Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   My next tire. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/661015-my-next-tire.html)

ecrider 07-09-10 05:54 PM

My next tire.

My stock Vittoria Radonneur has worn out after 3,500 miles. It's been a good tire. Hardly any flats on commutes. In fact, most of my flats usually are discovered after the ride when I'm about to take the bike out again.

Question: Should I buy another Vittoria or try for a Schwalbe Supreme (or something of that sort). The tire is for a tour bike (32c). My sole criteria is reliability.

Also, should I go ahead and replace the front at the same time?

ciocc_cat 07-09-10 05:57 PM

If you're happy with the Vittoria then why switch? I'd go ahead and replace both tires, though.

cyclinfool 07-09-10 06:07 PM

+1

XR2 07-09-10 06:11 PM

If it matters I'm pushing 300 LBS and run Schwalbe Marathon 368s. No flats since October '09. And the roads I ride look like WWII.

tsl 07-09-10 08:25 PM

Thirty-five hundred miles on a rear tire isn't too awfully bad. That's what I got on the stock Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires that came on my Portland. If you like the tire, buy another one.

Advice I heard very early in the game--and that I've practiced since--is to buy tires in sets of three. The rear always wears at roughly twice the rate of the front, so you'll already have a replacement. Plus, in case of serious damage, you already have a spare.

So buy the third tire of this set and save the decisions for another 3,500 miles.

Dan Burkhart 07-09-10 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by ecrider (Post 11086982)
My stock Vittoria Radonneur has worn out after 3,500 miles. It's been a good tire. Hardly any flats on commutes. In fact, most of my flats usually are discovered after the ride when I'm about to take the bike out again.

Question: Should I buy another Vittoria or try for a Schwalbe Supreme (or something of that sort). The tire is for a tour bike (32c). My sole criteria is reliability. Also, should I go ahead and replace the front at the same time?

If your sole criteria is reliability, ahead of weight and rolling resistance, I'll vote Schwalbe Marathon Plus. As close to an indestructable tire as I've ever found.

BluesDawg 07-09-10 08:37 PM

I'm with tsl. Get another Vittoria for the rear and replace both when it wears out.

badamsjr 07-09-10 11:10 PM

Whichever tire/s you decide to get, I agree with tsl. Buy three and when the rear gets a flat wear spot in the center of its tread about 1/4in wide, put the front on the rear, the new one on the front, and use the one coming off the rear as a spare.

stapfam 07-10-10 12:08 AM

I used the Marathon on the Tandem as a good robust tyre. That vehicle does take weight but I was never Fully happy with the grip. When up for change- I went to a Conti tyre of some description and grip was better but they did not last as long.

The Marathons are a good long lasting tyre but if you are happy with the Vittoria- then stay with them.

And I always buy tyres in singles. New one on the front and the front goes on the rear.

kr32 07-10-10 03:52 AM

I find change a hard thing to do. I would stay with what you are happy with.
But.......when I do make a change I find sometimes they pay off.
I am thinking of trying Michelin Pro Race 3's instead of Conti 4000s but I believe the Pro's wear too fast so I have not pulled the trigger yet.

To all the "keep the worn out for a spare gang"..... Keep it for a spare what? If it is worn out and you are replacing it, what in the world are you going to use it as a spare for?
I know I must be missing something so please help. I kept a few worn as "spares" and just kept looking at them hanging on the wall as I installed a new tire when I needed one. I threw them all out a few months ago, I got tired of looking at them.

badamsjr 07-10-10 10:32 AM

kr32: I would not suggest keeping a tire that is WORN OUT. I would use one from the rear that has worn the center of the tread flat to about 1/4in as a spare. It makes it easier to fold, is slightly lighter, and has shown that it is reliable up to this point. On long tours (where I would be most likely to carry a spare) this tire could safely (IMHO) be used on front OR rear.

The 1/4in I am talking about is that flattened center of tread where the 'casting flash' starts life. A narrow band will start to appear when the tread starts to wear. When this band gets to be about 1/4in wide, I start moving tires around.

