Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Time to get new wheels - Recommendations ?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 05:43 AM

Bikes: Trek 5000 / Cannondale SR500 / Bianchi '79 Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am thinking of new wheelset for my trek 5000 with is 3 years old and has 3,500 good miles on it. Ultegra group with original Bontrager Select wheelset. I am hearing pings and noises now and wonder if now would be a good time for some new wheels. I am 185 # 56 yr rider that does about 1,500 miles a year , a metric a month in summer for long ride. my tire of preference has been 25mm width.. I don't want to spent a fortune on wheels but don't want to skimp as well.... thats my story ..
Old 06-15-10, 06:32 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
These guys have some good prices.
https://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/
Old 06-15-10, 06:50 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Hard to go wrong with the ubiquitous Mavic Open Pro rims, Ultegra hubs and 32 DT Competition db spokes for this application. You can get them from the place George linked for under $300.
Old 06-15-10, 10:42 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hand builts like BD suggset would be my favourite- but What do you want from the Wheel? Mavic make the Aksium wheel that is a good solid reliable wheel- bit heavy but economical and strong. I Use Shimano Ultegra's as my "Best" wheel and light- stiff and strong but I am only a lightweight at 150lbs. (And a new version came out recently so some of the "OLD" versions can be had cheap)

At 185 you will not have a problem with even the lightest wheels- but do not go too cheap. You do get what you pay for.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-15-10, 02:43 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by trek5000
I am hearing pings and noises now and wonder if now would be a good time for some new wheels.
Maybe its just time to have the spokes re-tensioned. Should be $20-$40 per wheel. Much cheaper than new wheels.

I have Mavic Open Pros (Ultegra hubs) with over 30,000 miles. All I do is have then re-tensioned periodically and have broken spokes replaced (2 spokes so far).

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-15-10, 04:42 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,468 Times in 3,217 Posts
Ron has a great basic idea. Get those fixed and use them for a spare is what I say.

Wheels are the best upgrade you can make.

Depending on your main type of riding the options and our recommendations can vary. I've got about 2500 miles on a set of Fulcrums and I like them for general purpose training wheels. Pro Bike Kit has them for a pretty good price. I'm running the Racing 5s that were stock on my bike but I would spend the money on the Racing 3s I linked. Weight for the pair is around 1675g which is probably (but I don't know for sure) less than your current hoops.
Old 06-15-10, 05:03 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Hard to go wrong with the ubiquitous Mavic Open Pro rims, Ultegra hubs and 32 DT Competition db spokes for this application. You can get them from the place George linked for under $300.
If it was my bike that's what I would do too. Not the lightest, not the most aero, not the cheapest, not the highest tech, not the most anything. What they are is a basic, reliable wheelset. Sometimes boreing is good.
Old 06-15-10, 06:02 PM
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Hard to go wrong with the ubiquitous Mavic Open Pro rims, Ultegra hubs and 32 DT Competition db spokes for this application.
I've been looking at Mavic Aksiums. Anyone knowledgeable enough to make a good comparison?
Old 06-16-10, 03:39 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by chinarider
I've been looking at Mavic Aksiums. Anyone knowledgeable enough to make a good comparison?
Fulcrum 5s
Old 06-16-10, 04:51 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
3,500 miles and you 'need' new wheels??!

Wheels on my single bike have over 10,000 miles on them.
Wheels on our tandem: 30,000 miles on front wheel; replaced rear wheel after 22,000 miles. Tandem wheels take a lot more abuse than what you can give 'em @ 185#!

Have bike shop re=true your present wheels. IF you need new wheels, buy the best you can afford.
Old 06-17-10, 12:44 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mavic CXP33 rims on 105 Hubs- (A variation on the Open Pros with Ultegra hubs)

I have The Aksiums aswell. The handbuilts are Laced with a X2 cross lacing and do give a less stiff ride than the Aksiums. The Aksiums are stiff as they have straight pull spokes. But both wheels ride well. Both are stiff and neither have given any problems. Only thing is that I would not use the Aksiums for a 100 mile ride on a stiff frame.

Either will give a good ride, Good life and few problems but "Kudos" may be better with the handbuilts.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-17-10, 03:16 PM
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Mavic CXP33 rims on 105 Hubs- (A variation on the Open Pros with Ultegra hubs)

I have The Aksiums aswell. The handbuilts are Laced with a X2 cross lacing and do give a less stiff ride than the Aksiums. The Aksiums are stiff as they have straight pull spokes. But both wheels ride well. Both are stiff and neither have given any problems. Only thing is that I would not use the Aksiums for a 100 mile ride on a stiff frame.

Either will give a good ride, Good life and few problems but "Kudos" may be better with the handbuilts.
I am relatively light (around 140 lbs). Do you think I'd find the Mavic CXP33 rims on 105 Hubs or Open Pros with Ultegra hubs more comfortable than the Aksiums? TIA.
Old 06-17-10, 03:28 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am relatively light (around 140 lbs). Do you think I'd find the Mavic CXP33 rims on 105 Hubs or Open Pros with Ultegra hubs more comfortable than the Aksiums? TIA.
I weigh 150lbs

Depends on the suspension within the bike. I have a bike that will absord road shock with the Aksiums (The lightweight Ally Boreas) but the Aksiums make the TCR-C a bit skittish. They are too stiff for the frame with my lightweight. I got the TCR to ride well with the CXP33's with 105 hubs and I dare say the Open Pros with 105 or Ultegra hubs would work the same- Providing the Lacing is X2 or X3.

