Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

At 51, she's still at it.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8263 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts

Jeannie Longo won another title in the TT. Amazing.

https://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...e-trial_122899
Old 06-24-10, 02:56 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,468 Times in 3,217 Posts
Her average speed over the course is a good short burst for me. Behind a bread truck. Going downhill. With a tailwind.
Old 06-25-10, 08:25 AM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

I have heard about and watch Jeannie Longo for her entire career. I also had the privilege of "racing" against her several years ago. She was preparing for the worlds in Hamilton, Canada and she ended up doing this 90 mile race in SoCal that went up San Jacinto (near Palm Springs). She finished (in the top 10?) while I DNF'ed with about 10 miles of climbing to go.

During one of the lulls on flat terrain I spoke to her for about a minute. I can't remember what we said but she was very pleasant and spoke English pretty well.

Great to see her continuing success.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 06-25-10, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
She is indeed something special. I wonder what her competitors think when they see she's entered in the same event? Maybe: "Oh, not again. Will she ever retire?"
Old 06-25-10, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From what I've read, her mother was a gym teacher and both parents got her and her sisters involved in various sports in their youth, not necessarily competitive sports, but sports to keep them healthy. She's always been athletic and turned to cycling when she didn't make the French national ski team. She trains hard and stays in shape. Her continued success in a demanding sport is a prime example why parents should encourage their children to be physically active and should better control their diets. Unfortunately, far too many children in this country spend too much time in sedentary activities, like computer games and watching TV. They also eat far too much processed foods that are high in trans fats. If only we could encourage healthy life habits.
Old 06-25-10, 01:57 PM
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a thread in the road forum about this. I haven't read it, but from the title I gather the thesis is that women's cycling is a joke if a 51 yo can win. I wonder how many of those guys would say that if they raced against her. OTOH, the knock isn't really against her, but women's cycling. I can kind of see the point.
Old 06-25-10, 02:36 PM
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just went & read the road forum thread (4 pages). The consensus seems to be that she's just a great & determined rider. However, there is also a contingent that feel it is a reflection on French women's cycling (it was the French national title she won for those, like me, who didn't read the article linked to). I had never heard of her before, but don't really follow pro racing. Just the obvious well known names.
Old 06-25-10, 03:01 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
I think an equally good measurement of athletic capability is the Olympic Games. In Beijing in 2008, Longo came in 4th in the individual time trial missing the podium by 1 second. Kristin Armstrong of the USA won. Coming in 5th was a local woman from our Webcor Builders pro team Christine Thornburn.

I cannot speak about Longo but Christine is an amazing cyclist. In our local time trial she has the record for the fastest time for women (she holds most records at most of the local time trial races) and there are only a few men that can beat her. She beats all the women - Olympian dah.

August 13, 2008: 2008 Olympic Games - Beijing: Women's time trial (23.5 km):
1 Kristin Armstrong (United States) 00:34:51:72
2 Emma Pooley (Great Britain) 0.24.29
3 Karin Thurig (Switzerland) 0.59.27
4 Jeannie Longo-Ciprelli (France) 1.00.90
5 Christine Thorburn (United States) 1.02.44

Anyone who thinks Longo is not a great cyclist and competitor or thinks women's cycling is a joke is uninformed. Longo may be one of the greatest athletes of all times. Time will tell.

