Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

You rode? He asked.....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

You rode? He asked.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it was Greg LaMond who said, "It never gets easier; you just get faster."
Old 06-04-10, 10:58 AM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Keep us posted on your progress. Build up slowly. And as said, keep it fun.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 06-04-10, 11:16 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I really do need to know how long something is going to take. Of course this may not be true for the OP.
Yes, but as you ride, you can learn how long it takes to get to point X without knowing what your average speed is. That's all you need.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-04-10, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little over 3 miles, I rode twice in small intervals. I am still doing that half fall thing when I try to stop. I think the location of my water bottle is messing me up, not sure. Maybe with time it will improve. I rode at a local park and had the time of my life. So pretty, deer in the fields, children playing.... truly relaxing!
Old 06-05-10, 08:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 miles!
Old 06-05-10, 08:41 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
See, you've quadrupled your mileage in, what, less than a week? That's why we're all rooting for you, as few of us are in a position to do that any more.
Don't worry if you find yourself at a plateau or even if you lose some ground at some point. Just keep riding and making sure you enjoy it.
Old 06-05-10, 08:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
See, you've quadrupled your mileage in, what, less than a week? That's why we're all rooting for you, as few of us are in a position to do that any more.
Don't worry if you find yourself at a plateau or even if you lose some ground at some point. Just keep riding and making sure you enjoy it.
Thank you!
Old 06-05-10, 08:58 PM
Flatlander

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Imagonnabike
Will do, thank you all. If I may ask, how long does it take to ride 20 plus miles?
As long as it takes. It's all relative.
Old 06-06-10, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The thing is... don't try to overdo things, but keep up the challenges. Twenty miles is an excellent target.

In any form of cycle "training", the accepted practice is to add around 10% a week to your previous week's distance. But as in any form of physical exercise, the gains when starting out can be quite rapid, so you might be able to add between 25 and 50% of your previous week's total distances.

In other words, if you ride four times this week, at a mile each time, that's four miles. Next week, do a combination that will give you 6 miles. And then around 9 miles the following week.

You can probably work out yourself from that how long it would take, ideally, to get to 20 miles in a week. Then you can go from there to doing 20 miles in a single ride.

The point about ramping up the distances gradually or gently is to ensure that you can work out any issues related to bike fit as you go (something that went to heart of your buying decision on this bike). You also are able to build your confidence in the bike and how it handles and stops, and work out the routines you need to get going, to stop, to corner, and when you encounter pedestrians, other riders or obstacles. Plus you will need to ensure you maintain your fluid intake by carrying plenty of water (especially in SA).

Eventually, you will be looking at your neighbourhood maps to identify routes that may interest you or take you places that (a) you can't access by car or (b) you've never had the inclination to explore before. That increase in fitness and reduction in weight that you are aiming for will also follow.

I know from teaching completely novice adult female cyclists how much feeling of achievement they had in being able to ride even 100 yards. So well done on getting this far.
Old 06-06-10, 06:20 PM
Flatlander

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Ignore most of the "average MPH" posts. Most are fabricated. Ride at whatever speed maximizes your enjoyment. For the first year, it's best not even to keep track.
Old 06-06-10, 08:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 miles!