Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Weight Gain and Getting Older (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/650387-weight-gain-getting-older.html)

cehowardGS 06-03-10 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by thomamueller (Post 10905458)
Just remember, unless you are obese, not losing weight is not a bad thing. When you start to lose weight without trying then you know you got a big problem. You're sick and wish you were gaining weight. I want to lose 30 lbs, but I don't lose sleep over it. It may take another 30 years to lose the 30 lbs. :lol:

Good point, and the OP was, in my humble old opinion(which sometimes can appear to be real cranky) was generalizing all 65+ people as having trouble with unwanted weight. People that are 65+ are normal people too. What is wrong with wanting to gain muscle, endurance, and a more healthy body at 65+???

Dag, I stated my opinions, gave the reasons why and I caught a lot of flak too.. :)

cehowardGS 06-03-10 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 10902525)
any thoughts on the subject? hahahaha I hate this subject! :-) yeah, it's hard. not to mention we don't produce growth hormones like a 23 yr old - so all the weight training we do - the pay back is so small. every ounce of food is critical and every hour of excercise is too. I was weight training with "comfortable" weights with little appreciable gains - so I switched to heavier weights and have been very happy with the results, but they are slow in coming. week after week, months after month, year after year I see improvement but I'm also getting older each year. its a brutal equation!

Great response! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Also, your post proves EXACTLY what I saying in my post.

In your post, if EVERYONE will notice, you don't even mention losing "unwanted weight/flab/lbs, etc", all you mentions is about GAINING. And in the GAINING, you mean gaining what ever your goals are. A more healthy body I can safely say is one of them. More important you don't even TOUCH on the losing weight, because you are focused on the OFFENSE, gaining your goals. If one is preoccupied with OFFENSE, there is no need to DEFEND. You are pushing forward with your exercise routine, not only that, you are CHANGING your routine to get the RESULTS you want. Great!! :thumb:

That is all I was saying, but I got clobbered!! :(

I will say it again. You haven't even mentioned trying to lose weight, because you so busy looking ahead to POSITIVE GOALS, and no way UNWANTED LBS/FLAB can even come into play. This is the kind of action I preach!!

I know I got a funny way of talking..:)

cehowardGS 06-03-10 05:22 AM

I think this thread is going 100 pages.;)

I got my flak jacket on too!:D

Dan The Man 06-03-10 05:38 AM

http://www.halls.md/chart/MenWeightWhite.gif

Looks like weight goes up by about a lb a year until 45-50 and then tends to go down after 50. Much of that is probably just the obese people dying early.

The Weak Link 06-03-10 07:25 AM

I just finished scarfing down a Panera Bread cinnamon crunch bagel.

YUMMY!

Loose Chain 06-03-10 08:33 AM

If you are gaining weight then more is going in than out, quite simple.

The Weak Link 06-03-10 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Loose Chain (Post 10906425)
If you are gaining weight then more is going in than out, quite simple.

WRONG!

Anyone engaged in the practice of medicine in the US of A will tell you that's not true.

We have chlorophyl receptors in our fingernails. Sunlight will cause them to generate fat. If you walk around the house you can absorb calories from crumbs others have dropped on the floor. It'll go right through the soles of your feet.

Some people are genetically programed by sinister forces to gain two pounds a week even though they only eat 250 calories a day. It's the darndest thing.

Others are born with force mulipliers that cause small amounts of food to morph into large chunks of fat.

I've stopped questioning these occurances long ago. I just accept people's histories at face value.

Loose Chain 06-03-10 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 10906516)
WRONG!

Anyone engaged in the practice of medicine in the US of A will tell you that's not true.

We have chlorophyl receptors in our fingernails. Sunlight will cause them to generate fat. If you walk around the house you can absorb calories from crumbs others have dropped on the floor. It'll go right through the soles of your feet.

Some people are genetically programed by sinister forces to gain two pounds a week even though they only eat 250 calories a day. It's the darndest thing.

Others are born with force mulipliers that cause small amounts of food to morph into large chunks of fat.

I've stopped questioning these occurances long ago. I just accept people's histories at face value.

