Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Heart Rate Monitors

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Heart Rate Monitors

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 07:33 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR 3W, Giant Rincon, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heart Rate Monitors

I'm thinking about buying a heart rate monitor. What do you recommend? What features are a must have? I don't need gps and don't want to spend more than $100(approx +/-). I'm getting back into running also. I've ordered from pricepoint.com in the past - they have their brand, Sette, rather cheap $29.95 - looks like it has alot of features. Thanks
Old 06-15-10, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
$30 seems like an reasonable expense to see if you like using one. I can't think of any under $100 that I've had experience with that had qualitative differences worth arguing about. But there are a lot out there and maybe others have a better sense of choices.

Edit: I did have one from Oregon Scientific (I think that was the name) that I couldn't get to work despite trying and trying. Anything within 20 yards that was wireless caused problems with it.
Old 06-15-10, 07:47 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All I want out of mine is heart rate, I don't care about the other features. The only thing I insisted on was being able to change the battery in the chest sensor, some you have to send back to the manufacturer for battery replacement.
Old 06-15-10, 07:57 PM
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use HR as information and feedback, not to control what I'm doing. Therefore, I don't need/use hi/low alarms. Depends on what you want to do with it. If all you want is HR, get the cheapest one you can find. As CF says replaceable batteries are nice. Even if you don't want gps, you can get one that doubles as a bike computer pretty reasonably priced, but you may need to skip that if you want one you can wear on your wrist for running too.
Old 06-15-10, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you want a HR monitor or a bike computer with a HR monitor built in?

Option 1: HR monitor with watch on your wrist. Can use running or cycling. Wally World or Dicks Sporting Goods. Do not buy Nike brand no matter how cheap, junk.

Option 2: Look on Scambay for Blackburn Delphi 5.0 has HR and cadence option built in. Last years model and can be had for less than your target price.
Old 06-16-10, 06:24 AM

Bikes: 1995 Raleigh, 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Sportline HR wrist type. I paid $50 bucks for. It died 6 months after I purchased it. I called customer service and they sent me 2 more. The second one died a month after the first and the third died 4 months after that. I took that one apart and got it back together and it's been working since. I cannot use the ones with the chest strap because of my ICD implant. It knocks my heart rythms out of wack.
Old 06-16-10, 08:28 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Do you want a HR monitor or a bike computer with a HR monitor built in?

Option 1: HR monitor with watch on your wrist. Can use running or cycling. Wally World or Dicks Sporting Goods. Do not buy Nike brand no matter how cheap, junk.

Option 2: Look on Scambay for Blackburn Delphi 5.0 has HR and cadence option built in. Last years model and can be had for less than your target price.
For option 2 there is the Polar CS100... non-serviceable chest strap though. I have had reliable service from this unit and it can be had or $100. Cadence costs extra with this one.
Old 06-16-10, 08:52 AM
Old Fart

Bikes: 09 Specialized Sirrus Expert; 09 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am partial to Polar HRM's. I use mine for feedback only as I have mine set to % of HRmax. For example I know that if I am in the 75-80% range I can keep that pace for an extended period. Hitting 95% and I am good for a short time without any recovery. My chest strap battery can easily be changed. The kit comes with a handlebar attachment for the watch. But mine cost a little more than $100.00.
Old 06-16-10, 11:32 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a polar heart rate monitor. It does not have bells and whistles. All I use it for is heart rate for right now. I like the chest strap. I think the chest strap gives a more reliable reading.
Old 06-16-10, 02:15 PM

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
I have the Blackburn Neuro 6.0, heartrate with replaceable battery (shows L1-L5 zones times, average and max HR) and wireless cadence, plus sensor is on the chainstay so you can use it with a trainer.
Old 06-16-10, 04:10 PM

Bikes: Klein

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two HRM:a Timex T5G941 and a Pro-Form Precision XT.

The Timex is simple - 3 buttons and one of those is the backlight. It keeps track of the average and maximum heart rate and the activity time. The Timex seems to get a strong signal from the chest strap and seems reliable. This was a gift a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure what the price was then. I think you could find one less than $40 now.

The Pro-Form Precision XT has many more features: chronograph, user info input, time in zone, time above zone, time below zone, activity time, calories burned, and more. The Precision XT HRM is not as reliable as the Timex. I wore it on a 45 mile ride and got a minimum HR of 0 BPM and a maximum of 220 BPM with an average of 142. Since I'm still alive, I don't think the 0 or 220 BPM were accurate. This HRT was sold as various brandslike Pro-Form, Reebok, and others. I paid $25 and shipping for it from someplace like Woot.

IMO, the Timex is a better HRM and the Precision XT is a better watch, but both are adequate for basic info to assure you're not over-reving the heart.
Old 06-17-10, 12:22 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Do you want basic or with whistles and bells?

Both can be had but I always use Polar- Except I now have a garmin aswell- and never had any problems with them. But have heard good things about Timex aswell.

Spike Milligan