Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why am I getting these dizzy spells?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 09:53 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts

I'm in better shape that I have been in the past 15 years. Blood pressure seems good @128/80, I'm 56 y.o., 6'3" 220 pounds.

For the past month whenever I stand up after sitting for @ half an hour I get a head rush dizzy spell. It lasts for anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds. I have to lean on something til it passes. Is it allergies, allergy meds or I am missing something. They bother me because they just wont go away.

ANYONE?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-25-10, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Same thing has been happening to me lately, I'm thinking it is allergies because I also get headaches and irritated sinus, and watering eyes. Might be to do with the inner ear, not sure. Had vertigo spell the night before last, haven't had that happen in ages. Ugh.
Old 05-25-10, 10:19 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't come here for medical advice - go see your Doc.

You are most welcome to come here for most other topics but we really are not qualified to diagnose.
Don't mean to be crass - but need to get that point across.

Stay healthy!
Old 05-25-10, 10:59 AM

But BF is cheaper than an HMO, no co-pays that I know of, expect maybe dropping dead I guess.

Old 05-25-10, 11:07 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Advice from an RN: Get this checked out with a healthcare provider. Could be orthostatic hypotension - B/P dropping when you stand up. The question would be why is this happening? And, is it an annoying nuisance or a sign of a problem?
Old 05-25-10, 11:09 AM
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Cyclinfool is correct, and I'm not a physician OR offering a diagnosis, but your symptoms are consistent with orthostatic hypotension, due to a drop in blood pressure when standing (Google it). I have some knowledge of this because I work with dizzy patients. Please consult your physician for evaluation in light of the fact that the symptoms are persisting.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 05-25-10, 03:21 PM

I've been playing with the idea of seeing a DR. We switched Medical Plans and I need to choose a new gatekeeper. Guess this is a good reason. Thanks for the push in the right direction.

Old 05-25-10, 03:38 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,468 Times in 3,217 Posts
When I saw your title the smart ass in me wants to go to work but I told him to go back to bed and sleep it off.

Us proto-geezers should have a physician to call. Yes it is a good reason to find yourself a doctor.

Is your BP maintained by medication? If not you are a lucky one. If you are treating it it could be the culprit.
Old 05-25-10, 04:23 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've always heeded dizzy spells as they tend to predict a sudden rush of the floor rising up to smack my head!

Go see a doc.
Old 05-25-10, 04:27 PM
like a monkey's racehorse

Bikes: GT Legato 3.0, Trek 800 Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had this exact same issue for about 2 years. Once, it was bad enough that I lost consciousness for about 5 seconds. For me, it all started when I dropped 50 lbs and got closer to the weight I should be. I never had issues when I was heavy, but now that I'm in better shape, I get dizzy very often when I stand. It seems to be more severe after I've done some exercise. I've been to the doctor, and have had a series of tests run (stress test, 24hr EKG, tilt table, neurological tests, etc) and the general consensus is that there's some issue with the way my heart adjusts for me changing from a seated to a standing position. During this transition, gravity will cause blood to run to the feet, and the heart needs to pump more strongly to get adequate blood to the brain. This generally happens so quickly that you don't notice it, but for me there seems to be a delay of a few seconds that causes dizziness. Both the cardiologist and neurologist agree that it's nothing that I need to worry about unless the condition worsens, and I should continue to monitor it and just be really careful when standing. My advice, though, would be to check it out with your doctor. Just because this is what's going on with me doesn't mean it's the same for you.
Old 05-25-10, 06:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto..ditto ..ditto. linuxelf, sounds like you wrote my reply other than I have not consulted a doctor yet. I am a little hesitant to tell my doctor because I see no reason to do all their unneeded tests that they prescribe to cover their bases legally.
My light headedness is exactly the same, is happening now at a lighter body weight but there is no way I will regain weight just for this. I have learned to live with it by rising slower, I pause while rising from laying down and rise from a sitting position a little slower.

I read about orthosstatic hypotension and believe that is exactly what it is. Low blodd pressure is not that bad of a condition to have.
Old 05-25-10, 06:35 PM

I guess that we have a fraternity going here. I have trimmed about 25 pounds since last July. Riding and low fat diet seems to be all I need to keep BP in control. The dizziness is frustrating, I never thought the change would confuse my body like this.

Thanks for the name of something to Google. Its amazing what you can research in no time.

Last edited by Daspydyr; 05-25-10 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-25-10, 06:48 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
This is for general information and does not constitute medical advise.

Let's see, you live in Nevada and the symptoms are a month old.

How's the weather? Warm these days?