Sorry, you can believe what you want but there are no fat people in a POW camp, you cannot grow fat if you don't take it in. Nothing cannot turn into something unless the laws of physics have been changed and even Obama cannot do that so I will stay with what I said.

BluesDawg 06-03-10 09:10 AM

:roflmao2:

This sounds about as plausible as some of the things I've read on the subject.

rck 06-03-10 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 10906516)
WRONG!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol:

cehowardGS 06-03-10 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by rck (Post 10906962)
That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol:

You are GENERALIZING. http://www.cehoward.net/badteeth%5b1%5d.gif

zonatandem 06-03-10 01:38 PM

Have always been skinny to light weight.
Current age 77, 5'7" and weigh 135 lbs.
My early childhood probably had much to do with my being skinny.
Survived World War II and 4 years of starvation as a kid in Belgium.
Two years after the war, came to the US and at age 14 1/2 I weighed 60 pounds. Yeah, we all looked like we came out of a concentration camp.
By age 19 when I enlisted in the US Air Force they almost refused to let me join as by then I weighed 108 lbs.
By 1955 when I married weighed all of 118 lbs.
Eventually as I aged have gained another 17 lbs.
Do eat very healthy (fruit/veggies); 3 small meals and do take a mid-morning fruit/coffee/cookie break. Do love a good chunk of meat and desserts.
Most days I skip dessert but love my daily dose of dark choicolate; ice cream is also a favorite. Have a glass of wine couple times a week.
Do find since I retired 15 years ago that I eat only half as much as what I used when I was working.
Cycling 100 miles a week has kept me at my desired and current weight.
My wife was 98 lbs when I married her and after 3 kids and 55 years of marriage she is 112 lbs.
She is also an avid cyclist (we ride a tandem). An active lifestyle has kept us in reasonable good shape/weight for our age.
Many Americans have a tendency now for fast food and super sizing, lots of sugary soft drinks and all-you-can-eat buffets.
While we do not 'diet', we are the ones that decide what or how much we eat.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

The Weak Link 06-03-10 02:37 PM

My diet today:

-one previously mentioned Panera Bread bagel.
-a bowl full of something in the lounge that I could not identify but ate it anyway because it was free and I was hungry.
-a chocolate-fudge brownie.
-three mini-candy bars (I hate those things!).
-one glass of Coke, the real thing.

From this I wold have to conclude my weight problem is genetic.

chasm54 06-03-10 02:48 PM

It is a fact that body fat percentage tends to rise as one gets older. And this is not just because old people sit around eating crap, it is because hormonal changes mean that it becomes more difficult to maintain muscle mass. This is not an excuse for getting fat, however. It is perfectly possible to stay in shape, obviously. And the fact that I have more difficulty losing weight than i used to has absolutely nothing to do with the bottle or so of wine I drink most days...

Dan Burkhart 06-03-10 03:15 PM

When my midsection started expanding, my doctor said to watch it, so I got it out there where I could see it good. :D

BluesDawg 06-03-10 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by chasm54 (Post 10908382)
It is a fact that body fat percentage tends to rise as one gets older. And this is not just because old people sit around eating crap, it is because hormonal changes mean that it becomes more difficult to maintain muscle mass. This is not an excuse for getting fat, however. It is perfectly possible to stay in shape, obviously. And the fact that I have more difficulty losing weight than i used to has absolutely nothing to do with the bottle or so of wine I drink most days...

This why the birthday ride gets longer each year.

talucah 06-03-10 08:11 PM

What bugs me is that not only do I not lose weight, but I have lost height from 6'2" to an even 6'. This does not help my height /weight ratio. My weight rocks back and forth between 225 and 230 lbs. Back when I was 70 my children bought me a membership to the Decatur Hospital Wellness Center and I urge every one to workout with weights as well as cardio.
Bob

Retired 06-03-10 08:19 PM

When I was 21 I was 127 lbs. I'm 62 and 143. My cardiologist told me not to loose any more weight.

cehowardGS: Do you have a Pro Card?! You could easily take 1st in Masters bodybuilding competition. I've never seen anyone your age look that good. Well done.

dahut 06-03-10 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 10894903)
How many of you are having to fight harder and harder to maintain (or lose) weight as you gain more years?

