Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   A Remembrance Ride Today (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/654662-remembrance-ride-today.html)

cehowardGS 06-15-10 08:44 PM

A Remembrance Ride Today

Back in 1954 at the Middle School that I went to, I used to get out early so I could ride my bike. I would rush home, (a few blocks away), and get my Western Flyer bicycle, and cruise back to the school. I would ride around the school about 5 or 6 times. My Western Flyer was a showboat. Turn signals, horn, front suspension, rear springs, I think.

Anyway, today I rode my 85 Raleigh Competition, and I rode by my old school. I rode the same route I rode in 1953 and 1954. I circled the school 4 times, I think I rode back in time today. I could hear the other kids screaming, me trying to show off in front of the girls. Kind of hard to believe that was over 54 years ago! Time has flew from 13 years old to 69 years old!!

However, here I am riding the same route as I rode when I was 13 or 14 years. I am riding much faster now, and still silly as I was back in 1954..

Riding is great, tell me life isn't sweet!! :D

doctor j 06-15-10 08:47 PM

I did something similar to that a few months back, except that I don't have any old bikes. The ride was completed in nothing flat. It wasn't nearly as far as it seemed when I was in school. Neat ride!

Gyro 06-15-10 09:43 PM

Hmmm, I was born in 54 :) I know how you feel, to a point. I ride around my old elementary, high school pretty much every day. Major bike path is in their back yard. Some times it feels weird, the first time I took my wife around the elementary school. I pointed to the class room I spent six grade. The school I vote at was my K thru 5 grade school.

cehowardGS 06-16-10 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by doctor j (Post 10968975)
I did something similar to that a few months back, except that I don't have any old bikes. The ride was completed in nothing flat. It wasn't nearly as far as it seemed when I was in school. Neat ride!

I know it was a great ride! :thumb:

doctor, I wish we could find a TIME MACHINE, and go back to that time, and keep all the wisdom and knowledge that we have gain throught the years. Would be sweet, I tell you that!! :)

Good peddlin to you,

cehowardGS 06-16-10 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gyro (Post 10969211)
Hmmm, I was born in 54 :) I know how you feel, to a point. I ride around my old elementary, high school pretty much every day. Major bike path is in their back yard. Some times it feels weird, the first time I took my wife around the elementary school. I pointed to the class room I spent six grade. The school I vote at was my K thru 5 grade school.

You are a youngster!!:) Just kiddin..

I will do the elementary school ride sometime next week. In elementary school I had one of the small children's bike..Didn't get to a full 26 until I was 12 or 13..Dag, I can't remember that exact years!! :)

One thing we all will agree on, TIME FLIES!! :)

Safe peddlin to you,

gcottay 06-16-10 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by cehowardGS (Post 10968958)
. . . Riding is great, tell me life isn't sweet!! :D

And posts like yours make it all the better.

ahsposo 06-16-10 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by doctor j (Post 10968975)

I look back on what I considered "epic" rides when I was younger and just laugh!

cehowardGS - How come you didn't ride your bike to school?

Torgrot 06-16-10 10:45 AM

I live in the town I grew up in. I remember riding my bike to grade school well, but in the early sixties, I would never have ridden my bike to high school. It just wasn't cool, and at that age, I would never have done anything that wasn't cool, besides my bell bottoms would have gotten all tangled up in the chain. I have ridden to both today, and I am amazed at how short the distance is via a bike. When I get to the schools though, there aren't any bike racks to lock them to, so I guess nobody rides a bike to school today. The block I grew up on there were at least 25 kids of various ages living there. I live only a few blocks away today and I think there is on person younger than 18 living in the neighborhood. Smaller families these days.

cehowardGS 06-16-10 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by gcottay (Post 10970513)
And posts like yours make it all the better.

You made my day!! :thumb:

Happy Peddlin to you, :beer:

cehowardGS 06-16-10 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 10970896)
I look back on what I considered "epic" rides when I was younger and just laugh!

cehowardGS - How come you didn't ride your bike to school?

Ha, it would have been gone by lunch time!! :cry: No, it would have been gone 5 minutes after I parked it outside..:(

I lived in the inner city.

Shucks it was a choir to get home without being bullied!! :(

Those were the times... And even though some of the times were hard, it was still good times...:)