Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   You know you're getting stronger when.... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/661479-you-know-youre-getting-stronger-when.html)

Yen 07-11-10 02:15 PM

You know you're getting stronger when....

... you reach the top of an easy/moderate incline, wonder where that "really tough hill is" up ahead, and realize you just finished climbing it and it doesn't seem anything like the "tough hill" you used to dread.:thumb:

... you are maintaining a pace for many miles with the faster riders in the front of the group and reach your destination with them, instead of miles behind like a few months ago...:o

... when the fastest rider you used to be miles behind says "you did great!" while you're still keeping pace with her at the end of the ride. :)

George 07-11-10 02:43 PM

All the above of course, but when the low numbers show up at the doctors office, it's a plus.:thumb:

cyclinfool 07-11-10 02:44 PM

Yes - that is a great feeling. How about when a metric is considered just a normal Saturday afternoon ride and no longer an "event"

Yen 07-11-10 03:01 PM

cyclinfool: Very true --- 50 miles used to be the next goal; now it's 70. 50 miles is getting shorter and shorter.

Red Rider 07-11-10 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 11094103)
... you reach the top of an easy/moderate incline, wonder where that "really tough hill is" up ahead, and realize you just finished climbing it and it doesn't seem anything like the "tough hill" you used to dread.:thumb:

... you are maintaining a pace for many miles with the faster riders in the front of the group and reach your destination with them, instead of miles behind like a few months ago...:o

... when the fastest rider you used to be miles behind says "you did great!" while you're still keeping pace with her at the end of the ride. :)

:thumb: WTG!

rubic 07-11-10 05:05 PM

All of the above. In addition, one of my metrics is how I feel for the rest of the day and the next day after a tough ride. When I feel refreshed and not wiped out, I know that I am getting stronger.

DX-MAN 07-11-10 06:54 PM

When last year's challenges are dull.

When you're not paying attention to what gear you're in, and then suddenly check and realize you're a gear higher than you were last month.

When the misery of pushing yourself is no longer miserable.

jppe 07-12-10 02:14 PM

You climb a hill pretty easily and realize that you're still in the big ring????

cranky old dude 07-12-10 05:04 PM

.....when your comfortable cruising pace is considered fast by the group's strong riders.

soma5 07-12-10 07:15 PM

Hey, good to see you again. Congratulations on the good form! It does feel mighty good.

ecrider 07-12-10 07:36 PM

When those strong afternoon seabreezes no longer have you dreading the commute home during the hot summer weather.

JohnDThompson 07-12-10 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 11099814)
You climb a hill pretty easily and realize that you're still in the big ring????

You climb the big hill easily -- on your fixed gear bike.

oilman_15106 07-13-10 11:10 AM

As said above. The main question is can you go out and do it the same way tomorrow? To me that is when you are really getting stronger.

bikegeek57 07-13-10 01:04 PM

ah the joy of knowing you are making progress. those hills are getting smaller and the wind is always at your back? nice feeling. time to change up the route. :innocent:

Good to hear from you Yen.

Barrettscv 07-13-10 01:11 PM

When your riding partners are getting younger.

BlazingPedals 07-13-10 02:41 PM

LOL - this reminds me of a time many years ago. As I remember, this hill was on the last day of a tour (when everyone was tired,) and looked like a cliff, with the road going straight up & over. It was the final hill in a long series of roller-coaster hills. Across both lines of the road was painted a giant smiley face, and although it was fairly steep, the reason the smiley face was there in the first place was that it was the last hill in the series. The hill was known as 'Mt Smiley.' Several years after getting my first recumbent, I was taking the hills hard, charging down under full power and then using my momentum to help get me over the next one. My head was down, figuratively, when at the top of one hill there was a big crowd of people. A friend saw me and yelled, "Hey John are you going to stop?" I responded back, "what for???" It was only after I'd responded and was looking for the inevitable next downhill that I realized there wasn't one and that must have been THE HILL. Gave me a rep that lasted for years.

crtreedude 07-13-10 05:56 PM

When you come up to a hill you used to spin up and you decide you can't bother downshifting, so you just stand up and power up it - and pass the bus. (okay, the buses here are REALLY slow, but still)

rubic 07-13-10 06:18 PM

When I use similar perceived effort up a hill, it never seems to get any easier. However, when my form is good and I am stronger, I get up that hill quicker.

bradtx 07-13-10 07:30 PM

Yen There are a couple of things that tell me when I'm doing better...upshifting on 'the hill', the pace line is 2 MPH faster when I'm in front and how quickly I recover at a rest stop. Of those three the third is most important.

Brad

Allegheny Jet 07-14-10 07:16 AM

...when you are riding with the usual buddies, and realize at the close of the ride that you lead the entire time.

Sculptor7 07-14-10 07:23 AM

...you increase your average speed 4 miles an hour per year. Last year, at age 74 I was doing 10 mph. This year, at 75, its 14 mph. At an annual increase of 4 mph by the time I am 80 I will be averaging 34 mph, right?

bradtx 07-14-10 08:35 AM

Absolutely, Sculpter7.

Brad

Phil85207 07-15-10 09:51 AM

For me its when I loose the weight I promised myself I would loose. The last few pounds are always the toughest.

Connell 07-15-10 10:37 AM

When you're grinding your way up a long hill and thinking to yourself "I don't understand it. With the amount I've been riding, this ought to be getting easier." Then you look at your bike computer and realize you've ridden up it in a fraction of the time it used to take you.

Frobozz 07-15-10 12:32 PM

You start out thinking "I'm going to take it easy today" and end up doing a PB.