tubes needing repair. Better to keep using things than to always replace them.
Old 04-23-10, 07:08 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I have been back and forth on this. Currently, I replace with a fresh tube while on the road and save the flat tube. Back at home I run it through a water bath to see where the hole is. If it is on a clean section of rubber (no raised sections to file down, not near the valve) I patch and save. Otherwise I toss. I have just had to many bad patches to fuss with questionable tubes.
Old 04-23-10, 11:44 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
50/50 on this. Puncture on the ride and fresh tube. Then months later when the next puncture comes- I find that I forgot to repair the 1st puncture so have to patch.

Only done this once and never since. To save the problem- I now locate the cause of the puncture in the tyre to check for damage or residue and this is easily done if you follow the rule of Putting the tyre logo over the valve stem amd not removing the tyre completely from the rim. I now patch on the ride unless it is raining. Then my neatly packed tube that is in the wedge- will go back in the wedge without having to roll up first to get the air out- and I still have a good tube in case I have multiples.

Road riding and I don't get many punctures but on the MTB for the last puncture I did fit a new tube. 6 patches and I reckoned that tube was old enough to retire.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-23-10, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
Wait a minute. I'm in Arkansas. I don't press the patch firmly, I mash it down.
If you were in Kentucky, mash could mean something else as well.
Old 04-23-10, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,493 Times in 2,846 Posts
On the road I carry a pack of Park GP-2 self-adhesive patches, and a spare tube.
If I can determine the cause of the puncture and remove it, I apply a GP-2 patch.
This can usually be done WITHOUT REMOVING THE WHEEL.

Once home, I remove the tube and put on a permanent patch.
I don't regard the GP-2 as a permanent solution due to them developing slow leaks weeks after application.
Old 04-23-10, 06:48 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will take bad tubes and throw them in a box, when I have a dozen or so in the box I repair them. I then fold them up and put a rubber band around them. I find fixing in batches works best because sometimes the glue in the tube hardens if not used after opening. I have also used glueless patches and they have held for long periods of time, in fact I think I have one on my bike now that I put on last summer.
Old 04-23-10, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I put in a spare tube and patch the punctured one at home. I don't worry about how many patches are on the tube unless I would have to overlap patches. I saw a guy repairing a flat once that had so many patches that it looked like he had a Mr Tuffy puncture strip stuck to the tube.

When I SAG'd an MS150, I carried about a dozen road tubes of my own. The first night I patched 7-8 in the hotel, and gave those out the next day for those that had flats.

If you're having a problem getting the patches to glue on, there might be a powder on the tube that needs to be cleaned off before patching.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.