Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling popularity and dress code,etc

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-31-10, 05:37 PM
rwortman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How popular is cycling where you live? I live in mid-western Connecticut and on a sunny day the place is crawling with bicyclists. A smattering of hybrids and mountain bikes but mostly road bikes and 75% high end'ish road bikes. On a related note, why does darn near everyone that rides an expensive road bike have to play professional peloton dress-up every time they ride? Most of these guys judging by their age and/or body type are never going to be competitive road racers so what is the deal here? I begrudge no one their expensive racing bike if that is what they want to ride and I understand certain articles of cycling gear make riding more comfortable but the day-glo team colors serve no purpose. I don't wear an F1 driving suit when drive my car and I don't wear Honda racing leathers when I ride my motorcycle. Why would I wear all that team sponsor gear when riding my bike? And another thing. I see 2 to 4 people a week riding a $4,000 bicycle with the seat set about 4 inches too low. Is this a new and/or alternate riding position?
Old 05-31-10, 05:50 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rwortman View Post
How popular is cycling where you live? I live in mid-western Connecticut and on a sunny day the place is crawling with bicyclists. A smattering of hybrids and mountain bikes but mostly road bikes and 75% high end'ish road bikes. On a related note, why does darn near everyone that rides an expensive road bike have to play professional peloton dress-up every time they ride? Most of these guys judging by their age and/or body type are never going to be competitive road racers so what is the deal here? I begrudge no one their expensive racing bike if that is what they want to ride and I understand certain articles of cycling gear make riding more comfortable but the day-glo team colors serve no purpose. I don't wear an F1 driving suit when drive my car and I don't wear Honda racing leathers when I ride my motorcycle. Why would I wear all that team sponsor gear when riding my bike? And another thing. I see 2 to 4 people a week riding a $4,000 bicycle with the seat set about 4 inches too low. Is this a new and/or alternate riding position?
Around here if they are not the roadies you describe, they have 29ers with huge knobby tires to ride on the street.

Don in Austin
Old 05-31-10, 05:52 PM
Herb

Bikes: Fuji Team SL , Dahon Flo, Dahon Mu P8, Ritchie Skyline tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel your pain, but it's a free country, and at least they're not playing golf, or maybe they should be!
Old 05-31-10, 06:13 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as I am concerned, if team X wants me to wear their colours, I would be glad to, providing they are supplying the gear. However if you think that I am going to spend an extra $75 on a jersey because it it has a team logo on it, well how long since you were reported missing at the nut hut. I don't know why they do it, although I think the proper term for a guy in peloton dress-up with with an expensive racing bike is poseur....

Riding with the saddle 4 inches too low is probably for one of two reasons:

1) The shop where they bought the bike cut the steerer way too short, they don't like the head down ass up riding position and they also don't realise you can get an extender.

OR

2) They want to support their local orthopaedic surgeon and figure a double knee replacement is the best way to get there....
Old 05-31-10, 06:15 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's really no different than all the people that wear basketball or football jerseys or jackets. People are just fans. It doesn't matter how good one is as long as it appeals to the buyer. No one is going to play for the Lakers (or Celtics in Ct.) but wearing their stuff is common. I see it the same in cycling, only we're out there actually participating in the sport.

As far as I'm concerned, the more cycling stuff people purchase the better our choices and hopefully, prices. If someone wants to ride on a RadioShack team bike in full kit so what? It's ok to be a fan if you want to IMO.
Old 05-31-10, 06:18 PM
nivekdodge

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
It's really no different than all the people that wear basketball or football jerseys or jackets. People are just fans. It doesn't matter how good one is as long as it appeals to the buyer. No one is going to play for the Lakers (or Celtics in Ct.) but wearing their stuff is common. I see it the same in cycling, only we're out there actually participating in the sport.

As far as I'm concerned, the more cycling stuff people purchase the better our choices and hopefully, prices. If someone wants to ride on a RadioShack team bike in full kit so what? It's ok to be a fan if you want to IMO.

Bingo +1
Old 05-31-10, 06:30 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why this bothers folk one way or the other escapes me. It's not as if some people are dressing up as Nazi storm troopers. Now THAT would be offensive.

I was given a pro jersey as a gift, a Barloworld team kit on clearance as the
team is defunct. It's my favorite jersey. It has a full zipper so I don't panic when I have to, you know, while wearing bib shorts.

I wear bib shorts because they are comfortable.

I ride a full carbon bike because my physical the****** advised me to.

