Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

RtR Day 6

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 09:21 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
RtR Day 6

Five down and 1 to go! Another gorgeous route of 91 miles today to Alamosa. We climbed up to almost 11,000 ft doing Wolf Creek pass. It was 5-6 per cent grades the first 8 miles and then averaged 8 per cent to the peak at 24 miles.

I loaded up on the hot cakes and sausage again at the first rest stop. They were even better today. I hope they are there again tomorrow!

My legs were really feeling the week and I did the climbs just fine but definitely used an easier gear than the start of the week. Mid ways up the climb a tractor trailer had overturned on its side in a switchback but the driver is ok. Free Pepsis for all falling out the back of the trailer!

Beautiful scenery on the way up and back down-post card type stuff. I was able to take lots of photos on the bike.

The descent was another really fast one for at least 10 miles. In fact I hit 55 mph on one stretch. We had to slow down for a couple tunnels plus you had to be really careful with so many riders on the road. Most were trying to keep it under 30 mph so closing speeds were an issue.

The remaining miles were fairly flat but unfortunately we got into some really serious crosswinds for at least 50 miles. I was able to hook up with several groups which helped some. We even got into a double pace line for a 15 mile stretch which they discourage but it was obvious all the riders in our group were comfortable and experienced riders.

I'm very gassed tonight. Not only are the miles and days piling on it was warmer today and I probably did not eat enough. I also did not sleep well last night as the temps got down to 28 degrees and there was frost on my bike this am! I was so cold I abandoned my tent at 3 am and went inside the school and laid down in a hallway for 2 hours. I had on layers of clothes but it didn't help enough.

I joined up with a couple guys from Iowa for supper at True Grit (steakhouse full of John Wayne stuff)and we had a wonderful time trading stories. Everyone-riders and locals- being overly friendly is just another terrific attribute of this event.

Signing off to get some sleep!
Old 06-18-10, 10:02 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No round of golf after the day's ride? Tsk, tsk.....
Old 06-19-10, 04:59 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

Beautiful scenery on the way up and back down-post card type stuff. I was able to take lots of photos on the bike.
I'm looking forward to the pictures

I hope you took your winter riding gear for those temps!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-19-10, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to Go! Having lived in Pagosa for 5 Winters I know about the picture postcard views and It's not uncommon for a big rig to lose it on Wolf Creek pass. My husband is curious what kind of gearing you used on the pass. Thanks for the great descriptions of this event.
Old 06-19-10, 09:07 AM
Aluminum Convert

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job on the pass. I have driven that pass several times in all sorts of vehicles including my motorcycle. I can't imagine climbing that thing on a bike.
Old 06-19-10, 09:46 AM
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wolf creek pass by c w mccall

https://s0.ilike.com/play#C.W.+McCall...73abc940e4c554

frm song "a 37 mile hell of a hill"
Old 06-19-10, 10:23 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colorado dale
wolf creek pass by c w mccall

https://s0.ilike.com/play#C.W.+McCall...73abc940e4c554

frm song "a 37 mile hell of a hill"
Now I know who route the song for that 1978 movie "Convoy" - his style didn't change one bit. Cute song, not what I'd sing climbing a long steep grade though.

My favorite song for climbing:https://www.last.fm/music/The+Allman+.../Whipping+Post
Old 06-19-10, 09:13 PM
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's a decent video of wolf creek pass with the song wolf creek pass playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHb_0Lhegig