I have managed to lose a few pounds with extreme effort. I probably burn about 7,000 KCal extra (from a non-exercising person) each week from swimming, weight lifting and bicycling, and I have just about cut out all sweets, eat veggies, fruit, chicken, little red meat, no fast food, etc., etc. But, I always have to work at it, and still need to shed about 10 more pounds.

I am proud to say that I went on a 7 day cruise and did lose 2 pounds. But, hey, it is tough!!

I think this starts showing up more as you reach 65+.

Any thoughts on the subject?

You dont have to wait until 65, I can assure you. Mostly it has to do with metabolic changes the shift in endocrine balance.

cehowardGS 06-04-10 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Retired (Post 10909926)
When I was 21 I was 127 lbs. I'm 62 and 143. My cardiologist told me not to loose any more weight.

cehowardGS: Do you have a Pro Card?! You could easily take 1st in Masters bodybuilding competition. I've never seen anyone your age look that good. Well done.

you know, somebody mentioned that to me before. No, I am not going to get in to bodybuilding. I am satisfied at just pushing the aging process back, and kicking arthiritis in the butt. Yeah, I got arthritis big time in my left knee, and left shoulder. The daily exercise keeps me moving. If I dare stop the daily exercise, the age and the arthritis would gobble me up fast and in a hurry...:(

In addition, it is not about the looks, I preach that everybody can benifit from regular exercise, and to suit the exercise to your goals and body type.
Although, I would love to, there is not enough time to take on anymore hobbies!!:cry:

Thanks for the compliment..

cehowardGS 06-04-10 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by talucah (Post 10909879)
What bugs me is that not only do I not lose weight, but I have lost height from 6'2" to an even 6'. This does not help my height /weight ratio. My weight rocks back and forth between 225 and 230 lbs. Back when I was 70 my children bought me a membership to the Decatur Hospital Wellness Center and I urge every one to workout with weights as well as cardio.
Bob

Can't be said any better than that! :thumb:

cehowardGS 06-04-10 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by zonatandem (Post 10908005)
Have always been skinny to light weight.
Current age 77, 5'7" and weigh 135 lbs.
My early childhood probably had much to do with my being skinny.
Survived World War II and 4 years of starvation as a kid in Belgium.
Two years after the war, came to the US and at age 14 1/2 I weighed 60 pounds. Yeah, we all looked like we came out of a concentration camp.
By age 19 when I enlisted in the US Air Force they almost refused to let me join as by then I weighed 108 lbs.
By 1955 when I married weighed all of 118 lbs.
Eventually as I aged have gained another 17 lbs.
Do eat very healthy (fruit/veggies); 3 small meals and do take a mid-morning fruit/coffee/cookie break. Do love a good chunk of meat and desserts.
Most days I skip dessert but love my daily dose of dark choicolate; ice cream is also a favorite. Have a glass of wine couple times a week.
Do find since I retired 15 years ago that I eat only half as much as what I used when I was working.
Cycling 100 miles a week has kept me at my desired and current weight.
My wife was 98 lbs when I married her and after 3 kids and 55 years of marriage she is 112 lbs.
She is also an avid cyclist (we ride a tandem). An active lifestyle has kept us in reasonable good shape/weight for our age.
Many Americans have a tendency now for fast food and super sizing, lots of sugary soft drinks and all-you-can-eat buffets.
While we do not 'diet', we are the ones that decide what or how much we eat.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

:thumb: :thumb:

I mention that with regular exericse, HEALTHY DIET, and rest.. One doesn 't have to worry about taking on unwanted weight. And if one pushing harder on the weight training, muscle mass will come on..

Great read, great story, and in my opinion, two great people...:thumb: again,

rck 06-04-10 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by cehowardGS (Post 10907553)

Not so! I was applying Weak Link's generalization specifically to my own situation!:D

cehowardGS 06-04-10 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by rck (Post 10912331)
Not so! I was applying Weak Link's generalization specifically to my own situation!:D

Me too...:D