Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding The North Rim - Grand Canyon - my vacation I need a vacation from

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding The North Rim - Grand Canyon - my vacation I need a vacation from

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice pictures. My brother and i ran down to the bottom and back up the same day. We went down the south rim. It was 1970, we did not trust the mules. It was one tuff hike out. Back then heights did not bother me, however now it does. Good report, if the food was good then the trip was a winner.
Old 06-30-10, 05:23 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
. . . and elevation on North Rim is 8,000 ft (1,000 ft higher than South Rim).
If you are not acclimated to higher altitude, some folks have issues for a day or so.
If you want to see the scenery, it's best to stop and look.
Had one fellow on a South Rim trip that tried to rubber-neck and do 40 mph . . . wrecked a bike and had some road rash.
Wow! Didn't realize it was that high! Thanks for the note.
Old 06-30-10, 08:38 AM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was everyone using full suspension bikes or were some on front suspension only?
Old 06-30-10, 11:02 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cone Wrench
Was everyone using full suspension bikes or were some on front suspension only?
Everyone had fullies and frankly I can't see doing it on anything but but of course, I'm sure, they are some hard core folks who do. The trails were just so rocky and gnarly, you needed the suspension to smooth things out.

If I had it to do again, I might trade my 4" travel bike for something more "all mountain" with 5 " of travel. Of course, that makes the climbing even more difficult. Part of my difficulty descending was the bike would just to start to rattle out of control. I guess I should have adjusted the shock... but oh well. Next time!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-30-10, 12:05 PM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pamestique -
Talk about good timing! Thank you for posting this trip report - that exact trip is the gift I want for my up coming 50th birthday (not an original idea after all is it?! )

Can I ask you a few questions?
In the picture of the trail that runs close to the lip of the canyon, it looks like there is a little bit of a shoulder between the trail and the drop off. Is that as close to the edge as the trails get, or are there sections where there is no shoulder, just the trail and then the void? I can deal with is pictured - but a trail and the void, maaaybe not!

Did you have to rent the camping equipment? Or did you bring your own?

When you guys turned around on the 24 mile ride, was there a sag wagon you could take, or was there just a shorter trail to ride to the next camping spot?

Thanks!
MissJean
Old 06-30-10, 01:03 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by missjean
Pamestique -
Talk about good timing! Thank you for posting this trip report - that exact trip is the gift I want for my up coming 50th birthday (not an original idea after all is it?! )

WS is offering a discounted trip in Bryce/Zion for 1/2 price I think sometime in July. You might want to followup on that.

Can I ask you a few questions?

In the picture of the trail that runs close to the lip of the canyon, it looks like there is a little bit of a shoulder between the trail and the drop off. Is that as close to the edge as the trails get, or are there sections where there is no shoulder, just the trail and then the void? I can deal with is pictured - but a trail and the void, maaaybe not!

I cannot lie, there are parts where the trail is right on the edge, I mean right there. I walked through those parts. But there is less that than the other. Also, some of the forest trail is very narrow, hardly wide enough to get a foot now if you need to stop. Once you go, you must commit to the descent or just start out walking. I surprised myself what I could do since I couldn't stop if I wanted to.

Did you have to rent the camping equipment? Or did you bring your own?

I brought all my own, especially a nice comfortable pad. But WS rents camping gear as well as bikes.

When you guys turned around on the 24 mile ride, was there a sag wagon you could take, or was there just a shorter trail to ride to the next camping spot?

All of the trails were out and back (except the first and last day - which were the shortest). Because it is very narrow singletrack, there is no sag wagon. You start out at the campsite and the guides are riding out there with you (so no one to drive a truck). You have to decide when to turn back to finish the ride which is why I turned back at 7 1/2 miles versus 12. There were only two camp spots (which was nice). You ride to the first spot on Monday. Set up Camp. You ride out and back Tuesday. Wed. break down Camp and travel to next site. That afternoon (after a hike and visit to the lodge) set up Camp of North TImp Point. Ride out and back and back to the same camp. Friday, break down camp and ride out.

Thanks!
MissJean
Let me know if you have any other questions

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-30-10, 02:48 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great pics, Pamestique. Our bike club is riding from the north rim east to Page, then around to the south rim, this August (all road btw). I dont think I can go, but, after seeing this post I may try to work it in!
Old 06-30-10, 04:22 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW! That sounds like quite the adventure. Although I am a roadie at heart, and the roads around the Canyon are in nice shape, those grandpas with motor homes scare me! Still should be beautiful. If you go please post pics.

Old 07-01-10, 09:24 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pamestique
WOW! That sounds like quite the adventure. Although I am a roadie at heart, and the roads around the Canyon are in nice shape, those grandpas with motor homes scare me! Still should be beautiful. If you go please post pics.
I will Pamestique. I am going to ride in 2 weeks in the White Mtns of eastern AZ.. so I will try to post some pics from it. and, btw, most of us going from our club are 50+ (57, 58 in July)
Old 07-01-10, 11:14 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am also looking forward to wearing bibs on both days. The first day I will wear my new Pearl Izumi bibs the first day. that is 60+ miles from Pinetop to Springerville. I am kind of considering wearing my Performance bibs the first day, then the PI bibs the second day, since it has a 15 mile 6% climb to start.
Old 07-01-10, 12:42 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by az_cyclist
I am also looking forward to wearing bibs on both days. The first day I will wear my new Pearl Izumi bibs the first day. that is 60+ miles from Pinetop to Springerville. I am kind of considering wearing my Performance bibs the first day, then the PI bibs the second day, since it has a 15 mile 6% climb to start.
Do the PI bibs climb better?
Old 07-01-10, 01:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Do the PI bibs climb better?
they feel better.... mainly the insert feels better