Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Taken down by a dog

Old 06-01-10, 05:22 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Taken down by a dog

Yesterday's ride started well enough, that is until an 8 month old Labrador Retriever darted out in front of me. I hit him square on at between 16 & 20 mph. Dog's OK, but the owner was a bit shaken and now fully aware that he needs to keep his dog on a leash when walking him. Me? Well I've a minor concussion, road rash on my left hip, leg, and elbow, and am wearing a cervical collar for the next few days. Now on to the important damage.... my 50+ jersey is rather torn up and no longer wearable. And the bike? It came out of the whole ordeal with just one brifter scratched and slightly askew. Oh, and I'll be buying a new helmet today given the current one just about split into three pieces.

I've got to say it's been a while since I went down this hard, and I did ride the 6+ miles to get home. I really don't know how pros go down, often harder than I did, and get back up to finish the stage.
Old 06-01-10, 05:54 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WOW!!

Glad you are relatively OK. That is not a nice experience. Heal well.

I had a dog experience also yesterday, but not while riding a bicycle.

My son and daughter-in-law came over for lunch, bringing their two very frisky and friendly large and strong Golden Retrievers with them. They happen to toally adore my wife and myself, and are seemingly uncontrollable and uncontainable the first few minutes at our house. I was at the top of the driveway, the dogs were out and running like crazy, and one came from the back, plowed into my left knee, and down I went forward onto my knee. Just a few scratches, but it really took the breath out of me.
Old 06-01-10, 06:09 AM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That sounds like a nasty crash. I'm glad to hear you were able to get home under your own power. Get well soon.

When I first started riding, I was not a big fan of helmets. After my first crash, I changed my way of thinking. It sounds like yours did its job.
Old 06-01-10, 06:32 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any fall for any reason at any speed is going to hurt. 20mph and hitting a Large dog is not the best way to fall- as you found out.Only good point about this is that the bike was not damaged but get the front wheel checked out for damage and loose spokes.

I suppose the other point that others can take note off is the state of your helmet. You still had some concussion and the road rash is not helping so hope you recover fully and get back to riding soon.

And on the helmet- My LBS hates it when it is new helmet time for me. I start at the cheaper end of the range and keep going up on models till I find the one that I would like to wear. They just give me a free hand now but why is it that I always get into the upper price range before I find one I want?

Get back riding soon and replace that jersey at your first chance.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-01-10, 06:36 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad your OK - dogs as cute as they are can be a real hazard.
Old 06-01-10, 06:42 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it a law in Pa for owners to have dogs on leashes? If so maybe you can recoup expense of repairs and such?
I hate seeing people on the mup I ride a bit on with dogs. I always slow down because you never know what is going to happen with them.

I hope you recover well and soon. A good reminder to always wear a helmet.
Old 06-01-10, 06:45 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another trick I find lately is unhelmeted folks riding a bike with a dog on a leash walking as they ride. Sometimes they are listening to whatever on earphones, also, or talking on a cell phone!!
Old 06-01-10, 08:20 AM
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOS88 you are lucky! I grew up in PA. I would send a letter to the dog owner and ask for damages. and if a police report was written? I don't envy your healing process any. that has got to, sick to the stomach, hurt
I've never crashed although I've only ridden a few thousand miles. I have fallen while going up hill when I've gotten into sand and a blacktop that has layers on the berm. That one was at night. I did hit a rock doing 35 that flattened my front tyre in two revolutions. That was in the canyon comming down from Ward, Colorado I am still using that rim. I was lucky because on that particlure curve I had space to run across the oncomming lane then through a picknick area before the creek.
Old 06-01-10, 08:28 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
Is it a law in Pa for owners to have dogs on leashes? If so maybe you can recoup expense of repairs and such?
I'd expect the dog owner to be liable even without a strict leash law. Pet owners are responsible for damages done by their pets and in this case the cyclist's crash and consequent damages are the direct result of the dog's actions.