But the Aksiums are now on the FCR. A stiff ally frame. Don't know what it is about the TCR but it just does not like the Aksiums.

EDIT---The CXP's give a good ride for me on all my bikes. Boreas runs with Ultegra wheels which are low spoke count straight pull spokes. (radial spokes) They are as stiff as the Aksiums but do give a better ride. And I run 700 x 23 Michelin PR 3 tyres on all my wheels so can't put it down to tyre either.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 06-17-10 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-17-10, 03:46 PM
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Depends on the suspension within the bike. I have a bike that will absord road shock with the Aksiums (The lightweight Ally Boreas) but the Aksiums make the TCR-C a bit skittish. They are too stiff for the frame with my lightweight. I got the TCR to ride well with the CXP33's with 105 hubs and I dare say the Open Pros with 105 or Ultegra hubs would work the same- Providing the Lacing is X2 or X3.

But the Aksiums are now on the FCR. A stiff ally frame. Don't know what it is about the TCR but it just does not like the Aksiums.

EDIT---The CXP's give a good ride for me on all my bikes. Boreas runs with Ultegra wheels which are low spoke count straight pull spokes. (radial spokes) They are as stiff as the Aksiums but do give a better ride. And I run 700 x 23 Michelin PR 3 tyres on all my wheels so can't put it down to tyre either.
Now I'm totally confused. Don't have the comparisons to determine whether my bike would be considered stiff or not, but I rather doubt it as it's a "relaxed geometry" aluminum bike w/ carbon fork & seatpost. I run 25 tires. The Aksiums appear a little lighter & cheaper than the others, perhaps more aero as well with the lower spoke count. I'm mainly looking to get a little lighter, better performing wheelset than the stock Alex wheels that came w/ my bike. They now have over 7,000 miles on them. On the other hand, maybe I should just stay with them as they have been virtually trouble free. Many would say I won't notice the difference anyway.

Last edited by chinarider; 06-17-10 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-18-10, 08:54 AM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New wheels

I bought Aksium Race wheels to replace the Shimanos that came on my Bianchi, they ping when climbing! I got use to the noise but they aren't good for confidence. I haven't broken any spoke nor are they out of true. I just didn't feel confident riding on them.

So I looked around and found Neuvation. Wow great wheels great reviews, one guy said he was 270 lbs and beat the crap out of them with no problems. I bought a set of M28x they came in individual boxes with extra spokes , skewers and rim tape. I just added tubes and tires and went for a ride. Great wheels, seem to go faster, smooth and no noise. I highly recommend them.
Old 06-18-10, 11:38 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You have asked for a comparison between Aksiums and the Mavic rims on Shimano hubs- so I will give you my opinion and also comapre to a wheel similar to the one you are currently using.

I have recounted this story before but my first road bike was a lowly Giant OCR3 and it had Alex rims on Formula hubs. A fairly standard stock wheel supplied on lower end bikes. 6 months into road riding and I was dissapointed in the Road bike. It was not as fast as I thought it would be- not as stable at Speed and more tiring than I expected. I went down a hill and I got 30mph and had to steer round a long corner. Only problem was that on the MTB with knobblies fitted- I used to get 37mph on the same hill and the corner was just a bit more lean for the curve. Had a chat with my LBS and got the CXP's and 105 hubs. They transformed the bike. High speed handling was better- The bike average speed on a 30mile ride went up by 2 mph and the bike felt lighter on acceleration.

Now if I were to have a choice between the Aksiums or the handbuilts- it would be the handbuilts all the time. The handbuilts feel just as stiff as the Aksiums but for long rides are not as tiring. Road jarring does get through to me eventually but for shorter rides up to 60 miles or so I do not have a real preference.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-18-10, 12:48 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Check these out. https://www.williamscycling.com/sys19/sys19.html I have the system 30s but at your weight the 19s would be perfect. Also, here is a review from a friend of mine, P/1/2, that he did for Williams. https://www.williamscycling.com/sys19/review.pdf

Last edited by Hermes; 06-18-10 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-18-10, 03:33 PM
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Check these out. https://www.williamscycling.com/sys19/sys19.html I have the system 30s but at your weight the 19s would be perfect. Also, here is a review from a friend of mine, P/1/2, that he did for Williams. https://www.williamscycling.com/sys19/review.pdf
Look nice, but more than I really want to spend, unless you know of a place where they're discounted. About $275 more than the Aksiums. The Neuvations look like a good buy too. More in the Aksium price range. In the scheme of things, I know $275 isn't that much, but as I've said, I'm not a racer and I can't really justify putting that much into an $800 bike. Not while I still have a daughter in college anyway.

Last edited by chinarider; 06-18-10 at 03:45 PM. Reason: change 175 to 275