Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace -then and now.Advances in technology...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'm presently looking for a bike for my brother.I'm looking on line in craigs list and e-bay for great deals for higher end bikes.I came upon a titanium framed 2001 litespeed Tuscany very lightly used with Dura Ace all around for $2000 dollars and suggested it to him pointing out brand new it was $4000 dollars.He nixed it saying he doesn't want to spend $2000 for a 10 year old bike.He qualified that by saying that in 10 years there have been so many technological advances that certainly the components are outdated.Are they?Is Dura Ace today much better than it was 10 years ago?Was that a good deal?Are bikes today so much superior to 10 to 20 years ago?Thanks for the input.
Old 06-20-10, 11:37 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I wouldn't worry about riding on 10-year-old Dura Ace equipment if it truly is lightly used and you find someone competent to check it over. I think they came with a CF fork standard; I'd have a shop inspect that for any signs of damage.

But titanium frames in particular seem to hold their value well.

I think in 2001 Dura Ace shifters and cassettes were 8 speeds -- you'll need to understand that when the chain and cassette wear you won't be able to get brand new high-end Shimano gear but there are still new mid-level Shimano cassettes made in 8 speeds, and other parts you can track down on eBay. If he ever wants to upgrade to 10-speed shifting he could just get modern shifters and and a new rear cassette. Brakes and wheels should be fine.

My only question is the price. $2000 seems high to me - I would think a 10-year Litespeed would be closer to $1200 to $1400, depending on wear.
Old 06-21-10, 03:59 AM
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 2001, it would have DA 7700 which is 9 speed.
Old 06-21-10, 05:50 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
If he's looking for something to impress his buddies with the (former) size of his wallet, then certainly skip it.

If he's looking for something that's rock solid, dependable and a good value, a ten-year-old Ti frame hung with 9-speed Dura-Ace is pretty hard to beat.

Then again, I'm biased since I recently acquired just such a beastie.

I have 10-speed, 9-speed and 8-speed bikes. I'm coming to view 10-speed as somewhat more frail and considerably overpriced. All you get over 9-speed is an 18-tooth cog (on a 12-23 cassette). Chains are two to three times as costly and don't last nearly as long.

True, the top 9-speed cassette you can get is "only" Ultegra, but Ultegra is plenty good enough for me. YMMV.

EDIT: I think $2K might be a little high. I ended up paying about $1,500. I overpaid a bit for the Ti frame, but I also got a nice steel frame with the components.

Last edited by tsl; 06-21-10 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-21-10, 07:15 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
In 2001, it would have DA 7700 which is 9 speed.
Even better. Plenty of 9 speed parts around today.

check out values on eBay, Serrotta Forums, local craigslists around the country. I guessed $1200 to $1400 above; maybe I'm too low. If it's local, you trust the seller, you can inspect before purchase (instead of waiting for a "mystery package" to arrive from afar), and it's lightly used -- all those things are worth a bit more.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 06-21-10 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-21-10, 10:18 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with the points made by tsl & BB. Nothing wrong with 9 speed, rode it for years (mine was campy veloce) and it is indeed very durable.
$2K is steep, but I would present the seller with some comparative data and
use the arguments your brother is using - it's only 9 speed, out dated, used, ... see if he won't budge on the price.
TI will always hold it's value.
Old 06-21-10, 11:28 AM
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
If he's looking for something to impress his buddies with the (former) size of his wallet, then certainly skip it.

If he's looking for something that's rock solid, dependable and a good value, a ten-year-old Ti frame hung with 9-speed Dura-Ace is pretty hard to beat.

Then again, I'm biased since I recently acquired just such a beastie.

WOW TSL! That is a beauty! I'm happy for you and trying hard not to be too envious! You've got to tell me all about it soon. I've been lusting for a Ti frame for a while.
Old 06-21-10, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We're passing on this Litespeed.Thanks everyone who responded!!My interest in the whole affair was I would have ridden it for a couple of weeks till it was shipped to Colorado to its new owner(my brother)Boy would that have been fun!!My present ride is a 1989 Trek 330 which I love!!A bit heavy but in great condition.I bought it about 6 weeks ago and it had the original tires!!I'm commuting 20 miles a day to and from work and at the advanced age of 54 I'm starting to feel the thrill of athletic endeavor again and the joys of good health! I just wish I had started cycling 20 years ago!Love this site and especially this forum!