I also had an unfortunate encounter with a labrador retriever when it ran out into the street and right in front of my wheel. The owner was very apologetic and I was about to tell her that everything was ok (I had some minor road rash on elbows and knee) when I glanced at my bike and saw that the frame had crumpled at the top and down tubes. She gave me her home owner's insurance info and I gave them an LBS estimate for a replacement which they promptly paid.
Old 06-01-10, 10:35 AM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad you're okay, NOS88.
Old 06-01-10, 10:40 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane 5SL Disc; REI Mazama; Specialized Langster

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If you're riding and see the dog coming, a quick dismount generally stops the dog. they are chasing the bicycle as it goes down the road. Once the bicycle comes to a stop, there is nothing more to chase. Works for me every time.
Old 06-01-10, 10:45 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am glad you are OK. I have seen that one happen 3 times. You t bone an errant pooch and you go right over the handle bars and onto your head. It is almost always a concussion along with scrapes and possibly broken bones. That is the thing I fear most about dogs. Most dogs, even big ones, can be scared off relatively easily. But if they get in front of you, you can end up pushing up daisies.

I am very glad to hear that you are OK.
Old 06-01-10, 12:45 PM
NOS88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
WOW!!

Glad you are relatively OK. That is not a nice experience. Heal well.

I had a dog experience also yesterday, but not while riding a bicycle.

My son and daughter-in-law came over for lunch, bringing their two very frisky and friendly large and strong Golden Retrievers with them. They happen to toally adore my wife and myself, and are seemingly uncontrollable and uncontainable the first few minutes at our house. I was at the top of the driveway, the dogs were out and running like crazy, and one came from the back, plowed into my left knee, and down I went forward onto my knee. Just a few scratches, but it really took the breath out of me.
Denver, I know what you mean we had a female e Golden that was "over friendly"; they really do like people![/I]

Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
That sounds like a nasty crash. I'm glad to hear you were able to get home under your own power. Get well soon.

When I first started riding, I was not a big fan of helmets. After my first crash, I changed my way of thinking. It sounds like yours did its job.
Thanks. this helmet may have saved me from days of pain. I'm looking to replace it with the same model.

Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Any fall for any reason at any speed is going to hurt. 20mph and hitting a Large dog is not the best way to fall- as you found out.Only good point about this is that the bike was not damaged but get the front wheel checked out for damage and loose spokes.

I suppose the other point that others can take note off is the state of your helmet. You still had some concussion and the road rash is not helping so hope you recover fully and get back to riding soon.

And on the helmet- My LBS hates it when it is new helmet time for me. I start at the cheaper end of the range and keep going up on models till I find the one that I would like to wear. They just give me a free hand now but why is it that I always get into the upper price range before I find one I want?

Get back riding soon and replace that jersey at your first chance.
Thanks. Already got a new 50+ jersey on order for Curtis.

Originally Posted by jackb View Post
If you're riding and see the dog coming, a quick dismount generally stops the dog. they are chasing the bicycle as it goes down the road. Once the bicycle comes to a stop, there is nothing more to chase. Works for me every time.
Yeah, I know. I agree this generally works. Unfortunately I never saw the dog coming & she never saw me. AShe was chasing a squirrel.
Old 06-01-10, 08:08 PM
LAriverRat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a dog and two small kids take me down last February. Was doing about 19 mph when they got in front of me, i left the bike path to avoid them, hit a rut and woke up with road rash on my knee, hip, arm(still hurts) elbow, holes all across my back and a broken helmet. When i take my shirt off it looks like i was flogged. My hip still aches. Now if it looks even close to a problem i just stop. I scan a lot for potential problems and no matter what i am doing i just stop. I just do not want to be laid up again.
Old 06-07-10, 05:12 AM
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to stop posting about crashes. I went out for my sat ride and darn near got wiped out. I was about 3 miles from home after 35 miles of riding. I entered a construction zone. To my right was a line of barles and a 16 inch drop off with a line of reflectors glued to the road. Some of the barles gave me enough room to ride between them and the reflectors others didn't.
Out of nowwhere comes a dog, from my left, I had time to see his bare teeth and turn into him not knowing if a car was coming or not. When he got to about six feet I felt a woosh of air and turned away to the right, as the mini van horn blew, the dog turned away to keep from getting run over.

