Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Second annual ride-my-age trip

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-01-10, 07:13 PM
Lurch
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Despite a bit of light mist early on, I left the house at 7 AM Sunday and didn't turn around until the odo showed 36 miles. That was a bit over my goal of 34, but there was something I wanted to see on that route. Got back home a little after noon and averaged just under 15mph for 72 miles, not counting four short-ish rest/comfort stops. It was actually easier than last year's 68 miles for some reason. That is encouraging although the weather was a bit cooler this year and I forced hourly stops, both of which should have helped. There must have been a hundred other bikers across and along the route roughly following old US-1 south of Raleigh. That area is sparsely populated with rolling hills and pretty scenery this time of year. This performance won't set any records, but it was personally satisfying.
Old 06-01-10, 08:50 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well done on the age ride + a few miles.

Sounds like you rode at precisely the right pace. There ought to be some sort of law that birthday rides must be at a leisurely pace allowing for proper attention to the beauty, a/k/a flora and fauna, along the way, and proper reflection on the important things like the post ride pig-out and one's next bike.
Old 06-02-10, 12:04 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not enough details- How's the butt (No pics required)- How many youngsters did you smoke up the hills?- How many Comments about the bike? and What Pie gave you nourishment?

Those early starts are necessary for us older riders- just so we can get back in Daylight and well done on the ride- but better reporting required next time

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 06-02-10 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-02-10, 08:56 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well done on the ride and I like the idea of the hourly rest stops. Like Stapfam says, however, one of those should include pie-remember it's a celebration! Happy b-day!
Old 06-04-10, 08:21 PM
Lurch
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seats are a personal preference thing if ever there was one. The current seat on my 20+ year-old Fuji Club is a $25 Planet Bike job that suits me as well as any bike seat I have ever used. That seat and rotating the drop bars upward about 15 degrees a few weeks ago have turned my old reliable into a fairly comfortable ride. My hands are the only really uncomfortable parts but that is true of all my bikes on more than very short trips. At my age I shouldn't complain though.

The only youngster I sort of smoked dropped a chain just as she was leading a group up on my tail at the crest of a hill. It made quite a loud noise, but she didn't lose control and had plenty of assistance behind her so I just kept on rolling and didn't see them again. I saw another biker drop a chain a couple of hours later; again with only dirty hands to show for it.