This world is full of tragedy, injustice, pain and suffering. Perhaps you should find another issue to get your knickers in a twist over.
Old 05-31-10, 06:41 PM
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Day glo colors do serve a very, very, important purpose. They help make you visible to cars.
Many bike shops have only team marked bike jerseys and no plain ones. It can be tough to find a plain cycling jersey without the internet, especially in place selling high end bikes. A cycling jersey is a very nice thing to have especially on a long ride. It is more comfortable and has a lot of carrying capacity. Cycling clothing is primarily about function not looks. Not that some do like the look of matching colors etc. The brighter the colors the better, on the road.
Old 05-31-10, 06:52 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main reason I don't wear a full team kit is that I feel if you do, you better be a pretty good rider and I'm not. But I had never thought of the Football/basketball/cycling fan connection. I like that thought. I will probably never go for the team shorts and matching socks, but I do love me some jerseys (I have 31). Nowadays, I buy them at a used cycling stuff place in San Rafael CA and never pay more than $15. I do have a picture in my mind that I just can get rid of: A short, very pot-bellied rider in a predominately white Team Jelly Belly kit, the one with Jelly Bellys all over it. And he had it unzipped down to his navel. And he was smoking a cigarette at a rest stop. Aaaacckkk! My eyes! My eyes!!
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 05-31-10, 07:02 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I see a lot of people who I know I didn't go to school with wearing gear with the name of my university on it.
It makes me proud that people who never went there still identify with it.
If you support something or somebody, why not wear the colors?

Paul
Old 05-31-10, 07:07 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
I see a lot of people who I know I didn't go to school with wearing gear with the name of my university on it.
It makes me proud that people who never went there still identify with it.
If you support something or somebody, why not wear the colors?

Paul
Ever been to Tennessee? You'd think every person there was a Vol alum. lol Perhaps orange is their favorite color.
Old 05-31-10, 07:22 PM
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I'm of the "Wear what you want" school of thought. But, I go just the opposite way of the people you describe. I wear what I'm going to want to have on, when I get to where I'm riding to. Whether it's a suite and tie, or bluejeans and a T-shirt. I can see the usefulness of the padded shorts and wicking shirts, kits, and so on but I don't always need that to ride to the park, or a friends house, or the store. As long as the "Roadies" don't make fun of me, I won't make fun of them... but we all know how that goes sometimes....
Old 05-31-10, 07:31 PM
kennyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nudder point about wearing true biking gear, is that it really helps if you are cyclin'! Proper shorts keep "everything" from bindin' up all in 'air, a good fabric for a shirt or jersey keeps you warm or cooler, proper shoes....
You get my point.
I ride a hybrid 'way out in the country most of the time alone, but I think the proper gear makes it more fun.
YMMV...
Old 05-31-10, 07:44 PM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with a group of ex-runners. We got some nice biking jerseys made up with "Iroquois Hill Runners" and our club logo on it. A lot of riders with the local club wear ride-specific jerseys, like the Old Ky Home Tour jersey.

When I commute, I wear khaki's (long or short depending on temp), and a regular shirt.

I don't care for the flashy clothes, although I always use riding shorts and sometimes wear a bright USPS jersey I got as a gift on long rides.
Old 05-31-10, 07:44 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Seattle, I see lots of bikers out in all kinds of weather in all kinds of clothing.

I see lots of people in full team kit who actually *belong* to racing teams or clubs -- clubs are very popular here and on weekends you see people out in groups, wearing the team colors. This is much more prevalent here than people wearing the colors of some random European team. My thought: if you're in a club, you've earned the right to wear the kit.

Also, many people here wear ride jerseys -- from STP, Ramrod, etc. Again, if you've done the ride - you certainly ought to wear the jersey.

Many of my favorite routes cross paths with some of the roads that serious cyclists use as they make their way across the Seattle area and/or out to the country. Often I see small, unshaven groups of Seattle randonneurs on their way to or from some epic ride. Thus, when I see a rider with an expensive bike and full kit going somewhat slow (or at least not blazingly fast), I don't assume they're a poser. I assume they're on their way back from a 100-miler or 300k brevet. I see some of these same riders commuting during the week and they always completely leave me in the dust.

I also see some somewhat wobbly newcomers, on brand-new bikes, or old bikes just dragged from the garage after years of rest, sometimes wearing brand new full-biker-kit from who knows where. I say, good for them -- maybe they'll stick with it; maybe next time I'll see them in a ride jersey from an epic ride.

There's more:
- In the winter, when it's raining, we all wear rain gear.
- The fixed gear crowd wears skinny jeans and tennis shoes.
- Two weeks ago I saw two different women wearing knee-length leather boots while riding their commuter bikes.

The only consistent thing I have found is that so far absolutely no one (except my wife) cares what I ride on my bike.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 06-01-10 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-31-10, 08:08 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of rage over nothing I think. I have a couple of "clown jerseys", one I particularly like is my Indy Fab jersey - I don't own one of their bikes but it is a sharp Jersey and very comfortable. I also have a Live strong Jersey - Lance did not send it to me free, I bought it and I like it. My daughters got me a Dad's root beer Jersey for Fathers day last year.
So who elected you fashion police anyway?
Old 05-31-10, 08:19 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a holiday with perfect weather here today and the local MUPs were a carnival: crawling with everything... including little kids with training wheels, dog walkers (why you need a trail for that, I don't know), rollerbladers, and a huge sample of cyclists. Among the latter group there did seem to be a plethora of over-equipped (one suspects) full-kitted roadie types including some aero helmets even.

I wear full cycling gear myself and appreciate a nice jersey of one's choice and a good pair of functional shorts etc. But the full-kit roadie plan seems a little too pretentious for my taste. But I find the extreme upright comfort bike crowd interesting and curious too... even amusing in some cases.