Nice out? Riding lots? Weight dropping a bit?

How's the fluid and electrolyte intake? Staying on top of it or just always catching up?

For similar symptoms I thought I might be anemic, but my counts are fine, so I concluded that I wasn't staying properly hydrated.

Then I charged myself a $25 co-pay.
Old 05-25-10, 07:40 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Did you default on your co-pay? Did you report yourself to the credit bureau? Hope not, they suck.

Hydration was one of two things I thought of, the other being the generous dilation of blood vessels in the lower limbs giving blood a chance to rush away from the head -- probably a good indication of why I'm not a doctor, either....
Old 05-25-10, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
It could be allergies or a small stroke, or anything in between. Go see the doctor. bk
Old 05-26-10, 01:11 PM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Standing up rapidly can cause hypotension, as mentioned above, which will cause dizziness. You could also have an inner ear infection which is causing some vertigo. My father was once put on some anti-biotics and they damaged his inner ear, so now he has PERMANENT dizzy spells, so there are a ton of reasons that this could be caused. Dehydration, mal-nutrition, medicines, etc. and even a combination of all the items mentioned.

This is one of those things that you don't want to blow off, so go get checked out in some way or another. This is not something you want to let sit and hope it goes away. Imagine being on a nice long relaxing ride, and passing out in mid-ride!!!
Old 05-26-10, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link

How's the fluid and electrolyte intake? Staying on top of it or just always catching up?

For similar symptoms I thought I might be anemic, but my counts are fine, so I concluded that I wasn't staying properly hydrated.

The weather and hydration are possibly issues. Its been so windy for three months. Riding more and hate to drink while riding. Even I have caught myself on this. Not drinking enough. And in trying to lose the last 12 pounds I have been bad about eating and drinking properly after riding.

And I sure don't want to pass out mid ride. I stupidly took a tumble 10:30 last night. Ended up on a road that was being resurfaced, didn't realize it was 3 inches from pavement to concrete. Wrists and shoulder are complaining today.

Old 05-26-10, 02:32 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
See the doc is my first suggestion but I had a similar problem that came on a few years ago. After several tests at the docs and hospital- they wanted to put me back on Beta Blockers. Didn't take their advise and it went away.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-26-10, 04:48 PM

Maybe some pie therapy is in order.

Old 05-26-10, 05:08 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,468 Times in 3,217 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Maybe some pie therapy is in order.
Peach cobbler is in season down south...
Old 05-26-10, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by ahsposo
Peach cobbler is in season down south...
With Vanilla ice cream and some cinnamon.

Old 05-26-10, 06:40 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Definitely see your doc. He or she will probably send you to a cardiologist for a checkup. If the findings are negative they will probably tell you that you have orthostatic hypotension (drop in blodd pressure on sudden movement). I have had it for years. I have to be careful when riding - particularly in warm weather. When it hits, you want to get prone with your legs above your head and it will clear up quickly. My niece the sports med doc tells me the standard drill is key: eat before riding, hydrate, keep up the electrolytes, eat periodically whilel riding and cool down with a lot of slow riding before dismounting. The other thing to watch for in us oldsters is meds. beta blockers are well know blood pressure droppers. Flomax can also be a culprit. I had to switch from Flomax to Avodart or I wouldn't be riding.
Old 05-26-10, 07:47 PM
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 check w/the doc. Thyroid might be another possibility. Regardless, be careful standing up (go slow) under circumstances where you know it's likely to occur (after riding, etc.). It's annoying.
Old 05-26-10, 11:45 PM

Bikes: 2002 Trek 7300; 2004 Trek 1000; 2007 Trek pilot 5.0; 2008 Trek 1500; 1997 Bianchi Alloro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link

My doc told me exactly the same thing. Not enough fluid intake resulting in what he called "low blood volume." I increased my fluid - water - intake and situation resolved.

Incidentally, I noticed the problem after I lost 30% of my body weight and was still really a bit obsessed with not gaining ANY weight back.
Old 05-27-10, 07:00 AM

Bikes: Look 765 Gravel RS, Lynskey Cooper CX, Lynskey R260

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
+1 with hydration and electrolytes if it only comes on after heavy exertion. I sweat copiously and find if I am not careful about plenty of fluids (urine almost clear) and eating bananas or supplements I have the exact same light headed feeling when suddenly standing up. What has probably helped the most is a salty snack after riding. If you do not exert yourself for a couple of days does it subside? If it doesn't or if it persists even with fluids and electrolytes get a medical evaluation. Also, taking a deep breath and holding it while standing can decrease the light headed feeling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.