Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Shock! Horror! Badger Moves (well, kinda!) to the DarkSide! A Cautionary Tale. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/657036-shock-horror-badger-moves-well-kinda-darkside-cautionary-tale.html)

badger1 06-24-10 12:41 PM

Shock! Horror! Badger Moves (well, kinda!) to the DarkSide! A Cautionary Tale.

So here I am at 58 (soon 59), having taken up cycling again in '02 after receiving the usual
50+ warning following annual physical.
Been averaging 6k or so kms/year since, all done on a heavily-roadified/upgraded mtb.

Always had a desire to ride a 'road bike.' In '05, bought/soon returned a Trek FX -- harsh/ugh!
In '07, bought/soon returned a Giant OCR -- loved it except hated the drop-bar configuration (in retrospect, I think a fit issue).

To this year: tested/hated a Giant Rapid 1 (harsh/ugh!) in early Spring. Then, my beloved LBS became a full-line Specialized dealer. On the floor: 2010 Sirrus Comp. "Ooh, that looks nice/wonder if the likes of me could ride that?" Two-hour test ride: fit perfectly, not-harsh/yay!!; bought it.

I've now been riding this thing for just on a month, and I have to admit 'addiction' is setting in! I find myself staying off the MUP, and looking for the 'long way' on secondary roads to and from work through the week, etc. etc. Can't believe it!

Some disturbing symptoms, though. For example, I now check to ensure that my sunglass arms are over, not under, my helmet straps. I worry that my cycling socks may be too long or too short to comply with the 'rules.' What is happening??:D

More seriously, I'm simply happy that I've found this bike; it really has (for me) opened up an entire new cycling experience, even if it's not a 'road bike' in the 'road race bike' sense. Now ... I wonder what that Roubaix Comp might be like ...

The Weak Link 06-24-10 12:50 PM

Whatever you do, do not be caught wearing your bib straps over your jersey. That would be fashion suicide.

BTW: I overheard a bunch of racer-types on a group ride talk about faux-pas they have seen, and one said he saw a n00b wearing his bike shorts inside-out with the chamois on the external surface.

And I would go ahead and order the Roubaix Comp. It's a hot bike.

badger1 06-24-10 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 11013078)
Whatever you do, do not be caught wearing your bib straps over your jersey. That would be fashion suicide.

BTW: I overheard a bunch of racer-types on a group ride talk about faux-pas they have seen, and one said he saw a n00b wearing his bike shorts inside-out with the chamois on the external surface.

And I would go ahead and order the Roubaix Comp. It's a hot bike.

Took me until 2005 to persuade myself I could wear regular cycling shorts (until '07 before I realized the chamois went on the inside:D) -- bibs are a ways off yet!
Re. the Roubaix: not yet; I'll need to apply at least a year or so's worth of grovelling servility to Mrs. Badger before that can happen!.

stapfam 06-24-10 01:12 PM

I rode MTB's for 16 years and if anyone was not going road- it was me.

Then one day I wandered into the LBS and there was a brand new- first the shop had- Giant SCR3. (the new OCR3 to you) Sat on it- looked at it- tried the next size up in the old model OCR and bought it. It was such a pretty bike and as my first foray into riding with my head between my knees- it was cheap. The MTB didn't get out much but 6 months later and I nearly went back to MTB's The drop position was not comfortable- the size was wrong and it did not go. Practiced the drop position- got better wheels- adjusted the ride position so be more comfortable and 6 months later bought my first decent road bike. 6 months later my second one to replace the OCR as it definitely was the wrong size.

Road bikes are different and if you have been on Hybrids or MTB's for a long time- they will take a lot of adjusting to. But when you get used to them- have it fitting right and they start giving enjoyment- You will not go back. Although my little foray on the Tandem last weekend has made me realise how much fun offroad is.

But your Sirrus is one of the bikes I would recommend to anyone. They ride well. But it does cause a problem in that you start associating with the wrong type of people. They are normally younger than you- slimmer (A lot slimmer except for the legs) and they wear this fantastic cycling clothing. They then tell you that they are wearing Club colours and they invite you along to a meeting. Then "We have a gentle ride on Sunday- do you want to come with us?"

Just one word of warning- Take the visor off the helmet before you ride with them- you will need all the aerodynamic assistance you can get.

ahsposo 06-24-10 03:17 PM

Good for you.

