Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone try the Selle SMP?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 11:21 AM

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone try the Selle SMP? It is supposed to end numbness.
A buddy got one. It has a huge cutout. But he just turned 60 and is in denial, so he ordered the model without padding!!
Think the SMP stands for Save MY Pecker.
Old 09-03-08, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one on my road bike and I like it. In fact, I'm looking for another one for my rail trail bike. I've used a noseless for many years, and the SMP looks a little more normal and is more stable. I like it better than the noseless.
Old 09-04-08, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My saddle test fund is currently at a $0 balance. Let us know how it works out.
Old 09-04-08, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've got their Strike Pro on my road bike. The shop recommended it after I complained about numbness on long rides. My only complaint is that after a year and a half, the upholstery (not sure what the material is) started peeling off from the edge of the saddle. I bought some shoe goo, and glued it back down and the repair seems to be holding up. I would expect a little better wear from a $250 saddle.
Old 09-04-08, 07:46 PM

Bikes: Lemond Zurick, BF Pocket Crusoe, Trek 2120, Iron Horse Maverick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have about 300 miles on a Selle SMP Glider. I liked it when I first tried it and now I like it even more. No numbness and plenty of ride positions on it. The only problem is now I want this saddle on all my bikes!
Old 09-05-08, 05:21 AM

Bikes: Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you look around at performance there is a low end SMP for about $100. It is the same design as the high end ones but has a vinyl cover. My wife has one and she loves it. She first has a wider one that was more suited to a more upright position. We found the narrower one more suitable to her position.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5210

Last edited by shmulb; 09-05-08 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-05-08, 06:35 AM
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like very much. Have 2 Gliders. Very very excellent. Only saddle that works for me after my nuts problem (the lower nuts, not the head nuts!).
Old 09-05-08, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode one very briefly and found the profile to be just a bit too rounded for my taste. I prefer a flatter platform on the rear of a saddle. But different fits for different backsides seems to be the norm.
Old 09-05-08, 07:53 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
One can judge the lack of agreement about the perfect saddle by looking at the numbers of different saddles available over the counter. I can think of nothing, even bike shoes, that comes close to saddles level of variety.
Old 09-05-08, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SMP is fantastic!

The first time in my life I've ridden without numbness.

I immediately noticed more pressure on my sit bones... and realized that was because for the first time there was NO pressure on my prostate... i.e. my prostate WAS NOT contributing to holding me up!

I'm also able to tilt my pelvis forward and flatten my back--thus putting me in a far more aerodynamic position than I have ever before achieved.

Finally, due to the opening running the length of the saddle, more air circulates around the privates and I've not had any itching issues since switching to the SMP.

It's a big time winner.
Old 09-05-08, 10:10 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thegreatdelcamo
The first time in my life I've ridden without numbness.

I immediately noticed more pressure on my sit bones... and realized that was because for the first time there was NO pressure on my prostate... i.e. my prostate WAS NOT contributing to holding me up!

I'm also able to tilt my pelvis forward and flatten my back--thus putting me in a far more aerodynamic position than I have ever before achieved.

Finally, due to the opening running the length of the saddle, more air circulates around the privates and I've not had any itching issues since switching to the SMP.

It's a big time winner.
Too much detail .
Old 09-05-08, 11:47 AM

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
I purchased a Glider a few months ago. First saddle I've had where I didn't get saddle sores...it's the huge cutout. However tweaking this thing has been the PIA! I'm currently running it at 7 degrees on a Tompson post. Can someone let me know how they are angling it?

At 12 deg,( which is downward) I felt like I was being thrown forward so I've gone to 10, 8 now 7. Flatter still?
Old 09-05-08, 12:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Run mine pretty much flat.
Old 09-08-08, 09:33 AM

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Save my ....

So, SMP stands for Save My P................?
Old 09-08-08, 10:05 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,459 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
I purchased a Glider a few months ago. First saddle I've had where I didn't get saddle sores...it's the huge cutout. However tweaking this thing has been the PIA! I'm currently running it at 7 degrees on a Tompson post. Can someone let me know how they are angling it?

At 12 deg,( which is downward) I felt like I was being thrown forward so I've gone to 10, 8 now 7. Flatter still?
Interesting saddle. I was parked on the side of the road where numerous cyclist park to begin rides. One of my buddies stopped at the car and asked if I had a wrench to adjust his SMP. I did and he said that it was a great saddle but the tilt angle was critical to comfort. I suspect it is trial and error.
Old 09-08-08, 10:09 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Selle's website describes the design thusly:

"The central channel of the saddle is an uncommon characteristic because of its dimensions: almost a whole hand can be put in there and this prevents crushing of the anus, prostate, venae pudendae, deep dorsal vein and artery of the penis, scrotum and testicles in men, and the labia majora and minora and the clitoris, in women."

