Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Things I Really Didn't Need to Hear on MoM

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-01-10, 01:41 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm carrying about 15-20 extra pounds compared to last year when I did Mountains of Misery. I know it. I don't need to be reminded. These are some of the "helpful" comments I really didn't need to hear this year:

"One mile to the top, Big Guy!" -- I'm 5'8", so he wasn't referring to my height...

"You're an inspiration!" -- if a fat guy like you can do it, anyone can!

and... (as I walked past the finish line, pushing my bike and carrying my shoes): "It was really hot and humid out there, so that makes it even tougher! Congratulations for finishing!"
Old 06-01-10, 01:48 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is it that the "Extra" weigh always goes into one particualr spot on the torso.

I am only carrying 5lbs extra from last year after a long winter without enough riding and I feel it. So good on ya for carrying on when it was obvious that you were going to struggle. Give it another couple of rides and you will lose the 15lbs. Just make certain you do the walking when others aren't watching

Spike Milligan
Old 06-01-10, 04:45 AM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's ok, you made it. It was a very hot climb at the end. I had to stop with less than 0.5 miles to the finish because I was dizzy and lightheaded. I whined to the volunteer that perhaps I couldn't make it. Of course he was very encouraging. It was a great ride though. I wonder as we rode the van back down why we didn't come up that way instead of climbing the wall on Salt Pond Mountain Rd.
Old 06-01-10, 05:20 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jim,
I am suffering from the same ailment, I gained close to 15 over the winter where I ended last season 5 more above the previous season - this is going the wrong way.
I have managed to work off 5 so far but it is stubborn as heck.

The fact that you didn't let the weight gain knock you out of the ride from the onset is great. Good job, that is one hard ride - it sure as heck isn't on my bucket list...
Old 06-01-10, 06:35 AM
NOS88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with my hearing aids out. So, I tend not to hear things I don't want to hear. There is a misconception that heavier people can't perform or have some level of cardio vascular, flexibility, and strength fitness. So, I suspect folks were just trying to be supportive/kind.
Old 06-01-10, 07:08 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My all-time favorite is: "Don't worry - even good cyclists have bad days every now and then".
Old 06-01-10, 07:13 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dude, it is, after all, called "Mountains of Misery"
All those comments were designed to make you miserable. Sounds like you got what you signed on for. You should be thrilled!
Old 06-01-10, 12:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I was climbing a hill in the heat Saturday and a SAG car drove alongside and the girl asked if I was O.K. with great concern in her voice. I must have looked pretty bad.
Old 06-01-10, 12:54 PM
NOS88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I was climbing a hill in the heat Saturday and a SAG car drove alongside and the girl asked if I was O.K. with great concern in her voice. I must have looked pretty bad.
Sorry, but this just caused me to sprew coffee over the desk top. Life is indeed an adventure, and one never knows how others will see us as we navigate our way up the hills.

Last edited by NOS88; 06-01-10 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-01-10, 01:00 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was riding my touring bike on a flat canal towpath the other day when I stopped to watch some ducks. A guy riding past, who had to be older than me, asked if I was okay.

I realize he was just being a nice guy and a good cyclist, but it still was a reality sandwich.
Old 06-01-10, 01:10 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I was riding my touring bike on a flat canal towpath the other day when I stopped to watch some ducks. A guy riding past, who had to be older than me, asked if I was okay.

I realize he was just being a nice guy and a good cyclist, but it still was a reality sandwich.
Are you sure he wasn't addressing the ducks?
Old 06-01-10, 01:35 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
Are you sure he wasn't addressing the ducks?
Hmmmm...could be he thought I was a ducknapper. Now it all makes perfect sense.
Old 06-01-10, 01:50 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once got, "That's an appropriate bike for an old guy like you."
Old 06-02-10, 04:42 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like I'm not alone in the "misery."

I'm feeling better about myself now.

I think I'll go have a donut.
Old 06-02-10, 11:47 AM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The killer for me is, "Are you all right, SIR?" From inside, most of the time, i'm still about 32. From outside, during a ride, apparently I look 65.
I think I can claim the record for offseason weight gain, though. I'm not proud of it, but I'm going to mention it anyway to help shame myself back into condition:
I'm 6'4", in-shape weight about 220, which is what I weighed 18 months ago. I've been off the bike nearly all that time because of an obscure neuro condition that caused double vision and occasional weakness, which made most types of exercise hard or impossible. That's resolving now, at least enough that I can ride again, and I'm working my way back slowly.
I've also been taking fairly heavy doses of steroids, which are powerful (!) appetite stimulants. While I was not working out and eating with both hands, I tended to avoid the scale. Yesterday I hopped on, and the needle hung at 280 like it was painted there. Even after I put down my Dove Bar, it was still 279.5.
Man, this is going to be a long haul. The doc says I probably never will get back to 150-200 mi/wk, but encourages me to do what I can. I've always controlled my weight by cycling (when you burn 8000 cal/wk through exercise, you can eat pretty much whatever you want). I can't believe I'm setting an interim goal that's 30 pounds higher than a weight I vowed never to reach...
Moral of the story: it's a LOT easier not to put it on than to take it off. I rue every one of those meals I ate after rationalizing, "I'll start the diet tomorrow..."