As for the rules don't worry. If you are posting here it's a good chance that no matter how "correct" you are you still be a fred. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Funny you mention the arms on your sunglasses. Years ago "Bicycling" had a StyleMan column and he addressed this. As I remember the answer was very short. Like "outside the straps" and that was it. I'd never really paid any attention to it. So I pay attention. I tried it both ways deliberately. I find it more comfortable having the outside and the strap pressure can force them down my nose. Plus I ride in the deep South and right now through mid-September I'm taking them off to wipe my face every other kilometer it seems and the arms just naturally go outside when I put them back on. If I were to want them on the inside I'd probably crash trying to get them there.

I guess I am amazed that anyone would really care what somebody else is wearing or how.

gtragitt 06-24-10 03:29 PM

I still have my 2002 Sirrus. It is a good bike.

badger1 06-24-10 04:54 PM

@Stapfam: I sorted the visor thingy a long time ago; never could stand 'em!
@ahsposo: no delusions! I am, and will always be, uber-Fred!
Badger

Hermes 06-24-10 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=badger1;11013033]So here I am at 58 (soon 59), having taken up cycling again in '02 after receiving the usual
50+ warning following annual physical.
Been averaging 6k or so kms/year since, all done on a heavily-roadified/upgraded mtb.

Always had a desire to ride a 'road bike.' In '05, bought/soon returned a Trek FX -- harsh/ugh!
In '07, bought/soon returned a Giant OCR -- loved it except hated the drop-bar configuration (in retrospect, I think a fit issue).

To this year: tested/hated a Giant Rapid 1 (harsh/ugh!) in early Spring. Then, my beloved LBS became a full-line Specialized dealer. On the floor: 2010 Sirrus Comp. "Ooh, that looks nice/wonder if the likes of me could ride that?" Two-hour test ride: fit perfectly, not-harsh/yay!!; bought it.

I've now been riding this thing for just on a month, and I have to admit 'addiction' is setting in! I find myself staying off the MUP, and looking for the 'long way' on secondary roads to and from work through the week, etc. etc. Can't believe it!

Some disturbing symptoms, though. For example,
I now check to ensure that my sunglass arms are over, not under, my helmet straps. I worry that my cycling socks may be too long or too short to comply with the 'rules.' What is happening??:D

More seriously, I'm simply happy that I've found this bike; it really has (for me) opened up an entire new cycling experience, even if it's not a 'road bike' in the 'road race bike' sense. Now ... I wonder what that Roubaix Comp might be like ...[
/QUOTE]

That is way too advanced. You will scare the bejesus out of the Freds.:innocent:

badger1 06-25-10 08:48 AM

That is way too advanced. You will scare the bejesus out of the Freds.:innocent:[/QUOTE]

Hah! Not bl__dy likely! My inner Fredness shines forth like a beacon of dorkitude, enveloping all the Unshaven with a warm blanket of acceptance.

John E 06-25-10 08:58 AM

I prefer drop bars, which I have used continuously since age 12, but the best bike for you is the one you enjoy riding.

My problem with straight bars, such as those on my mountain bike, is the single hand position, with no neutral "handshake" wrist orientation. I solved this by installing perpendicular extensions on the ends of the bars.

badger1 06-25-10 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by John E (Post 11017233)
I prefer drop bars, which I have used continuously since age 12, but the best bike for you is the one you enjoy riding.

My problem with straight bars, such as those on my mountain bike, is the single hand position, with no neutral "handshake" wrist orientation. I solved this by installing perpendicular extensions on the ends of the bars.

I refuse to have my thread hijacked by the drops v. flats debate (j/k :D)
Seriously (and as you say) for now flats (with bar-ends) work for me. I've never had, and still don't have, trouble with 'em even on longer rides; some cyclists can't stand them, and prefer drops.
To my mind, the major advantages of drops are the inherently more aerodynamic position, and slightly more efficient muscle recruitment consequent on that position, and not so much hand positioning, and I probably will at some point try again provided my extremely wonky/arthritic spine permits.
For now, though, I'm more than happy enough with the 'leap' from roadified mtb to flat-bar road bike:thumb:

backinthesaddle 06-25-10 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 11013033)
I worry that my cycling socks may be too long or too short to comply with the 'rules.'

More important: what color socks??? :D

Anyway, sounds like you're having a blast, keep it up! Amazing what a difference bike choice and fit can make, there's a reason for all those seemingly trivial threads in these Forums beyond mere obsession.