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/ready_to_strike.htm

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-08-08, 10:12 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,459 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Selle's website describes the design thusly:

"The central channel of the saddle is an uncommon characteristic because of its dimensions: almost a whole hand can be put in there and this prevents crushing of the anus, prostate, venae pudendae, deep dorsal vein and artery of the penis, scrotum and testicles in men, and the labia majora and minora and the clitoris, in women."

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/ready_to_strike.htm
Since you have taken it upon yourself to post this info, you might want to include pics for those of us who may be sketchy on anatomy.
Old 09-08-08, 10:18 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't look at me. Perhaps TWL can provide further enlightenment.

All I know is if I was required by law to use their Full Carbon SMP, that I would have to give up biking.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-08-08, 02:26 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My primary concern about these SMP saddles is that if I rode one with my baggie shorts, that the opening may be large enough to get something caught in it.

All of a sudden getting caught in a clipless pedal doesn't sound all that bad.

Old 09-08-08, 04:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried the SMP and returned it after one - 80 mile ride. Didn't like it - very uncomfortable.
Old 09-08-08, 04:46 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dlharrison
I tried the SMP and returned it after one - 80 mile ride. Didn't like it - very uncomfortable.
Which one? Aren't there about 6 or 7 different models? With several different levels of padding.

Old 09-08-08, 08:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a Selle SMP stryke. Once fine tuned, liked the saddle very well. It does afford you additional room, especially when you have a belly taking up some of the boys room. Wish I could afford one of the carbon fiber models.
Old 09-09-08, 08:37 AM

Bikes: Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought an SMP Glider and had my first ride on it last weekend. Did about 55 miles and it was definitely more comfortable for me than my two previous saddles, a Terry Fly and a Forte SLX. I have it set so that the flat portion in the middle of the saddle is tilted slightly down at the nose, about 1/8 inch over the length of this flat portion. It is hard to say exactly what the angle is with this saddle since the top is not at all flat. The back of the saddle angles up and the nose angles down. I never appreciated the purpose of the drooped nose until I rode the saddle. It doesn't catch on the fabric of my shorts when moving from standing to sitting the way my other straight nose saddles do. Very nice feature.

All the pressure from this saddle seems to come directly on the sit bones. It feels like I am sitting on two narrow rails that fall right under my sit bones. I have virtually no pressure in front of the sit bones. On any other saddle that I have used, I have to angle the nose down a lot to get this pressure relief and then I feel like I am always sliding forward. As I move back on the saddle, I get into that portion on the rear that angles up and this gives some change in the pressure. This allows me to vary my position slightly and change the pressure points for relief when needed. The ventilation from the big cutout is very nice also.

I will need more time on this before I'm completely sold, but my initial impressions are very good.
Old 09-14-08, 10:14 PM

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog

Re-adjusted again. Now at 6 degrees.
Old 06-28-10, 09:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about ready to spring for one of these-- the TRK model for $38. Anybody feel strongly pro or con? I'm 65 and have the modest prostate enlargement which is normal for my age according to the doctor--no problems but I don't want to create any problems!

I have 2 bikes (with 2 different saddles) now. On my touring bike I have the Brooks springer which is very heavy and does not provide much bump relief since I am not heavy enough (150) to compress the springs hardly at all. At least it's wide enough to spread the load.

On my road bike I have the Profile Designs tri-stryke saddle It's not too uncomfortable, but it seems too narrow--All my weight is concentrated right in the middle, and when I scoot back to try and find a wider perch, it feels like I'm gonna slide right off the back of the seat onto the rear wheel.

I feel pretty helpless trying to pick a saddle--who the hell knows how it's gonna feel until you're the proud owner. Can you tell right off the bat if a saddle is going to work for you (and send it back if it doesn't)--or do you have to accustom your arse to the thing over a period of time--like how long?

Fortunately I'm not overly sensitive back there, but I'd like to have a saddle that will allow me to expand my riding time to several hours. From what i read, the SMP is supposed to be good for that.

EDIT: OR I could solicit recommendations and buy several saddles and try them all briefly and just keep the one that seems best, if you can make a judgement after just a couple of rides . . . ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
23428..jpg (9.5 KB, 10 views)
27879..jpg (4.4 KB, 132 views)
41908Ndpp6L._SL250 .jpg (8.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by ClarkinHawaii; 06-28-10 at 09:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.