My boxers are not really terribly bunched up over any of this though. Just part a diverse universe of cycling that is interesting to behold.
Old 05-31-10, 08:26 PM
Gyro

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear t-shirts, some type of cargo shorts or blue jeans. Long sleeve flannel shirts for cooler weather. The only type of biking clothing I wear are padded shorts under it all.
Old 05-31-10, 08:30 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Old 05-31-10, 09:34 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Generally, I go for Hi-Vis orange or Hi-Vis yellow, both of which, I believe, are frowned upon in some circles, but I like to be seen on the road.

I've discovered the utility of full zip jerseys, not because I wear bibs as noted above, but because it's nice to get a little breeze going across the engine room when it gets hot and/or when I'm climbing. It's not a pretty sight when I unzip, but I don't care.

I've got a couple of nice non-hi-vis jerseys, but no team stuff.
Old 05-31-10, 09:51 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're involved in an altercation or, even worse, an accident with a motorist...here's something to ponder:

The 'I didn't see him/her' excuse used so often is more likely to fizzle if the cyclist was wearing hi-vis clothing at the time.
Old 05-31-10, 09:51 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
They have their saddles four inches too low because nobody ever told them that their saddle height was a fixed number more or less based on their unchanging PBH number and/or they cannot figure out how to jack the bars up higher than their saddle like on their old box store bike shaped object and so instead dropped their saddles down to the top tube and called it a "Rivandale fit" or some such as that. They proably also bought a bike two sizes too big.

I generally wear cycling cloths devoid of logos and insignia unless I wear a vintage wool Pinerallo jersey.
Old 05-31-10, 11:20 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a full cycling kit whenever I ride because I'm an ex-racer, 3rd in the points race at the 2002 UCI World Masters Track Championships in Manchester, 2nd in the points race at various World Masters Games, overall winner in my age group in the 2005 Huntsman World Seniors Games, and 2nd innumerable times at Canadian Masters National Road Champinships (Fort McMurray, Mont Joli, Hamilton, I've lost track). As well as having won overall at Masters stage races in Mexico, the points jersey at masters stage races in Guatemala, and various track races in Trinidad, masters age group.

And I wear full kit because I don't like sweating in shirt and tie on a bike, it is REALLY uncomfortable. I'd rather sweat into a t-shirt worn underneath a full-zip jersey that I can change out of and have a shower before changing into that shirt and tie at work. Bike racing clothing is just so well-designed and so comfortable, especially in adverse weather conditions. It flexes in the right places, provides padding in the right places, and is aerodynamic in a headwind. A bike jersey comes with a built-in air conditioner (some people call it a zipper). Experienced cyclists will often tell you that their favorite piece of cycling clothing is a vest. I have yet to wear a shoe cover that keeps your feet dry for longer than 40 minutes, but most will keep your feet warm for the duration of the ride.

Having said that, I would agree with the OP that maybe some people are just not cut out to wear cycling clothing. For example, fat people should avoid lycra clothing; it makes them look like sausages. However, in my case (I am 6'1" and weigh 175 lbs), I would say that I have earned the right to wear any cycling clothing I want (most of it is stuff I've raced in, or stuff made by Adidas which is hard to get in North America). If you don't like it, tough.

Luis
Old 06-01-10, 12:58 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the clothing side- I wear what is comfortable and that is cycling specific stuff. Don't own any "Team" colours but that is because I haven't liked the fit or the material. It is shaped for the physical exertion that I hope I am going to put in and also has the other property in that it keeps me cool when hot and warm when cold. Just wish I had worn the full weather gear last saturday when it rained for a 30 mile ride and I finished up rather damp.

On the riding side- Good sunny warm morning and plenty of bikes all over the UK. Plenty of cycling clubs around so I often see groups of riders in their club colours going at a pace that I would love to achieve and on bikes that any enthusiast would love to own. The riding population are split into 2 or 3 groups though. You have the Fit ones on Mid to high end bikes in proper cycling clothes and with the bikes set up properly. Then you have the ones that just enjoy cycling and they have an asortment of bikes but still have the proper clothing as they have found out it works. Then you have the ones that just ride a bike for exercise- to lose weight or mum and dad taking the family out. They wear whatever they like and I can't knock them for that.

Bike set up is down to individuals. I ride with the bars lower than the saddle because it is comfortable for me- Except on the MTB's but they are set up for a different type of riding. And as for Team colours- Stuart and I often get accused of Wearing it as on our long hard rides we do have a sponsor that provides his clothing for advertising- Even down to the really comfortable socks that he provides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
south downs way 2004 008..jpg (66.0 KB, 35 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 06-01-10, 01:31 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My time is split between California, Michigan, and , France.. France and California are pretty similar in that the sight of cyclists is nothing unusual. I'd estimate about 70% of the bikes are more expensive road bikes. The balance urban bikes used for utility purposes.. Michigan , In the university towns an even mix between utility cycling and roadies.. In it's factory towns , I see maybe a majority of utility cyclists on city bikes.. Maybe it's the economy causing more and more to commute by bike.

^ Since January 1, 2012

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.