Last edited by Hermes; 06-25-10 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 03:21 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chinarider
There's a thread in the road forum about this. I haven't read it, but from the title I gather the thesis is that women's cycling is a joke if a 51 yo can win. I wonder how many of those guys would say that if they raced against her. OTOH, the knock isn't really against her, but women's cycling. I can kind of see the point.
This is a very misogynistic post. I'm sure she could beat many male cyclists. It always amazes me how some think like this. I will say that the segregated male version of the sport has a muddied reputation at best that may get even worse as federal criminal probes on doping commence in earnest.
Old 06-25-10, 04:45 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And why is it, Chinarider, that you can "kind of see the point" that the knock is really against women's cycling?
Old 06-25-10, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Extraordinary athletes can be so at any age. Longo trained specifically for this event (TT) whereas others may not have. It also depends on the field as not all cyclists compete in all events. She was the best of the day.
Old 06-25-10, 05:58 PM
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
This is a very misogynistic post. I'm sure she could beat many male cyclists. It always amazes me how some think like this. I will say that the segregated male version of the sport has a muddied reputation at best that may get even worse as federal criminal probes on doping commence in earnest.
Originally Posted by arkansasgal
And why is it, Chinarider, that you can "kind of see the point" that the knock is really against women's cycling?
I believe I said that she would beat many male cyclists. I am not a historian of cycling, male or female, and don't pretend to be. But the idea that her win is a negative sign for French women's cycling (not womens cycling, since she won a French championship) is not a knock against women. It is a somewhat logical thought that if women cyclists lived up to the potential that women have shown in other sports, a 51 yo would not be able to win. So when I said her win could be legitimately seen as knock on women's cycling, the "knock" is not that women aren't capable, but that the younger cyclists should be doing better. As I said, I'm not a historian of cycling and I never heard of Longo before. It may well be that she is just an incredible, once in a lifetime cyclist capable of overcoming the usual age related decline. If that's the case, it doesn't detract from her younger competitors. Still, it's hard to imagine this happening in the male side of the competition.

As far as the "muddied reputation" of male cycling, I agree that the same is well deserved. But that has nothing to do with the idea that a win by a 51 yo may say something about the level of the competition.

Last edited by chinarider; 06-25-10 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 06:47 PM
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To further the thought, perhaps the question should be, would a 51 yo Longo beat a 28 yo Longo? If not, where are all the 28 year olds who should be leading the pack? I don't think my original post or any that followed were misogynistic (unless any male having a thought about a "women's issue" is thought, by definition, to be misogynistic. An idea I reject.) If anything, my posts reflect an age bias. But as a soon to be 58 yo, I think they reflect reality. If a 51 yo male won an open pro race, my first thought would be that it must have been a weak field.
Old 06-25-10, 06:58 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just trying to see where you were coming from. If I understand it correctly, you are simply saying that Longo at age 51 won the French National TT Championship because of the low level of French women's competition, and would not have won if the younger French women cyclists were doing better. In other words, the field is not deep.
Old 06-25-10, 07:10 PM
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arkansasgal
If I understand it correctly, you are simply saying that Longo at age 51 won the French National TT Championship because of the low level of French women's competition, and would not have won if the younger French women cyclists were doing better. In other words, the field is not deep.
Yep. I'm also open to the possibility that she is just such an incredible athlete that she was able to overcome the usual age related disadvantage. Probably both factors are in play here.
Old 06-25-10, 09:32 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Fifteen miles at 24.9 mph is pretty good. I'm not sure why she's dominating the younger women, though. It doesn't seem that fast.
Old 06-25-10, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by chinarider
It may well be that she is just an incredible, once in a lifetime cyclist capable of overcoming the usual age related decline. Still, it's hard to imagine this happening in the male side of the competition.
To the first point, yes she is.
To the second, ever hear of Ned Overend?
Old 06-25-10, 09:56 PM

My friend who was a top pro raced against Jeannie a few times. She said the reason the other women didn't like her was the fact she was so hard to beat, not that she wasn't a nice person. They would get upset whenever she would show up at a race, or come out of "retirement".
Jeannie slapped my friend after a stage at the Women's Challenge one time. She doesn't know why, she thinks it was a case of mistaken identity.
Old 06-25-10, 10:51 PM
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
To the second, ever hear of Ned Overend?
Sounds vaguely fmiliar, but that's all. I'll guess he's an older male who kicks ass (google here I come).
Old 06-26-10, 10:17 AM
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Longo may be one of the greatest athletes of all times. Time will tell.
Allez Allez Longo!!!

train safe-
Old 06-26-10, 03:54 PM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually she's fading. She may have won the time trial, but she only came in third in the road race (failed to win the double this year).
Old 06-26-10, 06:12 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Fifteen miles at 24.9 mph is pretty good. I'm not sure why she's dominating the younger women, though. It doesn't seem that fast.
When the men's national Masters TT was held at Taylorsville last year, the winner of the 46-50 group pulled over 29 mph over the same distance and on a very windy day.

Significant? Maybe yes. Maybe no.

I watched some of the national Masters races when they were here. The winner of the m