I think the minivan saved my ass from the dog but, by the same token, the car darn near bumped me off of the road. I did not here a thud that would have been the minivan hitting the dog. I kept going an did not turn around to look as other traffic went by.
I didn't shake when it happened but as i write this i am
Old 06-07-10, 08:36 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch, ouch, ouch!

By all means send your bills to the dog owner. Anyone who walks an eight-month Lab off leash is in need of education by natural consequences.
Old 06-07-10, 02:32 PM
NOS88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
Ouch, ouch, ouch!

By all means send your bills to the dog owner. Anyone who walks an eight-month Lab off leash is in need of education by natural consequences.

My wife and I talked about this. The young man was just that --- young. If you could have seen the look on his face after the accident, it was clear that the crash had an impact on him. While money doesn't grow on trees, we're at a point in our lives where we can afford the minimal bills that came from this mishap. We decided that I'll give him a call to find out how the dog's doing, and remind him that if he wants to avoid future incidents like this, he needs to keep the dog on a leash. I'll sleep better if I handle it this way. Now if I ever see him again and the dog isn't on a leash, I'm likely to unleash a verbal assault the likes of which he's never heard before. And given I was raised by a father who was a drill instructor in the US Army, I know just what to say.
Old 06-07-10, 09:01 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
My wife and I talked about this. The young man was just that --- young. If you could have seen the look on his face after the accident, it was clear that the crash had an impact on him. While money doesn't grow on trees, we're at a point in our lives where we can afford the minimal bills that came from this mishap. We decided that I'll give him a call to find out how the dog's doing, and remind him that if he wants to avoid future incidents like this, he needs to keep the dog on a leash. I'll sleep better if I handle it this way. Now if I ever see him again and the dog isn't on a leash, I'm likely to unleash a verbal assault the likes of which he's never heard before. And given I was raised by a father who was a drill instructor in the US Army, I know just what to say.
Naw, you see the dog lose, even if the guy is standing there, call the dog catcher about a lose dog in the area. They can provide a lovely deterent namely a nice expensive ticket.
Old 06-10-10, 08:09 AM
pgpdlr

Bikes: Waterford RS-22;Bottechia-giro 'd italia(ca.1971)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice to hear you're ok. Also, good to see that you are not as "suit happy" or retaliation crazy as some suggestions here seem to indicate. Mistakes happen, dogs are dogs, we need to be vigilant on the bike and yes, words need to be said to the dog owners, but the rush to sue is, in many cases, unwarrented.
Old 06-10-10, 08:41 AM
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb View Post
+1

Of course if you're doing a training ride or a timed ride and don't want to stop, this is undesireable. But if you're just out for a ride or transportation cycling, this is one of the best ways to deal with a dog.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-10-10, 09:09 AM
FloridaBoy

Bikes: Rivendell Chevoit and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
Your bills may be covered under his homeowners insurance.
Old 06-11-10, 05:28 AM
Jamesw2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
+1

Of course if you're doing a training ride or a timed ride and don't want to stop, this is undesireable. But if you're just out for a ride or transportation cycling, this is one of the best ways to deal with a dog.
I ride so slow that the dogs run in front of me trying to get me to catch them. Honest The big lab ran past me slowed down and looked at me like 'your no fun'
Old 06-14-10, 12:55 PM
fat biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear abou the crash, glad it was not worse.
Get well soon.

It's great the the dog owner was upset.
Send him the bill.
Sue in small claims if necessary.

Don't think of it as a penalty, instead an education.

Jeff, still fat
Old 06-15-10, 06:46 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're OK. I got dog bit for the first time riding last week. It wasn't all that serious as the dog didn't take the chunk out that he could have and I managed to not go off the bike and got it betwixt the dog and me to end the confrontation. The owner was very good about it and the dog is gone.