If someone cuts a sidewall badly, or has a blowout, they would be glad they had a spare.:)

kr32 07-10-10 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by badamsjr (Post 11089426)
On long tours (where I would be most likely to carry a spare)

If someone cuts a sidewall badly, or has a blowout, they would be glad they had a spare.:)

Okay, I get this. I seldom ever think about tours because I have never dome one.

stapfam 07-10-10 11:03 AM

Many signs that a tyre is worn out and the obvious one is visual. You may be lucky enough to run a tyre down to the canvass without the other problem coming in of an increase of punctures. That is the main sign I get that a tyre has less rubber on it for optimum use as less rubber for Thorns etc to penetrate is a sure sign that a tyre is getting worn. Rear tyres will be the one to show wear first and a definite flat area across the tread is giveaway that the tyre is past its best. This is the time to start looking for a new tyre (s) and I normally take the front tyre and put this on the back- and put the new tyre on the front. I only buy one replacement tyre at a time- mainly for expense- but also there may be a newer tyre out that I would like to try at sometime but if I have a "Spare" new tyre on the shelf- I would be loath to change. Tyres are like many bike components and they do get improved over the years.

And worn tyres get chucked. I have taken them off the bike because I don't want to use it- so why keep it?

And KR2--I had to upgrade to PR3's from PR2's as the 2's are no longer available. Haven't seen any increase in wear or performance- But my son-in-law that runs PR2's cannot keep up with me on the fast downhills. He has to back off for the curves- but that may be down to the rider and not the tyres. I chose Michelins over Conti's initially as I have had a few worries over the sidewall shedding threads on the Conti's previously. But from what I have heard- the tyre performance and life is about the same between the PR3's and the 4000s'

ecrider 07-10-10 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 11087616)
Thirty-five hundred miles on a rear tire isn't too awfully bad. That's what I got on the stock Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires that came on my Portland. If you like the tire, buy another one.

Advice I heard very early in the game--and that I've practiced since--is to buy tires in sets of three. The rear always wears at roughly twice the rate of the front, so you'll already have a replacement. Plus, in case of serious damage, you already have a spare.

So buy the third tire of this set and save the decisions for another 3,500 miles.

Sounds like sage advice. Plus I only spring for one tire this time around. However, I never seem to be content with the status quo so I will be looking for that ultimate tire during the next 3500 miles.

ecrider 07-10-10 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 11089549)
Many signs that a tyre is worn out and the obvious one is visual. You may be lucky enough to run a tyre down to the canvass without the other problem coming in of an increase of punctures. That is the main sign I get that a tyre has less rubber on it for optimum use as less rubber for Thorns etc to penetrate is a sure sign that a tyre is getting worn.

You know, I discovered I needed a new tire when changing a flat. Until then I didn't notice the tire's core showing through. I was just bragging the previous night to my son how I hardly ever get a flat when... you guessed it.

NVanHiker 07-11-10 09:40 AM

Consider a 32c Bontrager Hardcase - fast-rolling and bulletproof.

NOS88 07-11-10 09:45 AM

I've got the Marathon on my touring bike and will replace it with the same when it wears out. Why fix what isn't broken?

billydonn 07-11-10 10:35 PM

Shoot, I say try something new! Why not experiment? You can always go back to Plan A if it's required.

ecrider 07-12-10 07:33 PM

You're reading my mail, billydon. I am taking tsl's advice and ordering one more of the same tire to finish off the current set. However, on the next set I will be looking for something new. I have a 32c tire and reliability is my main criteria. I've read good things about Schwalbe Marathons. What else is out there worth looking at? Money (within reason) is no object.

billydonn 07-12-10 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ecrider (Post 11101554)
You're reading my mail, billydon. I am taking tsl's advice and ordering one more of the same tire to finish off the current set. However, on the next set I will be looking for something new. I have a 32c tire and reliability is my main criteria. I've read good things about Schwalbe Marathons. What else is out there worth looking at? Money (within reason) is no object.

Marathon Supreme 32c.... you cannot go wrong with it. They are pricey. Have a reflective sidewall you may or may not like...

http://www.schwalbetires.com/marathon_supreme

Edit: If you want a tire with a little more tread than the Supreme, there is a new Schwalbe Marathon Dureme that I have heard really good reports on! I just did a 70 mile day with my Supremes on dry crushed limestone and they performed very well. They are excellent on roads too, obviously. For coarser surfaces or mudishness the Duremes might be the ticket.